The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 01:36:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Compass  (Read 5775 times)
Masado
Officer
Germany Germany

ADA

« on: July 28, 2007, 08:01:08 pm »

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

Modified Trailer:

http://www.moviemaze.de/media/trailer/view/23612/bf160a572499aad6ee818195fb1fb942/3300_trailer01-en_480.flv
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 10:07:54 pm by Masado » Logged

Dass man mitunter Gesichter verwechselt, hat seinen Grund darin, dass das wirkliche Bild verdunkelt wird von dem geistigen Bild, das ihm entspringt.
Charles Baudelaire, (1821 - 1867), französischer Dichter und Ästhetiker
Jacob Squirrel
Officer
United States United States

Teller of Good Stories, Maker of Bad Jokes

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:23:28 pm »

Sam Elliott, Daniel Craig, on a steampunk epic, im on the verge of crying, really i am.

Not to crazy about the polar bear though, ive had enough of talking animals. Still, ill be one of the first in line for this.

"Madness is never to far away."
     -Jim Carrey
MadPierrot
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 10:47:28 pm »

I can't wait for this movie. I loved the book and really hope they do it justice. Perhaps they'll continue with the current Hollywood trend and do the entire series?
Aurelia Batchelor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 03:26:05 pm »

I just wish they had cast anyone but Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman - otherwise, I cannot wait to see it.  One of my friends also worked on the set for a few months and is listed in the credits, so I'm in trouble if I don't see it!   Wink
Gaslight Phantom
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 08:11:34 pm »

I've been waiting for this movie for five years – ever since I read the books. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it may have been The Golden Compass which got me hooked on Steampunk in the first place. Then again, it may have been 20,000 Leagues, since I forget which one I read first.

Anyhow, my boiler is stoked for this one.
Maximum Humphries
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 09:31:01 pm »

apparently Hollywood have removed all references to god from the book before they would make it into a film. i don't see how it's going to translate personnaly... another "league" methinks, but possibly i could be proven wrong. Sam Elliot's always fun...   

"Ever forward, my darling wind..."
Masado
Officer
Germany Germany

ADA

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 08:33:07 pm »

"i could be proven wrong."

an easy critical and intelligent answer, very good Sir.  Wink

I am strained on the film The Golden Compass, that elements out Pan´s Labyrint will surely take up.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:36:48 pm by Masado » Logged
rokkitgurl
Gunner
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Duchess Lenora Hammerman

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 12:37:44 am »

I plan to camp out and be in costume...Too bad no one in Minnesota has the first clue about this wonderful subculture!

SCHLAMPE! ... Ich liebe dich!
little-spoon
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 02:34:04 am »

I plan to camp out and be in costume...Too bad no one in Minnesota has the first clue about this wonderful subculture!

You should come down to Iowa. My husband, his best friend, and I are all going to the opening in our finest steampunk kit.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:44:19 am »

This film is a pain in the ass. Fur and blur, the animators are too good, that's why I'm sitting here at 3 in the morning. True it's going to look fantastic but It's going to half kill render support.  Sad

rokkitgurl
Gunner
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Duchess Lenora Hammerman

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 07:26:03 am »

You should come down to Iowa. My husband, his best friend, and I are all going to the opening in our finest steampunk kit.

I will definitely consider such a lovely offer....Thank you!
Enli
Officer

Enli

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 07:45:15 am »

This film is a pain in the ass. Fur and blur, the animators are too good, that's why I'm sitting here at 3 in the morning. True it's going to look fantastic but It's going to half kill render support.  Sad

Mr. Angus are you working on the film???  Shocked

I can't wait for this movie. I loved the first book (currently waiting for someone to return the second to the library, ergggh). I took photographs of all the costumes they had on display at the Comic Con (after some fangirl squealing), and although they aren't super clear I will gladly post them if anyone wishes to see them.

STEAMPUNK: THE NEW CULT OF DRUGS DEBAUCHARY AND DEATH
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 07:51:53 am »

i would quite like to see them, if at all possible...
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 08:32:41 am »

Mr. Angus are you working on the film???  Shocked

I can't wait for this movie. I loved the first book (currently waiting for someone to return the second to the library, ergggh). I took photographs of all the costumes they had on display at the Comic Con (after some fangirl squealing), and although they aren't super clear I will gladly post them if anyone wishes to see them.

Some of it. bears mainly some casm shots but that's not a big secret as they're in the trailer. I'm more IT janitorial that actual frame making. Still, it's a living.
Masado
Officer
Germany Germany

ADA

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 09:26:16 am »

The Trailer  of The Golden Compass can be merged on the own website. My Lady did that immediately:

http://www.nuina.de/nuina/unterhaltung.html
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 10:22:39 am »

apparently Hollywood have removed all references to god from the book before they would make it into a film. i don't see how it's going to translate personnaly... another "league" methinks, but possibly i could be proven wrong. Sam Elliot's always fun...   

no theyre leaving it all in, but any reference to the catholic church is strictly called the magesterium. im so excited about this film. atheist steam punk fantasy. phillip pullman will be remembered as the guy who dared to teach kids the things that actually matter - love, evolution, the evils of organised religion.
cant wait to see iorek in full force, best trilogy series ever written.
Alderman Simeon
Snr. Officer

of Darlington, England

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 11:05:02 am »

I read on that very useful website "SomewhereOnTheInternetButIveForgottenWhere.com" (possibly MeFi) that some high-up official at the Vatican said that, although the Church regards the Harry Potter books as a non-issue, "if we still maintained the Index, these books [the HDM trilogy] would be on it". Part of the reason I bought them. I'm about halfway through the first volume, enjoying it immensely.

Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.
Doctor When
Zeppelin Captain

Proud to have been the first Steampunk in The Chap

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 12:02:36 pm »

The Golden Compass

It took me a few seconds to realise this was Northern Lights in it's Colonial disguise. This is awesome news! I thoroughly enjoyed all Pullman's trilogy... I just hope they do it justice, too.

EDIT: I just watched the trailers. It's looking pretty good so far...!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:09:41 pm by Doctor When » Logged

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
Masado
Officer
Germany Germany

ADA

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 01:22:49 pm »

In any case. If the complexity of the books is to remain in approximately, I put all, which want to see the film, much to the heart to read before the book!
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 04:46:54 pm »

The Golden Compass

It took me a few seconds to realise this was Northern Lights in it's Colonial disguise.

Yes that caught me off gaurd too, I am guessing that by the golden compass they mean the alithieometer?

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Doctor When
Zeppelin Captain

Proud to have been the first Steampunk in The Chap

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 05:23:43 pm »

I am guessing that by the golden compass they mean the alithieometer?

Yes, "The Golden Compass" was the US title of "Northern Lights". I'm not sure why - either the American Colonies don't have the phrase "Northern Lights", or they think it means a type of cannabis.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 05:39:09 pm »

Yes, "The Golden Compass" was the US title of "Northern Lights". I'm not sure why - either the American Colonies don't have the phrase "Northern Lights", or they think it means a type of cannabis.

Thanks for that bit of unwarranted misinformation. (We do in fact have the phrase Northern Lights - referring to the Aurora Borealis, and there are much more interesting names for cannabis that don't have anything to do with the magnetosphere.)

Wikipedia provides a more useful explanation. 

The superficial resemblance of protagonist Lyra Belacqua's alethiometer (depicted on the book's cover) to a large compass caused the North American publishers of Northern Lights to retitle the book The Golden Compass. In fact, The Golden Compasses was an early proposal for the name of the trilogy (instead of His Dark Materials), taken from Milton's Paradise Lost, where it refers to the drawing instrument, rather than the navigation instrument.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 12:53:44 am »

Thanks for that bit of unwarranted misinformation. (We do in fact have the phrase Northern Lights - referring to the Aurora Borealis, and there are much more interesting names for cannabis that don't have anything to do with the magnetosphere.)

Wikipedia provides a more useful explanation. 

The superficial resemblance of protagonist Lyra Belacqua's alethiometer (depicted on the book's cover) to a large compass caused the North American publishers of Northern Lights to retitle the book The Golden Compass. In fact, The Golden Compasses was an early proposal for the name of the trilogy (instead of His Dark Materials), taken from Milton's Paradise Lost, where it refers to the drawing instrument, rather than the navigation instrument.

alright angry man, he was only joking!  the golden compass was the original name for northern lights in the UK, but was changed after some publishing problems. pullman chose to change it.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 12:21:14 pm »

alright angry man, he was only joking! 

I hoped he was. We've got a bad enough rap internationally as it is (with our current administration, etc), I got a little defensive. Apologies.
woogychuck
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 03:36:26 am »

Is it December 7th yet?

How about now?

I guess I'll have to get to work on a time-travel device ASAP.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: