The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:25:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The League of Essextraordinary Gentlemen. Club for Steampunks in Essex, UK  (Read 4579 times)
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 15, 2011, 09:16:47 pm »

Welcome to the Home on BrassGoggles for the League of Essexraordinary Gentlemen, and Gentlewomen.
A place for Steampunks from in and around the County of Essex to meet, to get to know each other, and to Duscuss Events and gatherings in the County.

So, First things first.
Come in, Sit down, Have a cup of tea, and introduce yourseves.

I am Mr Addams, and I am Very pleased to make your aquantence.
And I reside in the town of Colchester to the North of this fine county.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:49:52 am »

Why thank you. I too live in Colchester and my interests in Steampunk are quite wide ranging. I am interested in Victorian history as well as the more fanciful aspects of the age like space travel, early airship travel and mad science (natural philosophy). I make some items but don't wear costume as such - hats of style, waistcoats, Windsor glasses and a full set are all normal wear as far as I am concerned. I look forward to meeting more good folk this summer, so count me in.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:19:09 am »

I'm here as well... I tend to lurk so do hit me with something if you need to!
I'm in Colchester as well, university etc. and STILL trying to get time to make my first outfit... I like pointy things I must admit... and science. Pointy and science is a usually bad mix, but I make it work.
I also ask really really odd questions sometimes, so don't feel off put.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Lady DeWarren
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:32:01 pm »

Hello my name is Lady Caroline DeWarren - my partner and I live in Tiptree, which is about hour half from Maldon and Colchester.  We are both history buffs and belong to the Colchester Enactment Society, that is where we met Mr Adams who suggested that we may like to do some steam punk. 
Looking forward to hearing from and about others
We are both new to Steam punk, so are getting to know what its about.  Hope to meet some of you at Mr Adam's birthday do !
Ambrose Booth
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:56:26 pm »

We're in Chelmsford, Calliope and I, only just getting involved in steampunk. Having spent most of the weekend on Ebay, we're currently trying not to spend too much on desirable and adaptable accoutrements. This afternoon by pure coincidence Wild Wild West was on TV while we were trawling for items. A very fitting accompaniment.  Smiley

We're keen to meet others in Essex and its environs.
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:57:56 pm »

I am the Calliope to which Ambrose refers.  I live in Chelmsford, but hail from south east Virginia.  No teasing of my accent please.

I am also interested in folk and blues music and a little early jazz.  I sing (well more like wail) and play a few instruments (a bit).   Looking into some folk songs that focus on early industrial revolution.   I also do bead craft and crochet.

And now I am interested in making steampunk clothes and gear.  Also looking forward to meeting other steampunks face to face.
popuptoaster
Snr. Officer

What? Where?

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 02:04:49 am »

Im not particulally steamy, but i do like the steampunk stuff, i can be seen driving around Brentwood in various tatty 4x4s.

I'm sorry madam, I'm just not that much of a gentleman.
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 04:08:02 pm »

I have created new event thread for Museum of Power & Promenade, Maldon Essex 9 April 2011

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28907.new.html#new

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 05:15:48 pm »

For those in the Essex area who are not considering the Waltz-On-The-Wye gathering, a few of us will be attending a Charity Quiz Night in GIDEA PARK (just outside ROMFORD) on the evening of Saturday 14th May.

This is an annual event hosted by my brother Doug and his wife Pearl.
 Currently, it is myself, my wife (Melissa Forthorpe), Captain Dirigible and the Countess Cyanide forming the basis of a team.

There are usually about 100 of us in a small Church Hall in teams of up to 8.

The teams acome from all walks of life including Harley Owner's Group, local Ambulance services, council workers, London Vampyre Group and others.

I won't put all the details here unless I have any interest.

It costs £12 a head with buffet and bringing your own booze is positively encouraged.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 05:59:54 pm »

I will need To get my dates in order before I can commit,but in principle, you can list me as interested.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »

I will need To get my dates in order before I can commit,but in principle, you can list me as interested.

Thanks Mr. Addams.

Didn't seem worth starting a whole thread when a lot of our 'usual suspects' will be in Wales. Wink
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 09:49:49 pm »

Speaking of usual suspects Mr Rockula, Are you coming to Ipswich? I even managed to fit a pint at the steamboat into the schedule.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:55 pm »

Speaking of usual suspects Mr Rockula, Are you coming to Ipswich? I even managed to fit a pint at the steamboat into the schedule.

If I do I will be alone. Of the four of us I'm the only one not booked in for appointments of one sort and another.

I may pop along. Grin
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 05:25:04 pm »

Mr.Addams, as our pied-à-terre on the ætherweb, should we include useful links here, maybe on the first post, to help new (and not so new) members find their way around? For example a link to The League of Essextraordinary Gentlemen and Gentlewomen web site might be useful?

Edit: I note I cannot use the mail client on the web site so can I formally ask to be admitted into membership of the LoEG&G here please?

ffitz
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:29:01 pm by Angus A Fitziron » Logged
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »

As you are all aware, The League of Essextraordinary Gentlemen is a bit of a new concern, and it has taken me a while to decide how to carry it forward.
To this end, I have created a Yahoo email group to enable members to communicate with each other.
If you are not familiar with email groups, it is a system by which any email message sent to the group, is forwarded to all of its members, as are the replies.

It may take some time before the group becomes active, but you can join by visiting the group site,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/leagueofessex/
Please pass this on to anybody you know who may be interested in becoming involved.
If you have any problems signing up, please send me your email address by PM, and I shall send out an invite. Or, as a last resort, I can create a membership.

This will enable us to discuss things that may not be best delt with through BrassGoggles, for example the Maldon event, which has not been taken up by the general BG populace, but several of the Ipswich visitors expressed an interest in. Once the details have been thrashed out, we can make announcements on this fine forum.

I shall be fowarding the contents of this message to those who came to Ipswich, and to others who have expressed an interest.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: