The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 07:00:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wooden Pendulum CLock  (Read 18624 times)
Ben8763
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« on: December 29, 2010, 07:43:36 am »

I have recently completed the construction of a self designed wooden mechanism clock.

I felt as though I should post some images of my timepiece and perhaps answer any questions for those who wish to undertake a similar project.

Its a fairly simple design as I had a deadline; Two faces instead of one, Modified Brocot pallet pinwheel escapement. All gears and pinions were cut using a band saw only!

*Note no pictures were taken during construction*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:51:47 am »

That is QUITE impressive!

I would ask questions, but as I know nothing of how to make clockwork to START with, it'd basically be "Step by step instructions would be nice."

I WOULD like to know is it possible to make something similar that hangs on a wall?  Cheesy

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
Ben8763
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:53:26 am »

Unfortunately I don't/ didn't use any step by step instruction or did I make any, however if you would like I could send you the gear templates I designed and some brief instructions if you are interested.

And I forgo to mention, but this clock does hang on the wall, the main "assembly" can be removed from the frame and placed on custom wooden shelf brackets on a wall.
Pike
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Failed the Turing Test

pikestaff
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:42:35 am »

This is most impressive; I love the escapement and the little bird-creature on the end Smiley  While I have an elementary understanding of how a mechanical timepiece works, I don't think I have the knowledge to make one myself quite yet, but I'd love to do so someday.

Have you made any other clockwork creations?  I'd love to see more!

"The law of entropy has been losing steam lately..."
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:26:06 am »

Unfortunately I don't/ didn't use any step by step instruction or did I make any, however if you would like I could send you the gear templates I designed and some brief instructions if you are interested.

And I forgo to mention, but this clock does hang on the wall, the main "assembly" can be removed from the frame and placed on custom wooden shelf brackets on a wall.

Much as I'd love that, I, unfortunatly, do not have the tools.  Quite litereally, I have your basic screwdrivers, nut drivers, pliars, and a dremel.

I dont even have a good hacksaw!  Cry
Ben8763
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 08:06:02 am »

Pike: Thank you; the little bird creature is an emu, this clock was created as a birthday/Christmas gift for my mother, she owns her own craft business and the logo is an emu so it seemed appropriate. To answer your question, no this is my first ever Clockwork/Steampunkish project but I plan to construct another clock within the next 6 months or so.

Xenos: Yeah thats understandable, I had access to a rather extensive workshop, without which I don't think this project would ever be complete. Apparently you can make the gears with nothing but a coping saw and sand paper, but based on the difficulty I had WITH a workshop full of tools, I'd say you would have to give up any other projects for a long looooong time.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:14:48 am »

Pike: Thank you; the little bird creature is an emu, this clock was created as a birthday/Christmas gift for my mother, she owns her own craft business and the logo is an emu so it seemed appropriate. To answer your question, no this is my first ever Clockwork/Steampunkish project but I plan to construct another clock within the next 6 months or so.

Xenos: Yeah thats understandable, I had access to a rather extensive workshop, without which I don't think this project would ever be complete. Apparently you can make the gears with nothing but a coping saw and sand paper, but based on the difficulty I had WITH a workshop full of tools, I'd say you would have to give up any other projects for a long looooong time.

My last coping saw actually went to make a very nice pick...  To be honest, it's more useful to me now than it ever was as a saw! Huh

So yeah, I'm working on building up my workshop (and working FOR a hardware/home improvement store helps-SHWEET discounts!), but, as a man of very simple means, it'll be a while.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 04:10:49 pm »

There was a charming documentary on the BBC but seems to have evaporated now. The commentator made a simple clock out of wood. A very very simple clock, using a deadbeat escapement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scappamento.gif

The fancypants toothed wheel in that image to be replaced with a wood disc drilled with regularly space holes into its rim and short lengths of dowel in each hole to make gear teeth. Pendulum powered by a length of string and a weight over a separate wheel. Toothed wheel connects to another wheel by a drive belt this third wheel tells the time by having a pointer.

This one is broadly similar.
wooden escapement mechanism
and this one is nice too
wooden escapement - scappamento in legno

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Ben8763
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:11:54 am »

Escapements such as those would have been much much simpler to construct, the modified Brocot pinwheel system that I used took no less than 10 hours to get right, drinks all around when that finally worked
Ben8763
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:17:07 am »

To anyone else reading and considering constructing a clock of your own, I suggest you look at Clayton Boyer's designs and perhaps buy some plans, I was... too cheap you could say to do that.

and go for a Brocot escapement, no matter what your aesthetic desires or plans or anything are telling you, USE A BROCOT; They may not seem easier to construct, but they are a damn sight easier to adjust.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »

My various suggestions were meant at ultra simple ones to make that would help total newby to understand what is going on. It was a revelation to me to see how easy a very very basic escapement could be to make.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: