The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 06:33:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Street goes Steampunk?  (Read 3103 times)
Violet Leigh
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: November 19, 2010, 12:01:32 am »

Having (more or less accidentally) wandered into the high street emporium known as New Look the other day, I was quite astounded to come across a couple of quite adorable jackets.. maybe it was just shock and surprise at finding something I'd actually want to wear in there, but if anybody is looking for a base for a military-ish costume, it might be worth you taking a quick look at the following!:

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jackets-and-coats/military-wool-jacket_198867533

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jackets-and-coats/double-breasted-military-coat_200424233

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jackets-and-coats/asymmetric-military-coat_198793341

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jackets-and-coats/velvet-frill-jacket_201834441

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jackets-and-coats/asymmetric-military-coat_198793327?productFind=search

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jackets-and-coats/military-velvet-jacket_198867501

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jackets-and-coats/military-leatherette-jacket_200494401

As I'm less than gifted with a needle, they were somewhat like manna from heaven. Sadly I'm also somewhat broke, so they stayed on the shelves Wink however, they also had some incredibly tacky silver cog earrings for a quid in the bargain bin and I'm afraid they came home with me..

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was looking for something to build on! Smiley

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:37:14 am »

Yes right now there seems to be a fashion for such jackets, though to me they look more like a marching band than military.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:53:47 am »

Just been checking out their mens jackets and boots. What's with  all their ridiculous sizes?? Jackets only available in small and medium?...boots in size 8 only?!!
They shouldn't call themselves 'New Look' they should call themselves 'Skinny Midgets'  Angry

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
elShoggotho
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:00:30 am »

Just been checking out their mens jackets and boots. What's with  all their ridiculous sizes?? Jackets only available in small and medium?...boots in size 8 only?!!
They shouldn't call themselves 'New Look' they should call themselves 'Skinny Midgets'  Angry
http://www.newlook.com/shop/mens/jackets-and-coats/drummer-jacket_196640808
http://www.newlook.com/shop/mens/jackets-and-coats/military-jacket_198664903
http://www.newlook.com/shop/mens/jackets-and-coats/zip-and-button-military-jacket_204340903

They also cater for skinny midgets, but you just have to look carefully.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:20:57 am »

Captain,

Let's face it. we're just too large to be trendy.
Scrawny, undernourished street urchin is 'in'.
Why is there always such surprise at the fact that the fashion shops go for smaller sizes?
It just makes economic sense to mass produce clothes that take less material.
The answer is to organise a photo shoot of 'normal sized' people wearing the sort of off the peg clothes from the high street shops.
Maybe the sight of exposed ample beer bellies, manly chests and overly long arms/legs will cause the manufacturers to reconsider.
What a catwalk show that would make.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:08:33 am »

"Military" is supposed to be the "in" look for the season.   This has caused some friends who are retired career military to complain that they've worn that type of clothes most of their adult lives and don't want to see it all over the store racks.

Vienna
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:59 am »

http://www.newlook.com/shop/mens/jackets-and-coats/zip-and-button-military-jacket_204340903

Granted some styles are available in XL and XXL but why only some?..surely their full range should be available in all sizes. I don't actually like the three examples you gave, Shoggotho. There are some other jackets on there much more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than those three and none of those ones come in anything larger than a medium. I quite like those blazers with the white piping trim but I'd have to be an Action Man to get into any of them!
Violet Leigh
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 11:10:03 pm »

Ah yes, sadly the target market for this particular brand does tend to be the tiny teens with daddies credit card demographic. Being of a healthily robust frame myself (and therefore positively obese as far as the fashion scene is concerned) I can fully appreciate the frustrations...

Sorry folks, hadn't intended to spark a (perfectly correct and legitimate) debate on the lack of practical sizes offered by high street brands, just to flag up some potentially interestingly shaped jackets for anybody who a) they did fit and b) might have been looking for something similar.

I hate to confess to it, but I'll be buying the Military Wool Jacket as soon as my next pay clears, simply to wear for work... Smiley

I can also understand your friends reasoning, Vienna - it is slightly frustrating when a style you've been wearing for years is suddenly 'in' - mind you the same thing happened in Brisbane about ten years ago, Goth hit the fashion scene in a big way, pretty much causing several close friends to retire their eyeliner in despair at all the little fashion dollies tripping about, not quite getting it and acting like they'd invented it all from scratch. The rest of us just went out, stocked up on the bits we really liked, and waited for it to all blow over Wink Which it did in due course...

Having spent half my life in Aus, I feel the same way every time I see a pair of Ugg boots being worn outside on the street. After three years, the urge to damage myself laughing at the sight of them (in Brissie, you only EVER wore Uggs outside between the off-licence/dole office and had the corresponding ripped skinny jeans, what was charmingly known as a 'wife beater' muscle tshirt, topped with a flannie - and fag packet rolled up into the sleeve) has nearly gone and I now own a knock-off pair myself, simply for the thrill of being able to turn up to work in my slippers and not have anybody bat an eyelash.

There is no reason to fashion. There's just the odd chance to take advantage of it Wink If it ever stocks a decent size...

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 02:58:39 am »

Granted some styles are available in XL and XXL but why only some?..surely their full range should be available in all sizes. I don't actually like the three examples you gave, Shoggotho. There are some other jackets on there much more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than those three and none of those ones come in anything larger than a medium. I quite like those blazers with the white piping trim but I'd have to be an Action Man to get into any of them!

And that Captain is why I still turn to the wizened elders of Gentlemens retailing such as the chaps linked below. I'm not a big bloke myself but nonetheless, they've been doing it since the stoneage it seems. And they haven't forgotten what a man can be built like! Although the current trend for skinny mod style suits seems to be ubiquitous (saves on material ay what?).

Thank God I brought all mine well back in the day! And they still haven't fallen apart yet. Granted they are still quite conservative in style. But modding is half the fun in this game isn't it.

Bit of piping or a few shiny buttons shouldn't be too hard. (sneak into new look and pull a few orf!)  Grin

http://www.burton.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogNavigationSearchResultCmd?catalogId=33052&storeId=12551&langId=-1&viewAllFlag=false&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208983&parent_categoryId=208974&beginIndex=1&pageSize=20#catalogId=33052&storeId=12551&langId=-1&viewAllFlag=false&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208983&parent_categoryId=208974&beginIndex=1&pageSize=20

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
elShoggotho
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 05:07:35 am »

I took the easy way and bought genuine military surplus. High quality for the lowest price possible, also in sizes for the very models of a modern major general, if you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:09:28 am by elShoggotho » Logged
Kelley
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 03:09:22 pm »

I wouldn't exactly call that "high street", they don't even break the third figure ! ;-)

I think it's funny that some lament things not appearing in larger sizes - I find it so much easier to find a 42R jacket than a 34R (my size, being skinny, although not quite a midget). The 34s I've found tend to "run big" as a product of vanity sizing.

I can only ever find trousers that fit. I can even find trousers too small for me - I'm not sure why they won't sell me anything for my arms.
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:38:37 pm »

I belive that TOP SHOP has a 'new steampunk range' in stores at the moment.
Roll on xmas sales.
Lady E.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 07:31:20 pm »

And, of course, the "after New Year Inventory clearance" sales....

Vienna
GameraGX
Gunner

Student of Occult Studies

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 08:00:01 pm »

Captain,

Why is there always such surprise at the fact that the fashion shops go for smaller sizes?
The answer is to organise a photo shoot of 'normal sized' people wearing the sort of off the peg clothes from the high street shops.
Maybe the sight of exposed ample beer bellies, manly chests and overly long arms/legs will cause the manufacturers to reconsider.
It's only a matter of time before those of us who have a bit of weight are cut down like so much grass by the lawnmower of a shallow society that places too much emphasis on appearance and sexual attraction rather than the quality of a mans personality and actions.

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 09:00:59 pm »

Consider it this way, most of us who are larger sizes would have been considered "fine figures" of men and women by late Victorian or Edwardian standards.  (King Edward couldn't have found anything in his size in most of today's stores...grin).

Vienna
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »

I mentioned this Joe Browns 'Great Coat' elsewhere but as we're talking about the High Street.
 It's £100 and although genuine second hand great coats can be found they are rare and usually cost pretty much the same.
 And they do 'fat bastid'.

http://www.joebrowns.co.uk/sp+The-Great-Coat+JA095

I cannot however, for the life of me, find one single other item in thier catalogue that I'd want to wear.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 04:20:13 am »

Captain,

It's only a matter of time before those of us who have a bit of weight are cut down like so much grass by the lawnmower of a shallow society that places too much emphasis on appearance and sexual attraction rather than the quality of a mans personality and actions.

Never fear Sirs, these things have been going around in circles since time immemorial!

Reverend Panic
Zeppelin Captain

Steamsloth

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 10:54:54 am »

As a Skinny Midget, Huzzah!

Come and chat in the IRC, #Brassgoggles on Freenode, or click this link for the Browser based IRC Application:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=brassgoggles

(We have cookies.)
Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 01:29:04 pm »

Hey hey hey. Sexual attraction hasn't been standardized yet. Both sides of the coin are nothing to be argued about, a) the fact that human beings come in different shapes, sizes, colours and b) that each of them will be appreciated by someone because tastes are different too. Also, there's more to being sexy than looking a certain way.

Sorry to jump on you like that, it's a pet peeve of mine. I'd rather have a man with bear-hug abilities and a belly than an anemic boy without body hair. As for the appearance part ... smelling good won't harm. :p
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 01:54:48 pm by Stella Aberwitz » Logged
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »

I belive that TOP SHOP has a 'new steampunk range' in stores at the moment.
Roll on xmas sales.
Lady E.

I'm hoping for xmas sales for their pinstriped playsuit
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 01:51:10 pm by RoseOak » Logged

GameraGX
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 08:56:55 pm »

Hey hey hey. Sexual attraction hasn't been standardized yet. Both sides of the coin are nothing to be argued about, a) the fact that human beings come in different shapes, sizes, colours and b) that each of them will be appreciated by someone because tastes are different too. Also, there's more to being sexy than looking a certain way.

Sorry to jump on you like that, it's a pet peeve of mine. I'd rather have a man with bear-hug abilities and a belly than an anemic boy without body hair. As for the appearance part ... smelling good won't harm. :p
It's a pet peeve of mine as well, it irritates me so much because I see so many women with men who, while physically attractive, treat their women as though they were lower than dirt and still have that highschool "I'm the cool guy and your a loser" mentality.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 10:19:07 pm »

....men who, while physically attractive, treat their women as though they were lower than dirt and still have that highschool "I'm the cool guy and your a loser" mentality.

There's an old saying 'The biggest trick the Devil played was convincing Man that he didn't exist.'
 But there was a bigger trick. When womankind managed to fool men into thinking they were in control. Grin
GameraGX
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 01:29:31 am »

....men who, while physically attractive, treat their women as though they were lower than dirt and still have that highschool "I'm the cool guy and your a loser" mentality.

There's an old saying 'The biggest trick the Devil played was convincing Man that he didn't exist.'
 But there was a bigger trick. When womankind managed to fool men into thinking they were in control. Grin
i lol'd!
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 01:57:10 am »

As a Skinny Midget, Huzzah!

Agreed! For too long, menswear has been dominated by clothing cut to fit grizzly bears, with "small" being sized for a 42 inch chest, and trouser sizes never going below a 34. There are many small, skinny guys out there who have been forced to either wear ill-fitting clothing, or splurge on Asian imports which do actually acknowledge that men can be shorter than 175 cm an weigh less that 90 kg!

Seriously, larger guys? Maybe you can't get nice clothes, but have you ever tried to go shopping with a man who's 165 cm tall and weighs 50 kg? (And before someone jumps in with "Feed him a sandwich!", first off, fuck you. Second, it's called "genetics".)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:58:42 am by Flynn MacCallister » Logged
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 07:22:24 pm »

My husband is 5 feet 3 inches tall and has a terrible time finding clothes unless he takes a business trip to Asia, or visits our local tailor.  He's broad-chested, which makes finding well-fitting clothing even more fun for him.  fortunately, he can go to work most days in jeans and a short-sleeved shirt.  (It's kind of odd for me being the tallest person in the foursome when we go out with my older sister and her husband...she is about 5 feet 2 inches tall and her husband in about 5 feet 4 inches tall.  I'm 5 feet 6 inches tall in stocking feet....).

Vienna
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: