The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2018, 08:49:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a steamy/Victorian christmas feast recipe!  (Read 2299 times)
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2017, 11:16:20 pm »

A bit late:

A good Christmas spread, roast carrots in fennel, parsnips in butter and honey, flour-roasted with garlic, brussels, steamed and sauteed in butter and walnuts, pigs in blankets, devils in blankets, roast onion, parboiled and roast crunchy pots, Yorkshires, 14lb or rib BEEF! and homemade pork stuffing... Horseradish and cranberry sauce, done!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 11:20:59 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged

Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 01:08:48 am »

A bit late:

A good Christmas spread, roast carrots in fennel, parsnips in butter and honey, flour-roasted with garlic, brussels, steamed and sauteed in butter and walnuts, pigs in blankets, devils in blankets, roast onion, parboiled and roast crunchy pots, Yorkshires, 14lb or rib BEEF! and homemade pork stuffing... Horseradish and cranberry sauce, done!

Delicious
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2017, 03:35:23 am »

A bit late:

Looks marvelous.  14 lbs of beef means 14 guests in my book...

It's going to take a long time before I get to see a table like that again. With my aunt passing away last year, and with my widowed uncle travelling to Florida to visit his eldest son's family, I have no one to cook for or be invited by for Christmas...

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 11:47:08 am »

J. Wilhelm -  Don't make me sad! Xmas is a time of mixed emotions and it is hard to justify a feast when it is only for yourself. Christmas is twelve days as of yesterday, make sure there are pleasures for each of the twelve days.

We have friends who open their doors for Christmas and it is emotionally heart-warming to see someone having a good Christmas with new friends.
madamemarigold
Officer

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 09:02:56 pm »

What a wonderful looking spread! It must have been a wonderful get together. We have the same issue here, all have either died or moved away but sill plan for a big spread (but on small plates?)
for next years holiday meals.   Grin
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 01:53:03 am »

What a wonderful looking spread! It must have been a wonderful get together. We have the same issue here, all have either died or moved away but sill plan for a big spread (but on small plates?)
for next years holiday meals.   Grin

Thankyou, it was rather lovely to eat as well. Feeling rather fat!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 10:35:22 pm »

J. Wilhelm -  Don't make me sad! Xmas is a time of mixed emotions and it is hard to justify a feast when it is only for yourself. Christmas is twelve days as of yesterday, make sure there are pleasures for each of the twelve days.

We have friends who open their doors for Christmas and it is emotionally heart-warming to see someone having a good Christmas with new friends.

Sorry, didn't mean to sour the mood. I just don't have anyone close to me (literally and rhetorically at any level) at the moment. Just seems I'll have to start over from scratch.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 11:41:49 pm »

Mood not soured in any way I am sure - just don't like it when anyone does not have a proper Xmas with friends or family. Just find a way of celebrating it yourself that gives you peace and a little personal happiness.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 12:05:09 am »

I might go to the movies this Saturday with a co-worker.

As for the roast... It turned out a bit oversalted. I did manage to make the oven work at the right temperature and it tastes good, but it's oversalted. I followed the exact same recipe, but when you scale it down and only cut a single rib of width in the roast more of the flesh is exposed to the salt, and it makes the meat a bit tougher on acount that it's partially cooked by the salt. That is a problem in the recipe I must note for the future. Still at $13 for a personal roast is not bad. Prime grade will cost you $66 for 5 lbs, and $33 for "USDA Select" (the next grade below Prime).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: