The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 01:17:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gentleman's Challenge #7 - "The Rogue's Gift"  (Read 10710 times)
Doctor Gailbraithe
Gunner
United States United States

Writer, Historian, Craftsmen

gailbraithe
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:16:12 am »

(I hope no one minds terribly that I've taken it upon myself to do this, but it seems the call for a new challenge after GC #6 has gone unanswered for months.)

Lord Humfrey is in a predicament. Quite recently the Lord's gambling habits and a run of poor luck had left him short on funds and with debts outstanding.  Alas, these debts were held by men of a most unsavory character, and these villains took it upon themselves to kidnap the Lady Humfrey as collateral, as if the good sir's word was not sufficient.  The terms offered by these kidnappers were quite unreasonable and the Lady Humfrey's was doomed for sure.

By necessity Lord Humfrey turned to a friend of his known to have allies in London's criminal underground, which brought him into contact with a man known only as Black Jack. A professional rogue himself, Black Jack was able to quickly recover the Lady Humfrey and, quite conveniently, dispatch those unsavory elements to whom Lord Humfrey owed so much.

Now the time had come to pay Black Jack for his services, which (fortunately for the good sir) Lord Humfrey is happy and able to do.  However the Lady Humfrey has insisted that an impersonal cash payment is insufficient reward for Jack's services, and has demanded that Lord Humfrey furnish Jack with some token of their esteem and appreciation.

Which raises the question: What do you buy the man who can steal anything?

This then is the Seventh Gentleman's Challenge: To design and build a gift appropriate for the greatest thief in all of London.  The gift may take any form, from clothing to device to weaponry.  However, to satisfy Lady Humfrey it must appeal to Black Jack, and Black Jack is a hard man to please.

Rather than a list of items that must be used, this challenge requires that three facts be true of the creation:
  • The predominate color of the creation must be black. It may be trimmed or decorated with objects of any color, but more than 50% of the entire creation must be black.  Anything else clashes terribly with Jack's decor and wardrobe.
  • It must look posh to the scallywags of Whitechapel, so that they will be suitably impressed that Jack is a man of means. The more ostentatious filigree the better, and setting jewels into your creation would really impress. In a word your creation needs to have bling.
  • It must be of some immediate use to a professional criminal, primarily a thief but also occasionally an assassin. While Jack likes to impress the lads, he is an essentially practical person, and won't find any use for a gift he can't make use of professionally. Do not make the mistake of thinking this limits one to the creation of tools - a well-concealed pocket in an article of clothing can be as or more useful than a set of lockpicks to fit inside.

Rules:
  • You do not have to be a gentleman to enter this challenge. Scallywags and Ladies allowed.
  • You must post in this thread that you are participating to be counted in the challenge.
  • You may use what ever materials to build your creation that are at your disposal.
  • You may use what ever tools to build your creation that are at your disposal.
  • You will have two weeks to make your creation from the appointed start time.
  • Pictures of the finished creation must be posted on the finishing day by midnight your time.
  • You must list all items used in your creation when you post the finish picture.
  • Have Fun!!
The Start Date for this Challenge is Sunday, January 23rd, 2011.  The Challenge ends at Midnight on Sunday, February 6th, 2011.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:18:45 am by Doctor Gailbraithe » Logged

“We were making the future, he said, and hardly any of us troubled to think what future we were making. And here it is!” - H.G. Wells
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:21:55 am »

I think I will have a go at an attempt. excellent back story and premise.
cryptolucien
Officer

Courtesy is given. Respect is earned.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:00:21 am »

I say, mark me as a competitor!

Phineas
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 03:32:26 am »

To the la-bor-a-tory, Mr. Jenkins!! The game is afoot!!

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Professor Moore
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

"Who doesn't wish that they could wind back time?"

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:35 am »

Though, of course, I would never endorse any form of shenanigans, tomfoolery or scallywagginess, I find this challenge both intriguing and, well challenging. I have a few concepts floating around the old brain yet and if my companion hasn't tidied up the workshop too much I may yet have the materials to construct something of some use. Please count me in, good sirs!
I accept your challenge!

fungus34
Snr. Officer

Jack of some trades, master of none

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:14:42 am »

I have a lot of projects going on now, but I'll see what I can do.
AlandraD
Snr. Officer

Lady of Leisure

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:07:41 am »

I'm Game.
Lyca
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 07:39:40 am »

I will throw my provisional hat into the ring, time permitting.
octochan
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Madame Nostradamus

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 07:55:43 am »

I daresay I might just have something I can use for this challenge. Count me in!

Oh, everyone thinks I'm crazy, just because I try to warn people about the face-sucking aliens headed for Earth. Yeah, laugh now, have your face sucked off later. When the aliens come, I'll be the only left with a face, and I'll be using that face to laugh.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:53:01 am »

I'm in!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:59 pm »

OK, well, I've got a scenario for the exchange of the "gift" (the "gift," however, is still a-bourning.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Raggmopp
Gunner
Norway Norway

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »

Is it too late to enter? I just had a idea that wont ruin me Tongue

-My spelling might be off, due to dyslexia. Please don't make comments in treads about it. It sidetracks the tread and can be annoying to other dyslexias. PM me and ill fix the issue. Thank you.-

"Stranger than you dreamt it, can you even bear to look, or dare to think of me?..." -Opera Phantom
Professor Moore
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 11:22:37 am »

Well, ladies and gentlemen, let me astound and amaze you with my concepts (with illustrations to follow, I assure you!)

My influence for this project came from several ends, not least of which is the fact that my assistant and I  have a  "masquerade Ball" to attend next month and so I have decided to design items for both "Black Jack" and, perhaps, his lovely ldy friend, "Blacque Jacqueline" in the forms of masks. But not just any masks, my friends! Oh no! These masks shall have more than  few little surprises tucked away in their ornamentation, such as a light so see in those dark corridors, a couple of mirrored blinkers to allow one to see if there is any pursuit without having to turn your head, and perhaps one or two other more deadly surprises!
Photos of materials and such shall be uploaded later today, I assure you.

Thank you all for your attention and good luck with your inventions!
Arcturon the hobo
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

I am my own man. You, sir, are the queen's bitch

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 09:08:43 pm »

. . . this goes quite splendidly with a project I have had in mind for sometime and was meaning to start soon anyway. I may have to add a little more black (black is already quite present in the design) but other than that I can see it working out quite well.
Yes, excellent.
Most excellent.

Nae king, nae quin, nae laird, nae master! We won't be fooled agin!

I do not suffer fools, fools suffer ME!

"If she be the daughter of fifty kings" Said Father Fitzgibbon "I tell you, you can't marry her, she being a fish."

http://sceyeballkid.deviantart.com/
AlandraD
Snr. Officer

Lady of Leisure

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 05:10:53 am »

I think I've settled on a defensive weapon. An acoustic gun. Small and portable. The sound burst can knock people out within a 10ish foot range, depending on constitution of the target. 12 to 30 or so and it can mess with someone's senses out for enough time to make a getaway or get the upper hand. It makes a quiet whump sound. In addition, when placed directly onto nearly any kind of glass and fired, it safety breaks it in a circular pattern. Clearing an opening for entrance or retrieval of any smallish thing that might be behind it.

We'll see if something else pops into my head that's any better.
Raggmopp
Gunner
Norway Norway

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 01:42:35 pm »

I'm thinking something small, something harmless looking that will still grant access to the baron's most guarded treasure's.
Professor Moore
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:44:19 am »

Well, I suppose an update is in order, ladies and gentlemen, I give you: The Mask of Black Jack! (Work in Progress!)

So far the materials I have bought have all cost roughly a pound. The most expensive item so far is the white phantom mask, at £1.50.
To begin with, I started working with a very small, elegant victorian mask. Unfortunately it seemed far too dainty for my purposes. However, suitably altered I shall have a wonderful accompanying disguise for Black Jacquelin!

After purchasing a much more suitable mask shape, I gathered my materials: 1 mask, 2 Led torches...

Adding a leather belt for more secure fastenings and some model-making rear-view mirrors...

And using some pvc and duct tape, some thin copper wiring, a ruler, and scissors!

Also, for some added style, elegance, and of course "bling"*shudders* I have some golden stickers and red jewels.

And finally, the best way to improve any item: PAINT IT BLACK!

Well, that is all for today dear readers! I wish you all the best of luck with your endeavors too and shall hopefully keep you all updated!

Yours,
Prof Shevek Moore
fungus34
Snr. Officer

Jack of some trades, master of none

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 06:17:33 am »

Here's my entry:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gentlemens-Defense-Cane/
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 09:30:12 am »

OK so I'm way late to the party but I'll also give it a shot.
Sounds like fun.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 10:54:19 am »

I will be making mine tommorow!

EDIT: I have finished but my camera is at work so pics will be online tommorow Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:41:18 pm by darkshines » Logged
quickordead
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 02:57:13 am »

Feh, you're all getting ahead of me.  I can't find the black leather I was to use, the leather shop is closed til Monday, and best of all I threw my back out this weekend so I'm barely hobbling about.  Hope I can at least get the soddering done on the brass bits tonight.

Dear sir please be careful doing that will damage your back even more.

QOD
Professor Moore
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 05:55:06 pm »

Well greetings again, all!

My project is now completed and ready to be worn (just in time for the maskerade ball on the 19th, too!) I would love to say that my work is completed in this area, but I fear that this has sparked a flurry of inspiration in both myself and the Lady Kathryn; to the extent of making a more effeminate mask with devices and even making, much to my dismay, similar weapons...

But enough of that, I give you: The MASK of BLACK JACK!

The gems and cogwheels add a subtle "bling" to the mask without, I hope, being too garish.

A closer detail of the mask and the little lights fastened on the side...

As you can see, the lenses are set into hinges on the brow, allowing them to fold over the eyes, but also rotate on the axis to allow for angled perceptions of the world behind the viewer.

A view of the other light and cogs under the focal monocle. (The monocle was taken from the inner plastic casing of a broken pocket watch.)

An image of the headlamp being activated... very bright LED to allow for most vision.

And image of the right light being activated. It looks different from the headlamp because it is; it is in fact a strobe light, working to blind and deter offenders while not distracting the wearer. (For reference, watch "KickAss" and the "Kryptonight Light" they have there.)

A curious fellow posing quite blatantly for the camera. One can see that the mask is of a comfortable fit - snug enough, even, for one to wear a tophat or bowler over the top of it!

And finally a demonstration that while one can still see forward, the mirrors allow the wearer to observe potential pursuit.

Well, that is all for now, ladies and gentlemen! I do hope you enjoyed inspecting my curious gadgets, and I hope to return with many more objects to amaze and astound you all!

Professor Shevek Moore

The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:13 pm »

Due to a thread in another area of BG, I have changed the direction of my "gift." It will be a close-run thing to finish on time., but I am enjoying myself way too much.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 10:47:39 pm »

Right mine is done! I apologise in advance for the crappy pictures, my cameras flash is awful!

I made a collar for Black Jac. It's black velvet trimmed with layers of black lace, and embellished with a scroll pattern of black diamantes across the centre. To one side are two tiny bottle holders. The tiny bottles currently hold raw white quartz and miniture sea shells respectively, but could hold arsenic, strychnine, cyanide or bloat...... perfect for the fashion forward female assassin!

On with the pictures:

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 11:52:38 am »

Did I kill the thread? :/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: