The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 02:32:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Datamancer Interview at Aether Emporium  (Read 5675 times)
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Gomi no sensei

« on: February 21, 2007, 08:38:59 pm »

I wasnt sure where to put this, since there was no "Shameless Self-Promotion" category.

I thought some of you might want to check out the interview I just completed at Andy W's AetherEmporium wiki page.

Thanks, Andy (and Amanda for the initial referral)

-~D~-

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:59:29 pm »

Good interview, Mr Datamancer!  I have to say, of the interviews that I've read over at Andy's Aether Emporium, my favourite question asked is always the "How do you define Steampunk?" - it's always interesting to see what aspect of Steampunk people find most interesting, especially the ones I've not yet considered myself!  Yours is certainly no exception, Mr Datamancer - that it's a rebellion against the vacuum moulded plastic of current tech - makes a lot of sense.

I was quite interested that you're of the opinion that Steampunk may be growing out of its literary niche, and out into the wider world.  That should be very exciting to be on the front lines for, if it comes to pass.  I believe there was quite the discussion about the possibilities for that over at Cory's Steampunk2 group - though the discussion became somewhat unsettled by a rouge element until Cory very diplomatically restored peace.
Lasairfion
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 08:11:13 pm »

Perhaps, if we're lucky, then mainstream fashion will once more approach the fashions of the Steampunk era.
I've noticed in England, at any rate, that current fashion sources are registering around the 1950s/60s. I'd like to see a return to cravats, waistcoats and decent hats. I think it's about due... Wink
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:30:34 pm »

Good interview, Mr Datamancer!  I have to say, of the interviews that I've read over at Andy's Aether Emporium, my favourite question asked is always the "How do you define Steampunk?" - it's always interesting to see what aspect of Steampunk people find most interesting, especially the ones I've not yet considered myself!  Yours is certainly no exception, Mr Datamancer - that it's a rebellion against the vacuum moulded plastic of current tech - makes a lot of sense.

I was quite interested that you're of the opinion that Steampunk may be growing out of its literary niche, and out into the wider world.  That should be very exciting to be on the front lines for, if it comes to pass.

That's my favorite question, too.
I've been mulling it over a lot lately, and Datamancer and Herr Von Slatt really nailed some of my main attractions to the (yes, I'm going to say it) subculture.
I do think Steampunk has reached (budding) subculture status. A year or two ago all Google would turn up on it would be sites about games and Gibson and Sterling. Now there is a whole DIY ethic being absorbed into it. This evolution reminds me of  Borges' "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius."
Has anyone considered paralells between this hacker DIY customization Steampunk, and the Arts and Crafts Movement of the era we are all so enamored with?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:59:08 pm »

Well, I had to go read up about Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius, but good grief that sounds like a brainmelter.  Interesting theory though, that the fictional elements of Steampunk were initially rather unformed, but are becoming more formed as time goes on, and now peeking through into reality with the inclusion of so many creators and crafters making Steampunk artifacts of their own.  Rather ambitious, but it amuses me greatly - especially if it means I'll get my airship.  *chuckles*

As for parrallels between the Arts and Crafts movement - I can see the similarities.  A rebellion against the inhumanity of the design and technology of the time, and a return to a idealised version of the designs of the past.  Funny how they went against the sort of design we're now seeing as rich and beautifully technical (and brass filled).
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 03:27:22 am »

Thanks!
haha "Mr. Datamancer"...that still cracks me up.

Yeah I had to sit down with that question for a while. I guess I had never really thought about it before. Also, after Jake's awesome answer, I felt like I had to get all philosophical about it too, but due to a lack of time, I finally just broke down and wrote out some broad strokes.
It was just something I was always drawn to, and I never really stopped to define it. I have tinkering in my blood, and I've always been attracted to loud, dirty and heavy machinery. I've always felt that I existed in the wrong era. I've always envied an age (and this might have been merely my own romanticized, modernized view) where people conducted themselves with dignity and polite decorum...an age of chivalry without condescension or misogyny...of class without elitism....of sophistication without pretension (this is usually relative to social standing).

On the other side of it (the "-punk" i guess), I've always loved steampunk's almost defiant, sort of ramshackle refusal to accept the world around you as it stands. Steampunk seems to take this "punk" concept and apply it to invention and its subsequent effect on culture. Relating to VonSlatt's statements of the personal Industrial Revolution, the average barn or garage tinkerer was capable of mastering the height of technology at the time. The tech field was wide open to anyone with a little know-how and cleverness. This sort of freedom and "techpunkery" is starting to slip away from us, which I think is what accounts for much of the Hacker, Phreaker and Modder resurgance as of late....the DIY culture. You can even apply this to the recent "Gearhead Renaissance", as I've been calling it. All of these TV shows have sprung up like Overhaulin', American Hot Rod, American Choppers, Rides, Destroy My Ride, etc, etc that are all geared toward independant DIY customization as opposed to the rampant consumerist brainwashing of the last few years.

Like I said in the interview..."it's a reaction". It feels like humanity's stubborn mental backlash against being told what to do, what to buy, how to look, etc., for too long.
.....Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Funny visual relating to "steam" and "punk", I guess::
While I was writing this, I was reminded of waaay back in the day, when I was into the krust punk scene....you know those little bum flap things that a lot of squatter punks wear so you don't freeze your butt off sitting on concrete? Well I had one that I made, but it was a little set of black suit tails. hahaha I had completely forgotten about that until now.

-~D~-
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:09:08 pm by Datamancer » Logged
Vermilion
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 07:15:19 pm »

Perhaps, if we're lucky, then mainstream fashion will once more approach the fashions of the Steampunk era.
I've noticed in England, at any rate, that current fashion sources are registering around the 1950s/60s. I'd like to see a return to cravats, waistcoats and decent hats. I think it's about due... Wink

here in the U.S. I find alot of my everyday atire at Target and they actually have some real nice stuff mixed in with reg stuff. I bought myself 2 edwardian style coats for like 20$ each and I got several neo-V style lacy shirts and such. It's worth a look over ^.^. And anythign you find you can soup up and make cooler yourself ^.^
I do kind of cringe at the day hot topic will catch on and you can get pre-made googles and guns....Alot of the fun is finding, making your own stuff, and buying from artist who spend hours on there craft and trade. I think it would take away from the steampunkiness if you could go into a store and buy your self an entire steampunk warddrobe down to the gun and googles...then some of the creativity and craftmanship would be lost.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 07:19:15 pm »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...
But last November my girlfriend got me a pinstriped waistcoat with lovely skull and crossbone buttons, and little skull rivets on the pockets... at Hot Topic.

I know, I know.

It really is a nice vest, though.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 07:25:25 pm »

Well, Pirates of the Caribbean was a very big film release - I believe anything piratical became automatically cool at that point.  *chuckles*
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 07:25:47 pm »

I think it would take away from the steampunkiness if you could go into a store and buy your self an entire steampunk warddrobe down to the gun and googles...then some of the creativity and craftmanship would be lost.

That's what's going to hurt the most when it finally gets cornholed by the mighty Pop Culture Trend Engine and is pre-packaged and resold to us... The entire steampunk ethic is DIY and runs completely counter to trend culture!
It will be a massive slap in the face.
Vermilion
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 07:34:52 pm »

I think it would take away from the steampunkiness if you could go into a store and buy your self an entire steampunk wardrobe down to the gun and goggles...then some of the creativity and craft manship would be lost.

That's what's going to hurt the most when it finally gets cornholed by the mighty Pop Culture Trend Engine and is prepackaged and resold to us... The entire steampunk ethic is DIY and runs completely counter to trend culture!
It will be a massive slap in the face.

well we can all prey the fad is short .....and then when everything they bought gets shuffled to salvation army's and garage sales We can reap the rewards and we'll have oodles of things to deconstruct and remake even cooler Cheesy
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 07:43:07 pm »

well we can all prey the fad is short .....and then when everything they bought gets shuffled to salvation army's and garage sales We can reap the rewards and we'll have oodles of things to deconstruct and remake even cooler Cheesy

Heh, heh, heh...
EXACTLY.
Andy_W
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 07:49:47 pm »

All sub culture becomes mainstream eventually.

Look at Punk, Rock 'n' Roll and Goth. It all gets diluted and filtered down to become the norm.
Mind you if Airships become the norm I am not complaining!  Grin 
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 07:43:13 am »

If hot topic labels anything steampunk i think i might cry. If they do, better stock up then wait until it's unpopular!

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Lasairfion
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 11:12:39 pm »

http://www.simondale.net/house/

No, it's not steampunk at all, but I think it does reflect how 'modern man' is becoming unsettled by the plastic box consumerism he finds himself in, and is resorting back to more traditional methods and ways of living.

I certainly find that most people feel something about or towards this house, rather than the general sense of apathy you feel towards the modern three bedroom standard box your would normally find at the Estate Agents.
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 05:06:55 pm »

That's pretty cool....a little too pagany-hippy-dippy for my tastes, but I can appreciate the artistry in it.
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral

Adventurer & Scholar

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 08:18:52 pm »

It's a Hobbit Hole!  Shocked

{Imagines Steampunk Hobbits, then shudders.}

"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 04:24:26 am »

Hobbitpunk?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: