The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 09:35:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scandinavian Steampunk meeting  (Read 6979 times)
Micki
« on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:27 am »

I'm going to try to arrange a steampunk meeting in Sweden for us Scandinavians in the summer 2012 (but everyone is welcome of course!).
I'll be focusing on Sweden, Norway & Denmark.

The idea is based on conventions with music, films, a picknick, roleplaying, mini-larps and more.
I can't do it on my own so I'm looking for people that would like to arrange it with me and also if there is any interest for this kind of convention?
(There's no use in arranging something huge like this if there isn't anyone interested in going! Wink)
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:46:24 pm »

I´m up for it, as long as it is held somewhere I´m able to get to.
Being unemployed & broke= no major trips across the country
Micki
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 09:04:12 pm »

I'm broke right now too, but hopefully in 1½ year we'll have some money. Tongue
I'm thinking maye in Gothenburg because I live ther and can easily scout out different places and also it's right in the middle between Köpenhamn, Oslo & Stockholm.  Smiley
CaptSpaulding
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:11:41 am »

I belive that some kind of gathering could be a relly nice thing.  Specially if it is more of an "all round" thing than an LRP, since I belive there might be some interested people out there who, like myself, are not that into LRPs but still like the tech-history-fantasy mash up that SP is.

What are your ideas so far? One day or weekend? And anoter thing that comes to mind. Is summer really the best time considering that it probably rises the cost for the location. I belive that placing it early autumn could lower the cost quite a bit on accomodations.
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 01:51:43 pm »

I'm thinking maye in Gothenburg because I live ther and can easily scout out different places and also it's right in the middle between Köpenhamn, Oslo & Stockholm.  Smiley

Sounds good to me. It´s close to where I live, and there a several cheap hostels, *magnificent* botanical gardens to visit and be pretty in, and getting drunk with fellow steamers at Liseberg might be... interesting Wink
Steam Librarian
Deck Hand
Norway Norway

“Liberty is worth paying for . . .”- Jules Verne

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 10:30:56 pm »

Great idea Smiley It would be an honour to attend

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.-Charles W. Eliot
Frost
Snr. Officer
Denmark Denmark

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 10:36:17 pm »

Sounds like a good idea, I would love to attend such a gathering Smiley

-Mostly a lurker
Micki
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:23:17 pm »

I belive that some kind of gathering could be a relly nice thing.  Specially if it is more of an "all round" thing than an LRP, since I belive there might be some interested people out there who, like myself, are not that into LRPs but still like the tech-history-fantasy mash up that SP is.

What are your ideas so far? One day or weekend? And anoter thing that comes to mind. Is summer really the best time considering that it probably rises the cost for the location. I belive that placing it early autumn could lower the cost quite a bit on accomodations.

I'm thinking late summer, early autumn sometime in August 2012. There are a lot of cheap places to live in Gothenburg and everything is quite closed to each other and there are trams so it's very easy to get around.

It´s close to where I live, and there a several cheap hostels, *magnificent* botanical gardens to visit and be pretty in, and getting drunk with fellow steamers at Liseberg might be... interesting Wink

I'm going to check a few hostels today and yes, the botanical gardens and Slottskogen (= "Castle-forest") are very pretty in late august!

Lovely to see that a few fellow Scandinavians have found the post! Cheesy
ImperialFiddlesticks
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »

Like I told you already at DA, Micki, I would love to attend! And, if there is anything I can do to help I'll be more than happy to do it! Smiley

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” - Oscar Wilde

A bit of this and that:  http://imperial-fiddlesticks.blogspot.com/
Micki
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:03:46 pm »

I'll be updating today and tomorrow. I'd like an other web-address, but right now I believe this one will do.
I have no idea of how to make a forum, but I think I'll give that a try too!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:12:55 am by Micki » Logged
CaptSpaulding
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:23 pm »

Am I the only one who think this is the perfect picture to use for posters, blogs, web-banners etc.?   Grin
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Micki
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »

Hoho, that's awesome! My good friend Beckychu has volunteered to make or banners/posters etc. She's a visual artist so I think that'll be brill! She's made both my blogg banner & my etsy banner! Cheesy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampunk-micki/5320622066/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampunk-micki/5320622006/#
Micki
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 05:35:15 pm »

And what do you guys think of the webpage? I made it in blogger, as I'm pretty much worthless at making webpages. Right now the page is really simple, not much on it yet... I tried to make a forum too but it looks horrendous, so I'll have to delete it.
CaptSpaulding
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 05:53:24 pm »

And what do you guys think of the webpage? I made it in blogger, as I'm pretty much worthless at making webpages. Right now the page is really simple, not much on it yet... I tried to make a forum too but it looks horrendous, so I'll have to delete it.
I am one of those who belive that function often is to prefer over form when it comes to websites wich means that a blogger-based site is just fine. It is how it is used that is the important part. The same thing goes for forum. If there seems to be a use for a forum, keep it there and see if you can get hold of someone who can fix layout and stuff later on. I used to run a phpBB2-board a few years ago and as long as this one is not too different there is no problem fixing look and layout as we go.

On another note. I am not sure that I belive that it is good idea to fix the location to Gothenburg at this point. I myself belive that it actually could be a good idea to check out smaller cities and towns too. Many of them have spledid settings(both in the form of mansions, military complexes and old factories) that might be possible to use. And if we settle for a date after "industrisemestern" we might also be able to get cheap package deals. Not to mention eve more unorthodox ideas like steamboat on Göta Kanal(I have no idea of the cost, but probably too expensive if done the regular way) that might pop up along the way.
Micki
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 12:11:54 am »

Webpage: http://fumoplacitum.blogspot.com/
Forum: http://fumoplacitum.users-board.net/

Fumo Placitum means Steam Meeting in latin.

Colours and other aesthetic stuff will be altered in due time.

On another note. I am not sure that I belive that it is good idea to fix the location to Gothenburg at this point. I myself belive that it actually could be a good idea to check out smaller cities and towns too. Many of them have spledid settings(both in the form of mansions, military complexes and old factories) that might be possible to use. And if we settle for a date after "industrisemestern" we might also be able to get cheap package deals. Not to mention eve more unorthodox ideas like steamboat on Göta Kanal(I have no idea of the cost, but probably too expensive if done the regular way) that might pop up along the way.

I totally agree with you! I have "unfixed" the location and I to think it's a good idea to look in smaller cities. I think that it would be nice if SSC (ahem, my own made-up abbreviation) would be held in Sweden 2012, Norway 2013, Denmark 2014 and so on, but we'll have to see.
And having the Con in mid- or low-season would be good for prices, but that might mean that people can't come and that would be a shame.
I love the Göta Kanal idea, but I bet it's very expensive sadly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:27:51 pm by Micki » Logged
oskila
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Robber of graves, watcher of birds, drinker of ale

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 02:48:24 pm »

I haven't visited this forum in ages. You folks might be interested in the little event called 'turn of the century-picnic' - an ancient tradition, dating back to 2009...

photos from the first event here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=97208&id=667161159&l=82d342d712

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 05:23:47 pm »

There´s some gorgeous outfits in that photo album, and if this is repeated the coming summer, I think I´ll try to drop in.

...if new folks/outsider are welcome, that is.
oskila
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Robber of graves, watcher of birds, drinker of ale

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »

Of course! It's a public event! It's held on June 6 in Slottsskogen
Kirstine
Swab

Denmark Denmark

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:08 am »

If such an event is to come up (Scandinavian steampunk meeting), I’ll be glad t provide it with a fashion show. The only problem is, that I need a lot of models in the size 34-40. I can't pay them. And further is the issue about participating, I must have an clearness that they will come. Or this can come true.
I will start with the lady’s fashion. And if time is, the male.

Can this come true? Can I ask for a deposit?

Viola Theoblad
Shadrakh Yehochanan
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

Shadrakh Daraaku Hananiah Yehochanan

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 07:14:32 pm »

If such an event is to come up (Scandinavian steampunk meeting), I’ll be glad t provide it with a fashion show. The only problem is, that I need a lot of models in the size 34-40. I can't pay them. And further is the issue about participating, I must have an clearness that they will come. Or this can come true.
I will start with the lady’s fashion. And if time is, the male.

Can this come true? Can I ask for a deposit?

Male, but hot and interested
http://www.modelmayhem.com/shadrakh

..and unexperienced...

Shadrakh Yehochanan
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 07:47:49 pm »

Aaaaaaand! We in Västerås are planning our own little thingy:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29452.0.html
BlueShadowM
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 01:55:47 pm »

I am curently unemployed and while spending my days just sitting at home, watching TV-series and being bored I one day came up with the idea to arrange a steampunk convention instead of being anoyed that everything steampunk happens in US. But since the biggest thing I have ever arranged is my own birthday parties I'm a bit intimidated to try it out.
Therefore this thread made me really happy. I would love to help with whatever I can to arrange a steampunk convention. Though I live on the other side of the country in Nybro in the east of Småland. Thankfuly the internet is invented. Smiley

Why keep your feet on the ground when you can fly?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/greendragonbooks
http://blueshadowm.deviantart.com/
batteryforcedcat
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:49 pm »

I belive that some kind of gathering could be a relly nice thing.  Specially if it is more of an "all round" thing than an LRP, since I belive there might be some interested people out there who, like myself, are not that into LRPs but still like the tech-history-fantasy mash up that SP is.

I'm thinking late summer, early autumn sometime in August 2012. There are a lot of cheap places to live in Gothenburg and everything is quite closed to each other and there are trams so it's very easy to get around.

It´s close to where I live, and there a several cheap hostels, *magnificent* botanical gardens to visit and be pretty in, and getting drunk with fellow steamers at Liseberg might be... interesting Wink

I'm going to check a few hostels today and yes, the botanical gardens and Slottskogen (= "Castle-forest") are very pretty in late august!

Lovely to see that a few fellow Scandinavians have found the post! Cheesy

people could always bring a tent^^ so it will feel a littlebit like a festival Cheesy it would be cheaper for those who might be robbed Cheesy
wokka
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

landetannien
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:05 am »

Cool idea. You know, I think a thing like this could be a revolution in Swedish conventions. You should talk to some of the people who are experienced in running science fiction cons, you could have a good exchange with them (us) I believe.

But first: this summer is Eurocon in Stockholm. Come there, help me make it a steampunk happening! This is not exclusively a steampunk convention of course, but I think we could give it a significant steampunk feel if I get a little help from interested people. I would like to get in touch with people who want to show things they have made, for example. But most of all, I would like this to be a first meeting point for steampunk interested people from Sweden and other countries.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 11:21:17 am »

May I suggest you send someone along to The Asylum in Lincoln in September, you will make some useful contacts and promote your Convention to the UK Steampunk Community.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: