The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:31:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lever set watch, with no lever?  (Read 1170 times)
agent036
Gunner
United States United States

« on: December 04, 2010, 02:53:29 am »

I have a Waltham pocket watch. The serial number dates it to 1903, the bezel has certainly been replaced, possibly the whole case has. I can't figure out how to set it. The stem doesn't pull out, it doesn't have a key wind, and while it has a notch for a lever set there is no lever, not even a space for one. I am at a loss.

My camera takes terrible pictures, but here's what I've got.

Hey Joe
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:59:01 am »

The lever should be under the bezel. Remove the bezel front to find it.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
agent036
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 07:34:44 am »

I removed the bezel, which revealed the notch where the lever should be, there is no lever there. Nor is there the remains of a snapped off lever or a slot where a lever should extend from. I am flummoxed.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:07:31 pm »

You don't say where you got it, but it may be that some opportunistic soul took a stem set watch and put it in a lever-set case.  You need a special type of stem/tube arrangement to support the stem set.  A watchmaker could probably fix the case, if they can find parts.  The stems and tubes were fairly standardized, so it's just a matter of swapping them out.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
watch_guy
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:16:04 am »

Most cases are designed for use with both stem set and lever set watches. The only offhand exceptions are early set-screw pendant cases, and a few later special RR model cases like the Keystone #15. The case in question does not look like either of these to me.

After years of dirt and rust, the stems are often difficult to click in and out. Try pulling on it while rolling the crown backwards(not in the winding direction) slowly. This wills sometimes help loosen up a tight stem.

Assuming this works, a watchmaker can remove the stem and sleeve, and then clean and grease them for easier operation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: