The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 01:45:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mould making  (Read 6088 times)
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:19 pm »

I'm having a go at producing a textured surface mould for use in the making of raygun grips.

The texture in coming from a plastic mesh half buried in plasticine and coated in liquid latex to take the impression. Once I get enough thickness of rubber to make the thing stable I intend to form it into a shaped tube for casting resin grips. I have got a number of guns to make and want a consistent look to them all.

Usable thickness of rubber achieved. This is the surface as it lifted from the master and needs a bit of tidying up to get rid of some of the places where the latex ran into undercuts.
The plan now is to make a multi part mould with this forming the surface of the gun grip.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:26:06 pm by Dr cornelius quack » Logged

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »

These are the first two tests of the mould. One done flat and the other formed into a cylinder.

The resin used is Jesmonite AC300. Which is a water based Acrylic consisting of a liquid resin and a powder which acts as an activator and filler. No nasty fumes or solvents and it gives a very good finish when cast into a smooth mould. You can also add all sorts of additives to modify the strength and texture of the mix.

The one on the left puts me in mind of the bark of those ancient tree ferns, so some sort of 'Crypto-specimen' might be in order.

Quite chuffed with the results so far.

Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:01 pm »

Looks good. How did the seam on the cylindrical on turn out ? Did you match up both ends or are you just going to hide the join  ?

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »

I'm not even going to try to get a matched joint line on this one. (Who do think I am?... Herr Doktor?) Grin

The cylinder is only about 3/4 complete and has some distortion when you get 'round the back', as it were.
The idea being to take a usable slice from the cast section and fix it to a cutout section so as to look like a knurled insert to the grip.

I might have a go at leaving the plastic weldmesh in the mould next time to see if the resin will bond around it adequately. I've got a big roll of the stuff, so it doesn't actually need to come out. In which case, I'll spend a bit of time on each one to get a proper line up.

In the meantime, I'm painting up the test section with a rather organic feel to it, 'cos its got a sort of 'scaley' vibe going on.

Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 11:58:43 pm »

Yup!! Definately!!   ' Quack's Phmebian  Upholstery Kraken' Leather makes the very best pistol grip covering.

Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:07:01 am »

Yes, that paint job suits it very well Smiley
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 07:52:37 pm »

Another go at a pistol grip, featuring (LtoR)

A plasticine and mesh master, a latex rubber mould and a resin cast impression.

The seam between the two ends of the mesh can be seen as the line of wire hoops used to hold it in place and this tranfers to the finished cast as a slight reduction in the crispness of the surface, but I can live with that and tidy up with the Dremmel.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »

Fit the Second? Are you manufacturing Snark hide now?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: