The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 26, 2019, 09:26:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Museum of Power & Promenade, Maldon Essex 9 April 2011  (Read 8903 times)
Mary-Mary Quite Contrary
Gunner
England England

« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2011, 02:16:51 pm »

Oh no, quite! Slip of the keyboard there. The fairies will be entirely real too! They only look a bit stiff and cardboardy because of the special filters required to capture their image - their ethric radiations are too subtle for the human eye you see!

What larks, Pip, what larks!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2011, 02:51:17 pm »

Of course they aren't fake - she just sends the film to Boots the Chemist in the time machine and that's how the prints come back. We do it all the time!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
lady heather
Deck Hand

mad, bad and dangerous to know !

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2011, 03:31:59 pm »

of course - I should have quessed
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2011, 03:44:41 pm »

Excellent photos Mary. Have you considered sending copies to Lee in the Q.O.D. thread.
 He seems to have similar anomilies occuring at his branch of Boots. Smiley Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2011, 05:30:25 pm »

"an inpertenant fellow"!!??

How rude! Wink

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Mary-Mary Quite Contrary
Gunner
England England

« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2011, 05:51:31 pm »

QOD's doing some fabulous stuff there Rockula! Especially the ones of yourself & Captain D.
The fantasy back drops he's working in with the foreground 'cartoonised' figures are quite superb.

Note to self: must get hold of some decent software...  Grin
Mary-Mary Quite Contrary
Gunner
England England

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2011, 06:00:50 pm »

PS if anyone does want their pics sent over to QOD for a makeover as R suggests, PM me?
Ambrose Booth
Deck Hand

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2011, 06:26:56 pm »

Such truly diverting and impressively executed daguerrotypes, my dear!

Thank you for sharing.
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2011, 06:46:44 pm »

Marvelous capture of a wonderful day.  Yes.  I must work on my faerie attraction kit.  So much to do, before that outing.
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2011, 03:48:22 pm »

Would anybody be interested in writing a report on the Maldon gathering for the League of Essextraordinary Gentlemen Website?
The site is still in development, and I have had other commitments on my time, but the Maldon Gathering was our third event, so it is time I constructed an events page.
If you would like to send me a writeup of the Museum of Power gathering, please send it to the email address at the bottom of the website home page.
Also, Mary Mary, may I use some of your modified pictures to illustrate the event report, and the website as a whole? Credit will be given.

Finally, as the plan is to hold a gathering roughly every two months, are there any ideas for a June/July event, and are there any volenteers to organise it?
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2011, 04:16:20 pm »

Whilst not attempting to coerce or persuade you good people in any particular direction my I point out that the Grand Steampunk Art exhibition opens at Kew on the 4th of June.  Whilst not in Essex as such it is most certainly within reach I am sure and it may be the ideal opportunity for the League to mix with the wider steampunk community and indeed promote itself to potential members.*

I have a meeting with the Trustees tommorrow and hopefully will be able to post firm details over the next week or so.

* I hope to be able to offer publicity opportunities for steampunk groups, organisations and crews at the Exhibition.

BE SPLENDID!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2011, 04:21:18 pm »

Grand Steampunk Art exhibition opens at Kew on the 4th of June.

It does!? Blimey! June and July are really starting to fill up with events!!
Mary-Mary Quite Contrary
Gunner
England England

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2011, 05:08:28 pm »

Mr. Addams, re: the pics - yes I'd be delighted (once I have necessary access to Broadband - a week or so I think).
Re: the 'report', as I wasn't there all day I'll decline that one.

TimeTinker, I've never yet visited Kew, but if the Steampunks are going I may like to tag along...
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2011, 06:53:14 pm »

Oh dear... 
I am now heavily tasked with a 5 CD project from Folk and Blues music forum of which I am a member.  Can't possibly provide a report on the Maldon expedition. 

But do not despair.   Ambrose (my dear partner in time) has just offered that he will try to draft something for you.   

As to Kew....  We are booked for a couple folk music camping weekends.  I believe Mary is joining us for both.  Depending upon work and other commitments we might be able to manage weekend of 11-12 or 25-26 June trip to Kew.  Mary as always invited to join us if we do attend. 

In fact we have lots on from late April through August.  Folk Festival season is upon us.  to carry on the aside if I may, The Sweeps Festival in Rochester Kent, a morris extravaganza on the High Street with loads of free live music often boasts a number of Victorians, wandering about the town.  30 April through 2 May. http://www.medway.gov.uk/leisureandculture/events/sweepsfestival.aspx

I believe Mistress Mary Contrariwise was hoping to pull together a faerie safari and photo shoot at Tropical Wings in South Woodham Ferrers at some point this summer.

I am off now to send a thank you email to Susan and Museum of Power.

TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2011, 07:19:09 pm »

Of course people will be welcome to visit the Steampunk Exhibition at any time between June 4th and August 29th.

The main event weekends are:
June 4th/5th (Opening weekend)
June 25th/26th (Punk makers and workshops)
July 16th/17th (Steampunk Fashion Weekend)
July 30th/31st (Steampunk Rocks)

Will the League be attending The Asylum?  Would there be anything you might like to do to promote the League there?
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2011, 07:40:05 pm »

<snip>

The main event weekends are:
June 4th/5th (Opening weekend)
June 25th/26th (Punk makers and workshops)
July 16th/17th (Steampunk Fashion Weekend)
July 30th/31st (Steampunk Rocks)
August 13th/14th (Mad Science)

<snip>

Fixed that for you, we wouldn't want to neglect our mad scientists would we?

Also I believe the 4th of June may involve a certain degree of convivial drinking at The Express, as it's my Birthday.  Event overview thread is here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:44:49 pm by Major Willoughby Chase » Logged
Mary-Mary Quite Contrary
Gunner
England England

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2011, 08:07:57 pm »

Bums, Calliope you are quite right. Prior arrangements for the weekend of the 4th.

Otherwise, yes, I have been sort of wittering about this 'Faery Safari' as you neatly put it. I flagged the notion up on the Yahoo group, but only have one other taker so far.

Major WC (smile), Mad Science = Yummy Science! I think that's the one I'd be most curious about!
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2011, 08:13:22 pm »

I had missed out the science weekend advisedly since the other four are aimed at steampunks and will include steampunk exhibitors, traders and a social event on the Saturday evening.  The Mad Science weekend (although most certainly entertaining and I will be there anyway) does not have the same social features.
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2011, 08:20:10 pm »

Awwww, I was rather looking forward to the Mad Science Cry
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »

Although Kew is a simple journey from here for us (we just take the tube to the end of the District Line) I would just mention that a number of the Leagues' 'Usual Suspects' will not be able to attend on Saturday 16th July as we are already booked for the Chap Olympiad on that day.

However, we may attend one of the other dates.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the 'Steampunk Rocks' event. Is it a day of music or a gathering aimed at geologists? Wink
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2011, 08:33:02 pm »

Steampunk Rocks is music based Grin

Although the geologists would make a welcome addition.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth anyone?
Mary-Mary Quite Contrary
Gunner
England England

« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2011, 08:42:36 pm »

FAERY SAFARI

I fancy having a go at doing a couple of documentary and narrative style photographic projects involving cooperative Steampunkers in their 'natural habitats' so to speak. Just for a bit of silly fun.

The first idea I've begun exploring is a fairy hunting expedition. Part of which may involve a possible trip to the 'Tropical Wings' Butterfly House in South Woodham Ferrers

http://www.tropicalwings.co.uk/tropical_house.aspx

The idea would be to make an affectionate nod to the Cottingley Fairies affair:

http://www.cottingleyconnect.org.uk/girlfairy.htm

and Conan Doyle's associated 'The Coming of the Fairies'.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/cof/index.htm

So far I've discussed the idea with Calliope & Ambrose. Calliope is looking into improvising some fairy hunting accessories - and Lady Heather has made noises of encouragement (as well as promises of faeries in her garden).

Some further period context to the idea from a (heavily edited by me) chapter about Fairies and the Victorian imagination here:

"Antiquarians of the romantic era had begun the quest for fairies, and throughout Victoria's reign advocates of fairy existence and investigators of elfin origins included numerous scientists, social scientists, historians, theologians, artists, and writers." [...]
"Many agreed with the geologist and folklorist Hugh Miller (The Old Red Sandstone, pp. 222-23) and the novelist Charlotte Bronte (Shirley, p. 576) that the fairies were leaving England. The nation was growing too industrial and technological, too urban and material for their health and welfare." [...]
"Perhaps ... it was the Victorian concern with origins, a concern aided and abetted by developments in the sciences and social sciences, that promoted the serious study of supernatural creatures. The same habit of mind that made George Eliot's Casaubon seek a "Key to All Mythologies," and impelled her Lydgate to search for the primitive tissue underlying all life, sent folklorists and anthropologists in quest of explanations for the origin of the fairies--and for the origins of belief in them. Some of those explanations were religious, some scientific, some historical; they ranged from the Theosophical belief in the existence of elementals (the spirits of the four elements) to the argument for a worldwide, prehistoric dwarf population. But all shared a common assumption that the truth of fairy existence could and would be discovered--and by some sort of scientific or verifiable means." [...]
"Some were content to argue by "authority," contending that additional and reliable witnesses had reported the same or similar experiences. Others pointed to the evidence provided by physical phenomena and artifacts or tokens. Rural folk still collected elf-shots or fairy bolts (prehistoric flint shards or arrows), as well as fairy pipes (small pipes often found near prehistoric monuments), but so, too, did folklorists. Fairy rings were located and examined, though most scientists believed that they had been produced by fungi rather than
by fairy feet." [...]
"Victorian Spiritualists, Rosicrucians, and Theosophists grounded their faith on their sectarian theologies, although they generally insisted that their evidence was scientific. [...]
"From popularizations of Darwin's theories and vitalistic views of evolution came the widespread notion that fairies were life-forms developed on a separate branch of evolution. Though he did not speak specifically of fays or gnomes, Alfred Russell Wallace had suggested that there were "preter-human discarnate beings" who shared the world with man (Oppenheim, p. 326). Spiritualists, Theosophists, and Victorian occultists, eager to escape the depressing implications of Darwinist materialism, were in agreement with him." [...]
"Occultists like Charles W. Leadbeater, who considered the elfin tribes "an evolution apart" (Hidden Side, p. 84), were quick to articulate and systematize the evolutionary relations of fairies and mortals. Devoting an entire chapter of The Hidden Side of Things (1913) to fairy evolution, Leadbeater described nature spirits, including gnomes, fairies, undines, sylphs, and elementals, as the aboriginal peoples: "the original inhabitants of the country, driven away from some parts of it by the invasion of man" (p. 84). As humans derived from mammals, so some of the elfin tribes evolved from grasses and cereals, others from reptiles and birds, and still others from sea flora and fauna." [...]
"Psychic-evolutionist and "naturalist" approaches such as those of Bishop Leadbeater prepared the way for the acceptance of the Cottingley fairy photographs of 1917--pictures in which small creatures with bobbed hair and butterfly wings frisked in the midst of nature" [...]
"Thus, for occultists, at least, Darwin did not empty the world of nature; instead, he peopled it with other if invisible species. The world the occultists created--or perceived--was as richly teeming with life as the visible realm. And they truly believed that the progress of science would reveal the actual existence of the tribes and species they described."
(from: Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness. By CAROLE G. SILVER)

Anyone else want to play? I may compose another thread about the idea at some point, but thought as this one's still up and running I might as well stick it here for now..
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2011, 08:55:00 pm »

I think it's time these different events had thier own threads or at least were put in the main League thread.

Otherwise other interested parties may not have the opportunity to participate.
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2011, 09:14:20 pm »

I think it's time these different events had thier own threads or at least were put in the main League thread.

Otherwise other interested parties may not have the opportunity to participate.

Links to KBSM event threads that already exist.

25th/26th June http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29880.0.html

16th/17th July http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29879.0.html
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »

A Head of Steam at the Museum of Power

Attended by:

Ambrose Booth
Angus Fitziron
Araminta L. Tinhat (aka Calliope Hawthorn Dove)
Captain Dirigible
Carl Roscoe Newton aka Doggled
Lady Heather
Michael E. (steam curious)
Mistress Mary Contrariwise
Rockula
Yvie B. (steam curious)
Za

The gentleman or gentlewoman who had the good fortune to attend the Museum of Power, Maldon, Essex, on Saturday, 9 April of the year 2011, having arrived there via an assortment of time and space travelling conveyances will have found the weather delightful for the occasion. The auspicious gathering was a virgin steampunk event for some in attendance, such as Lady Heather and Mistress Mary Contrariwise, each in possession of a singularly engaging temperament.

The morning began with Mistress Mary capturing images of Lady Heather, Ambrose Booth and myself, Araminta L. Tinhat and Carl Roscoe Newton outside the museum entrance. It must be shared here that the Mr. Newton won the prize for longest distance travelled, coming all the way from Birmingham to join our little party. Well done to him.

We were soon joined by Mr. Angus Fitziron a veteran of time travel and fine steampunk bearing. Upon entry into the museum proper we few were pleased to find such a variety of mechanical contraptions of various sizes and functions over which some of us became quite excited. "Pride of place is given to the magnificent Lilleshall triple-expansion steam engine which was returned to steam for the first time in 50 years in April 2011." Indeed we were met in this place for the very experience of seeing this behemoth brought back to life.

Alas, we had some time to fill before the first scheduled operation, so we moved out to the Steam Rally event in the yard behind the museum. Needless to say it was day of serendipitous experiences. None could have imagined what a thrill the whiff of oil and the sight of gleaming wood and brass and brightly painted vehicles spouting steam was to some of our party. I, myself was so smitten with the size of dials and gauges and remarked so. To which our wicked witted Lady Heather, countered that "It is not the size of the gauge hat matters, but the pressure it can get up to."

While in the yard enjoying the spectacle of engines and machines, we were joined by Rockula and Za and later by Captain Dirigible. Eventually the time came to return to the Lilleshalle for her debut. How does one describe the magnificent spectacle of the four giant pistons ever so slowly rolling up to speed and hush of the crowd as we watched them pumping in quiet assured power.

After such intoxicating excitations, it was agreed that some refreshment should be taken to provide for the return of composure for the ladies and opportunity to discuss the experiences of the day for the men. And so we retired to the tea rooms for a short visit with Master Earl Grey and Mistress Victoria Sponge.

Later in the day we were joined by steam curious Yvie and Mike who enjoyed a ride on the miniature steam railway with us. Captain Dirigible and Rockula took first class compartments, while the rest of us were compelled to straddle the benches of second class accommodation in a most indelicate fashion.

All in all it was a diverting day spent in the company of stimulating old and new friends. I highly recommend the Museum of Power and other visitors on the day for making us so welcome.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: