The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:27:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk 101: Recommended Reading  (Read 4236 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 12:00:47 pm »

Had Reeve, added Pearl. Thanks!
Firestone
Swab

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 12:14:00 am »

Are you interested in scripts for the theatre too? There's a new playwrite on the internet who is working on a series of Victorian fantasy plays about sort of a lady Sherlock Holmes crossed with Batman. Yeah, you read that right. The second installment just got posted, and i would def recommend them. They've got great characters and relationships, strong female heroes, & cool high-action plots.

The first one is called Mrs. Hawking, after the protagonist, and the second one is called Vivat Regina. They can be read at www.mrshawking.com
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 04:49:23 am »

Whew...I hadn't even considered play scripts...I'm nearly in over my head as it is.

The current tallies for each category are:
Books, Traditionally Published:  550
Books, E-Published:  29 (just started on this list not too long ago)
Books, Anthologies:  14 (ditto)
Graphic Novels and Web Comics:  280 (ditto ditto)

I'm far from finished on the graphic novels list, I'm way behind on anthologies and e-books, and the list for "normal" books just keeps growing. If the play only exists online, I might think about including it on the e-published list, although I think it would properly belong on a list of Steampunk entertainment. Which, I suppose, if I haven't been carted away by the nice chaps in the white coats after "finishing" the current lists, I might think about beginning (after a loooong tropical vacation with intravenous margaritas).

Interesting, and entirely unanticipated question, 'though. I'll post to that thread and request commentary on if and/or where it would go in the current list breakdown.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Firestone
Swab

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 03:29:49 pm »

I am fairly certain the Mrs. Hawking scripts only exists online, and can only be read, as opposed to liek "viewed" or anything. In case that's helpful!!
thesplinteredyear
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »

Just wanted to say a thank you for these recommendations.Some I'd thought of, some I haven't. Doing a ton of steampunk research and this has been excellent for resource.

A good start as a newbie!

They skitter at my heels, but haven't caught me yet
Embodiments of weaknesses, and fears, and regret
Sleep as well as one could hope for, sleep but don't forget
You and I on borrowed time; a waiting marionette
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 02:27:45 pm »

It's funny that the early Tom Swift books rarely make lists of this type. The character originated circa 1910, and the early books are full of airships, radiotelegraphs, and all kinds of steampunk style goodness.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 12:22:03 am »

@RJBowman:
Having not actually read any of these books, I'd wondered which, if any, might be appropriate for inclusion on a Steampunk list. Most seem to be more appropriately "pulp" to me. If you have read any of the early books, which of them would you recommend for a Steampunk list?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 03:42:05 am »

There is a list of the books here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tom_Swift_books#Books_in_the_original_Tom_Swift_series.5B1.5D

Probably just about all that were written before 1920 would count. Wikipedia's list links to individual pages for the early books so you can read the descriptions of the books if you need to make the determination yourself.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 04:59:23 pm »

If you go to Gutenberg, Manybooks, Mobileread, etc., I know at least one of them has a good many of them (Tom Swift).
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 03:05:09 am »

@RJBowman and pakled05:
I did what research I could without actually reading any of them, and have added a few of them. I'll be posting to update the list later tonight.

@thesplinteredyear:
I'm hoping you mean to thank Lady Clankington, who began this thread, and not my list. In fact, her thread was one of many I've consulted on this forum when making my list. If you meant me, I'm grateful, but I'd rather the credit go where it's due. I've never met the young lady, but she seems to be a nice person.
Haybuzz
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 07:53:34 am »

This was exactly the type of thing I've been looking for - obviously having only 30 books left on my 'to-read' list is not enough (although I am rather pleased to see I've read a small amount of the recommendations already).

I'll be off on to Gutenberg once I get home to see what they have to offer with regards to Verne etc Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: