The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 05:03:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Casting help! Possibly NSFW!!  (Read 2594 times)
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 10, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am pondering making a "hysteria device" for a few select friends of mine.

I have a question thus:

The "donor" specimin will a natural formation, Taken from the very bowels of mother earth.

I am thinking of using modrock to take a casting, (by wrapping it round the specimin and cutting it off once dry).

Now the questions are thus:

Is this a practical way of getting a mould, or should I go for casting in alginate gel, set in a suitable coffer dam, like a pringles tube or cardboard, that can be easily peeled away from from the natural form?

And more importantly what is the best medium to cast such a thing, considering its use. (Nb some of the recipiants may be allergic to latex!)

your thoughts and comments please.

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
universenextdoor
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:28:36 pm »

by wrapping it round the specimin and cutting it off once dry

I hope you mean the mold, not the specimen . . .

--- listen: there's a hell
of a good universe next door; let's go
- e.e. cummings
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:35 pm »

You can actually buy specific kits for making molds of such anatomical appendages.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:45:50 pm »

The natural specimin is not flesh and blood, it is made of a material called calcite (some members of this forum may know what type of formation I'm alluding to), so there is no issue of pain etc being involved.

I know you can buy such specific kits, but I'm going to be doing a batch of about 4 and therefore need more casting material than for a one off!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 10:52:02 pm »

So we are talking a calcite crystal? Don´t you think the sharp corners could create problems?
universenextdoor
Officer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:00:48 pm »

The natural specimin is not flesh and blood, it is made of a material called calcite (some members of this forum may know what type of formation I'm alluding to), so there is no issue of pain etc being involved.

Ah, I see. You mean the sort found in caves and such?
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 11:04:17 pm »

No my dear chap we are not talking calcite crystals, something altogether more substantial!(stalactights go down and stalagmights go up!!)
There is a cave not far from me where the other half noticed some rather fine stalagmights, are the right proportions for turning into such a "hysteria device" and as such I thought it would be fitting to make some for her and some of my close female friends!
Lady Corsair
Zeppelin Captain

Professed cook

LiLati
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:31:19 am »

That still sounds rather...uncomfortable.  It seems that a stalagmite tapers too quickly.  Also, this sounds rather difficult just for the stated purpose...I would imagine there are easier ways of obtaining something in a proper shape/size.

Also, anatomically speaking, not all women find, um...stationary "hysteria devices" to be effective. 

Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 09:39:21 am »

Lady Corsair,

Don't worry my other half will be choosing an appropreate specimin, it won't be stationary, I've thought about that one already and have a few ideas in mind!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:54:59 pm by Wormster » Logged
Picaroon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:49:37 am »

No my dear chap we are not talking calcite crystals, something altogether more substantial!(stalactights go down and stalagmights go up!!)
There is a cave not far from me where the other half noticed some rather fine stalagmights, are the right proportions for turning into such a "hysteria device" and as such I thought it would be fitting to make some for her and some of my close female friends!

That must have been an interesting conversation. Grin
Those limestone caves are just teeming with perversion.

"'But he was unmoved, and cried: "If I am mad, it is mercy! May the gods pity the man who in his callousness can remain sane to the hideous end!"'
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:50 am »

That must have been an interesting conversation. Grin
Those limestone caves are just teeming with perversion.

Aye it was, everywhere we go there are lots of smutty giggles!!
redhandfilms
Officer

Master Augustus Redsmith

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »

I hate to put a damper on such an interesting project, but I would urge you to reconsider for the sake of the stalagmite itself.
Caves are very delicate environments, as are the formations themselves. A stalagmite of such proportions could have taken thousands of years to form. One has to think of cave formations as living things. They grow, little by little, over the millennia as water slowly drips, depositing minerals. They can be "killed" so easily, even by something as simple and innocent as the oils on your hands.
There are also some legal issues to consider. Stalactites and Stalagmites are considered "Natural Heritage" items and are often protected by law from vandalism, destruction, removal, and sale. If your stalagmite is within a protected cave system, even touching it may be illegal.
Don't get me wrong, I do think casting a stalagmite for a "hysteria device" would be a really cool project, but it would perhaps be better if you took measurements and pictures all around and formed a duplicate out of clay without ever touching the real one.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 01:17:52 pm »

The most suitable casting method really depends on the exact details of the thing being cast. The main factors are the ammount and depth of surface detail, the overall shape of the object and the presence of any undercuts.

For complex shapes the best bet is often to use a flexible mould, either as  block mould or a skin mound with a rigid mother mould to keep its shape. For this application silicone seems the most likely choice. As long as the overall shape is fairly simple (I'm guessing that its approximately conical/cylindrical) the best option might be two piece silicon block mould, perhaps with a plaster or modroc counter to save on material.

I'd reccomend this book  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouldmakers-Handbook-Jean-Pierre-Delpech/dp/0713667702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294747449&sr=1-1 as containing as good starting guide for mould making in virtually all cold-cast materials.

For this application I would suggest using food or medical grade materials.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 01:20:02 pm »

I hate to put a damper on such an interesting project, but I would urge you to reconsider for the sake of the stalagmite itself.
Caves are very delicate environments, as are the formations themselves. A stalagmite of such proportions could have taken thousands of years to form. One has to think of cave formations as living things. They grow, little by little, over the millennia as water slowly drips, depositing minerals. They can be "killed" so easily, even by something as simple and innocent as the oils on your hands.
There are also some legal issues to consider. Stalactites and Stalagmites are considered "Natural Heritage" items and are often protected by law from vandalism, destruction, removal, and sale. If your stalagmite is within a protected cave system, even touching it may be illegal.
Don't get me wrong, I do think casting a stalagmite for a "hysteria device" would be a really cool project, but it would perhaps be better if you took measurements and pictures all around and formed a duplicate out of clay without ever touching the real one.

Hmm, an interesting take on the project, but to ask you a direct question: "Are you a caver yourself?" because it seems to me that you are trying to teach me how to suck eggs!
I am fully aware of the conservation aspect of caving, as I cave on a regular basis, usually a few times a week, I am a leader for some of our local caves. I have been involved in many conservation/digging projects over a long period of years!

I don't think that taking a moulding from one could be classed as vandalism, destruction or removal. I am still planning an approach to creating a mould and if I do go down the route of taking a casting from a specimin, it will be done as carefully as possible taking as many precautions as possible to ensure that the particular satalgmite* is left as pristine as it was before!

*ASAMF: stalagmites tend to be more robust than straws / curtains and stalagtites that hang from the ceiling / walls.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 01:31:09 pm »

Cheers Narsil,

I thought that food or medical grade sillcone would be the best material for casting the device itself.

As for taking the plug, what I thought I could do would be (bearing in mind our colonial friend's comments) to first of all find a worthy specimin (in a less frequently visited non SSSI cave), and then take an impression by pouring latex (mixed with setting catalyst) into something like an openended pringles tube (to act as a coffer dam) letting it set and then removing the mould, cleaning up the specimin to leave it as pristine as before!!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:35:45 pm by Wormster » Logged
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 02:05:50 pm »

In this case alginate might be a useful material. Because its quite inactive and degrades very quickly it should be good for taking an in-situ mould from something sensitive. It's also flexible enough to accommodate a lot of lumps and bumps and takes very good surface detail. It also has the big advantage of setting quickly.

However because it breaks down so quickly it is best to take a positive cast from the alginate almost immediately. Wax and plaster are usually the best materials for this.  I would imagine that plaster would be most practical in a cave, go for a hard plaster like dental plaster or an alpha plaster for making master patterns.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 02:15:47 pm »

Aha, aglinate of course! then as you say create a positive image in plaster, then set that in a 2 part mould. From there the copies can be cast in either food/medical grade sillicone, or maybe some form of resin! (with attendant wobbling bits included in the copies)

Only the first part would be done underground (taking the alginate in and using that, as described before). All the other steps would be done in my workshop above ground!
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 03:09:49 pm »

It's good to take a cast of the alginate as soon as it has set just becasue alginae acsts have such a short life. The rest can be done in a more convenient location.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 03:30:04 pm »

Aye that's what I'd read, so I'm thinking of getting some plaster of paris and taking an impression on the surface! Then furtleing the rest back in the workshop!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:31:50 pm by Wormster » Logged
Raggmopp
Gunner
Norway Norway

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 02:54:53 pm »

You can always buy a "make your own willy mold kit." and adapt it.

-My spelling might be off, due to dyslexia. Please don't make comments in treads about it. It sidetracks the tread and can be annoying to other dyslexias. PM me and ill fix the issue. Thank you.-

"Stranger than you dreamt it, can you even bear to look, or dare to think of me?..." -Opera Phantom
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »

You can always buy a "make your own willy mold kit." and adapt it.

Myself earlier in the thread:

I know you can buy such specific kits, but I'm going to be doing a batch of about 4 and therefore need more casting material than for a one off!

Sorry to be pedantic, but did you actually read the entire thread?
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:50 pm »

I think the "and adapt it" part implied using a part or parts of the kit for your use... for example, it might be better to use the tube in such kits instead of a Pringle tube, purely because the included one might be easier to take the mold out of without damaging it (I am going on the basis you don't want to be repeating the casting over and over) by it catching/tearing on the sides of the Pringle tube.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 05:00:23 pm »

Possibly, possibly, Longeye.

The use of a pringles tube like everything at this point is theoretical, apart from the end result!
As I first stated I'm still casting (no pun intended) around for ideas as how to approach the project, those "mould your own phallus" kits don't come cheap (about £40) and are a 1 shot deal from what I have read so far! - I'm not going to shell out that sort of money, when the materials to make a batch can be obtained for about the same outlay!
NW-SteamPunks
Deck Hand

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 06:07:15 pm »

Please do not consider us Crude...but, after all this controversy I am rather curious as to what the formation looks like and what the final product looks like afterward.

Biologically the species is the accumulation of the experiments of all its successful individuals since the beginning.
H. G. Wells
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 06:22:54 pm »

Please do not consider us Crude...but, after all this controversy I am rather curious as to what the formation looks like and what the final product looks like afterward.

Well m'dear, when the project gets underway I will try and keep a photo record of events!

So far I don't see any crudeness or controversy, just some folk not understanding the concept, my approach, or even bothering to read the thread and posts therein properly!!
Mind you others have been very helpful inasmuch that they have suggested alternatives, both in approach and materials, and have confirmed some of my material choices!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: