The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:36:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Can anyone think of a really new question about the fundamental nature..''  (Read 3391 times)
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

London & Western Home Counties Steampunk Society

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 12:49:25 am »

Maybe horses just aren't as accessible unless to the priveliged few. I'm sure most people would love to ride about in a horse drawn handsom cab or similar, but it just isn't practical in towns and cities. I think you're right though, A Vauxhall Zafira being driven around by a chap in a tailcoat and topper isn't entirely befitting of the style... but a vauxhall zafira can at least negate the various parking problems associated with Mr Ed. It is surprising that the most steampunky horse stuff I've seen is in the artwork by Roger Dean, and I'm not sure that even that counts properly!

I think the modification of horse tack is usually left to the fetish comunities. haha!

No matter how far you push the envelope, it remains stationery
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 01:36:02 am »

I think the modification of horse tack is usually left to the fetish comunities. haha!

Carefull now!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Goggle Police are still watching!

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 01:49:52 am »

Well, I must say that fellow looks properly Steampunkish, and they are on a train....not quite what I was driving at, but a good photograph, none-the-less.  Grin

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 02:01:49 am »

Argus: Goggle Police? And also, to be honest with you, when I clicked on "spoiler", considering the nature of that particular post, that was the very last photo I'd expected/hoped to see. hahaha!

Sgt Major: That's John McCririck. He's a horce racing pundit or tipster (not entirely sure as it's something that doesn't appeal so much to me) and racing commentator. Absolutely stark staring mad and quite a character. I never thought of him as SP though... just mad as a bag of wet mice.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 06:19:20 am »

Argus: Goggle Police? And also, to be honest with you, when I clicked on "spoiler", considering the nature of that particular post, that was the very last photo I'd expected/hoped to see. hahaha!

Sgt Major: That's John McCririck. He's a horce racing pundit or tipster (not entirely sure as it's something that doesn't appeal so much to me) and racing commentator. Absolutely stark staring mad and quite a character. I never thought of him as SP though... just mad as a bag of wet mice.

Sorry, didn't assume you'd read it but obviously wasn't sure, here it is if you're vaguely interested, but just to explain.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27114.25

A question about the inclusion of Zippers in SP attire. Led to me to imagine that there could be a Steampunk Helpline similar to other religious hotlines that can advise you on how to avoid blasphemous errors! Obviously manned by a wisend elder SP, who might in this instance possibly resemble guess who?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 06:22:54 am »

Carefull now!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Goggle Police are still watching!

My god, it's a horse furry, with hands...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 10:34:55 am »

We all know that the name steampunk was based on the phrase cyberpunk.
Would steampunk have less arguments and confusion if it was based on the term Science Fiction instead so we would all be Steam Fictionists?

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
GameraGX
Gunner

Student of Occult Studies

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 07:20:30 pm »

We all know that the name steampunk was based on the phrase cyberpunk.
Would steampunk have less arguments and confusion if it was based on the term Science Fiction instead so we would all be Steam Fictionists?

Steam Fictionists might possibly have less arguments and confusion, but its nowhere near as catchy as Steampunk.

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 09:34:13 pm »

I actually prefer the term 'Neo-Victorian', but it too late to change now...

Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 06:07:07 pm »

I dunno.. Steampunk is cool.. It sounds more like fun. names like Neo Victorian or Steam Fictionists sound a bit too sensible and a bit stiff and serious to me. Steampunk says that we don't really take ourselves too seriously and people are more "approachable", in that "normal" folks can have a crack with us and we'll not get all grumpy if they laugh at a ray gun.

I dunno... some people DO take everything very seriously, but I think the majority are just having a great laugh zapping stuff with ray guns and the like. Smiley

just my opinion.
GameraGX
Gunner

Student of Occult Studies

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 08:53:37 pm »

I dunno.. Steampunk is cool.. It sounds more like fun. names like Neo Victorian or Steam Fictionists sound a bit too sensible and a bit stiff and serious to me. Steampunk says that we don't really take ourselves too seriously and people are more "approachable", in that "normal" folks can have a crack with us and we'll not get all grumpy if they laugh at a ray gun.

I dunno... some people DO take everything very seriously, but I think the majority are just having a great laugh zapping stuff with ray guns and the like. Smiley

just my opinion.
And a fine opinion it is, good show old bean.
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 02:17:19 am »

I actually prefer the term 'Neo-Victorian', but it too late to change now...
I always thought that Neo-Victorian and Steampunk were distinctly different genres...Seeing as how Steampunk incorporates much more technology into the Victorian era, and Neo-Victorian can just be someone who likes to dress Victorian, strictly Victorian.
Mister Greyshade
Snr. Officer

DJ and Urban Homesteader

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 05:05:53 am »

Then I pondered it and...the "darker side of steampunk" is anything that can spark heated debates...like:elitism, politics, religion, drawing the line between steampunk and "poser", what qualifies as steampunk etc...

There was a temporary forum made that was dedicated to all the questions that cant really be sdiscussed here...so...I THINK thats the "darker side" of steampunk. This is the lighter side because its great for newcommers and basically just any steampunk enthusiast of any age, sex,race, mechanical proficiency, or otherwise.

This is the case. If you look at the really early posts on the forum you can find a lot of allusions to the previous forum. Many of the arguments continued anyway although the language was more veiled. Its the reason for the forbidden topics.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: