The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:59:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Compass  (Read 5776 times)
Lizbt Action
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Noble-born Wire Pirate

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 05:51:33 am »

"Currently slotted for a Boxing Day release in Australia"

Oh, I really, really hope this is wrong.

- Lizbt
xaledo
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 11:23:57 am »

From what I've seen in the trailers, this looks amazing. Especially Oxford.
floateruk
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 12:19:33 pm »

I absolutely loved these books. I'm so glad he's won the title of "best childrens book in the last 70 years" from Carnegie.

I hate holywood however. they may have the money to do the effects and scenes in this film justice, but they have to abide my america's christian feelings, and can't upset the vatican either.

I'm anxious to see how far the director can push this, because for those of you who have read it, and know how far the third book goes, it may well upset a fair few people.

Well, considering Dogma earnt Kevin Smith some death threats, i wouldn't be surprised if there was a massive uproar about these films.

Hello BTW.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 09:35:28 am »

Golden Compass is a better title anyway. It fit´s in better with the later two titles and doesn´t sound as bland as Northern Lights. I bet there are many books called Northern Lights.
I just read the first book, I think my expectations were too high. But Kidman actually seems like a good choice.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Enli
Officer

Enli

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 10:20:47 am »

I meant to post these earlier but I've been sick for a week and my mind hasn't been up to speed.

The first is Lord Asriel, the second might be his snow outfit.

Mrs. Coulter and Serafina Pekkala.

And my favorite outfit, though I can't remember whose it is. Unfortunately the glass reflected far too much dumb imagery from the booth next door.

And last but not least.. Iorek!

STEAMPUNK: THE NEW CULT OF DRUGS DEBAUCHARY AND DEATH
Masado
Officer
Germany Germany

ADA

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 05:38:18 pm »

Beautiful exhibition, I hopes it goes on journeys through Europe.

Dass man mitunter Gesichter verwechselt, hat seinen Grund darin, dass das wirkliche Bild verdunkelt wird von dem geistigen Bild, das ihm entspringt.
Charles Baudelaire, (1821 - 1867), französischer Dichter und Ästhetiker
Masado
Officer
Germany Germany

ADA

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 08:16:15 pm »

his dark materials:

The Golden Compass: Extended preview

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:20:49 pm by Masado » Logged
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 01:10:26 am »

Getting there.

iapryx
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 04:27:40 am »

Stardust had steampunk elements, but I didn't feel like it was totally immersed in it. Golden Compass is a different creature altogether (haven't read any of the books, but I'll read book one after the movie. I don't want to spoil the plot for myself).

I was under the impression that the publishers changed the title (hey, they did it to George Orwell...). Any reason why Pullman made that decision?

Airships: Most underestimated form of travel and entertainment since 1937.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 11:59:15 am »

Northern Lights was a rather bland title, and it didn´t fit well with the titles of the sequels. At least that is my theory.
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 12:52:55 pm »

I watched the trailer. and I required new pants.

it was a most exciting (yet undignified) situation. Undecided

-Sam.
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 11:24:27 pm »

I held high hopes for these books, but was rather disappointed on the first read-through.  Lyra just wasn't a very sympathetic character to me, much less the sort of character that I could reasonably see every. single. interesting. character falling head over heels in love with, in their respective fashions.  A lot of aspects of the story also seemed quite unattached (and not in a consistant stylistic manner), or too convenient for the storytelling to jive well, or otherwise unbelievable/unrealistic within the context of the world and characters Pullman created. 

But then, maybe I should read them one more time before I cement any opinions.

That won't stop me from drooling over the imagery of the movie, however.
Masado
Officer
Germany Germany

ADA

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 03:28:28 pm »

I had not better describe it. I think also in the novel Lyra´s character is horrible and too much esoteric there. The film follows most closely the book and I think it can be exciting to watch the movie. I love the steam car in the trailers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:47:12 pm by Masado » Logged
Val
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 06:48:52 am »

I'm a huge fan of the series and am counting down the days till December 7. I'd love to wear a steampunk costume to the premiere. I've made a few props from the books such as the alethiometer:

I believe Corgi is coming out with a toy version: http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/photograms/v/movies/merch/toys/alethiometer4.jpg.html

And Noble too: http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?catid=58 I know what I'm saving up for!

I'm Val by the way. Smiley
Goby
Gunner

My story gears are finally turning again!

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 05:19:24 pm »

I have never read the books but I now plan to, after I finish On Writing, this movie looks greatI will definatleyt see it. This is also a reminder that I am the only SteamPunk in my family  Undecided , possibly the only steampunk in my city of 40,000 poeple. ARRRGH!!! Can't wait another month.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 05:20:56 pm by Goby » Logged
Jessica Butcher
Gunner

Wannabe Time Traveller

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 07:03:14 pm »

Beautiful exhibition, I hopes it goes on journeys through Europe.

And America!

The thing I don't like about the trailer is that the daemons are quite downplayed, although apparently they care enough to devote a large section of the website to them. Daemons are an extremely important part of the book, and I earnestly hope that is reflected in the movie.

~WWND: What would [Captain] Nemo do?~
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2007, 07:06:17 pm »

That´s still better than turning the books into a "little girl has fun adventures with lots of cute animals" thing.
The catholic church seem to oppose the movie, even after they changed The Authority, or what they were called.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 09:28:24 pm »

It would appear His Dark Materials gets another chance. The BBC intends to make a TV-series out of it.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 11:57:09 pm »

apparently Hollywood have removed all references to god from the book before they would make it into a film. i don't see how it's going to translate personnaly... another "league" methinks, but possibly i could be proven wrong. Sam Elliot's always fun...   

no theyre leaving it all in, but any reference to the catholic church is strictly called the magesterium. im so excited about this film. atheist steam punk fantasy. phillip pullman will be remembered as the guy who dared to teach kids the things that actually matter - love, evolution, the evils of organised religion.
cant wait to see iorek in full force, best trilogy series ever written.

Actually, I understand that Pullman is/was an atheist, so any religious references may be negative.  Some may have been cut or altered, or perhaps disguised...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 01:04:35 pm »

Sorry gents I would reply but I'm suffering from a nasty case of hyper necropost whiplash. This thread literally came out of no where (eight year old nowhere to be more accurate) and BANG!  I went for a right pearler!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2016, 05:36:02 am »

I'm interested to see the Beeb's version.

I enjoyed the screen adaptation, but as much as I liked it, if my memories of the books are correct the stories rapidly devolve into a metaphysical mess. The first book (again, if my memories are accurate) may well be the only "filmable" of the bunch. (Heck, even the BBC never finished their version of Narnia...)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2016, 11:53:50 am »

I loved His Dark Materials!

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Victor Charlington
Deck Hand

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 08:35:46 am »

It's a shame they didn't complete the trilogy on screen, probably due to lack of interest I suppose...

I thought the first one was ok, if a bit "adventures with talking animals." I seem to remember the movie ending had to be changed from the book... I'll not go into the reasons why in case members haven't read it...!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2016, 09:14:43 am »

It's a shame they didn't complete the trilogy on screen, probably due to lack of interest I suppose...

I thought the first one was ok, if a bit "adventures with talking animals." I seem to remember the movie ending had to be changed from the book... I'll not go into the reasons why in case members haven't read it...!

I read the book after having seen the movie, and I was still disspointed in the movie. but, lets be honest, I don't think they could do The Amber Spyglass any justice in a movie.

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 11:57:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: