The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:50:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need ideas for steampunking a standing lamp  (Read 3826 times)
likesilver
Swab

United States United States

« on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:47 pm »

Hi all, my first post here. I'm in a crafty mood and I have a few projects in mind but I thought that my old 70's standing lamp would lend itself really well to steampunk, especially since the necks of the lights move and bend. I posted the pics below.
I did pick up some vintage vacuum tubes (also below)off ebay that I think I could use with this but I'm having trouble with the whole overall concept of. I just can't figure out what to do with it, what it should look like. I could really use some suggestions....please???   Cheesy thanks, erin

Sitizen Cane
Snr. Officer
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:42:47 pm »

What about adding a light gaurd...like this..

Or...add side "decorative" parts...to look something like the pic below, but bigger..

Or...if you are REALLY looking to put some WOW into this....  try adding an orerry...to the top between the 2 lights...  Or create your own orerry with 2 suns (symbolised by the lights)....(sort of a custom Steampunk Galaxy...far far away...well..maybe not so far since its in your lounge..

THAT would be truly unique and awesome.
Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »

Maybe very obvious:type in "lamp"in the search function on this forum or Steampunk lamp in Google.For example:
http://handley.org.uk/images/lamp/lores/P1010189.JPG
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:21:16 pm »

In all honesty, I think if you can get the black paint or whatever it is off the surrounds to the bulbs, you don't need to do anything else to it. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
CptFancyBreeches
Officer

Maker/Airship Captain

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:23:49 pm »

add some "squirrel cage" light bulbs, those are some great steamy light bulbs

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:23:44 pm »

Yeah, I have to concur with their opinion that cages would be a good addition to the lamp for steaminess. However, about additional bits, perhaps...hmm... change the light switch to a lever switch, a big one, to make it look more of an apparatus than mere furniture.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: