The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:39:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Can anyone think of a really new question about the fundamental nature..''  (Read 3393 times)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« on: November 14, 2010, 08:14:06 pm »

...of Steampunk'.

Well, can you?

Thanks Major. Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:18:59 pm »

What does it smell like?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »

Coal fire, steam, oil and electricity.

Why does it annoy some people, and cause such great debate amongst it's adherents?

TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:46:53 pm »

...of Steampunk'.

Well, can you?

Thanks Major. Wink

Someone had to go and do it didn't they...   it was intended as semi rhetorical as you well know.

Once again we will descend into mindless banter and appalling puns... oh that's what I come here for...

Grin

BE SPLENDID!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:47:21 pm »

Coal fire, steam, oil and electricity.

Why does it annoy some people, and cause such great debate amongst it's adherents?

For Q1: because some non-steamer people get jealous if they can't enjoy themselves the way we do.

For Q2: Because it is so interesting that we tend get attached to our feelings about it; we are passionate -or at least I am, I don't know about other folks  Wink

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:15:59 pm »

...of Steampunk'.

Well, can you?

Thanks Major. Wink
Someone had to go and do it didn't they...   it was intended as semi rhetorical as you well know.
Once again we will descend into mindless banter and appalling puns... oh that's what I come here for...
 Grin

Of COURSE I knew. But you didn't really think I'd let a chance like that pass did you? Grin
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

London & Western Home Counties Steampunk Society

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:38:28 pm »

Well, as a newcomer myself, there's one thing that has intrigued me.

The website's strapline: "The lighter side of Steampunk". I've been googling, talking to people and trying to learn as much as possible, however, all I have found just concurs with my findings. I'm not saying that everyone are clones and everyone agrees on everything and that I've discovered there are a massive range of different flavours of Steampunk: RPGers, Cosplayers, lifestylers, makers, modders, part timers and periphary voyeurs and everything in between.

However, one thing I've not been able to determine is what, if anything is the "darker side of steampunk"?

It conjurs up some fantastic mental imagery for me: The mad scientists who have been exiled back to their faraway underground labs for their crimes against Steampunk... Who are these "people of whom we do not speak"; The splinter groups, the hideous Steampunk outcasts?

That's my "new" question , anyway. Yeah, probably not all that new, but didn't find anything in the search results. :oD

No matter how far you push the envelope, it remains stationery
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:06:55 pm »

For things of a more *ahem* adult nature have a look at the Steampunk section on http://www.fetlife.com/

Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 04:28:19 am »

I suspect that we hear so little about "the darker side of steampunk" because there are so few practitioners. In fact, rumor has that there are only two: a master, and an apprentice.
Yes, I am a geek. But did it strike anyone else as peculiar that there no journeyman Sith?
Herself just added: "There is no dark side of steampunk—it's all dark."
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 05:43:07 am »

For things of a more *ahem* adult nature have a look at the Steampunk section on http://www.fetlife.com/

I used to have a Fetlife account a while back but couldn't get by with every other page being a nag screen asking for money! I didn't notice any Steampunk stuff on there- I didn't even know it had wandered over to the Fetish community and scene either.
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 06:35:06 am »

The website's strapline: "The lighter side of Steampunk". I've been googling, talking to people and trying to learn as much as possible, however, all I have found just concurs with my findings. I'm not saying that everyone are clones and everyone agrees on everything and that I've discovered there are a massive range of different flavours of Steampunk: RPGers, Cosplayers, lifestylers, makers, modders, part timers and periphary voyeurs and everything in between.

However, one thing I've not been able to determine is what, if anything is the "darker side of steampunk"?

It conjurs up some fantastic mental imagery for me: The mad scientists who have been exiled back to their faraway underground labs for their crimes against Steampunk... Who are these "people of whom we do not speak"; The splinter groups, the hideous Steampunk outcasts?

That's my "new" question , anyway. Yeah, probably not all that new, but didn't find anything in the search results. :oD
Upon immediately reading your post I said "YESSSSS YESSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSS" Because this is a question i have not heard...plus Mr. Boltneck made the genius starwars pun...

Then I pondered it and...the "darker side of steampunk" is anything that can spark heated debates...like:elitism, politics, religion, drawing the line between steampunk and "poser", what qualifies as steampunk etc...

There was a temporary forum made that was dedicated to all the questions that cant really be sdiscussed here...so...I THINK thats the "darker side" of steampunk. This is the lighter side because its great for newcommers and basically just any steampunk enthusiast of any age, sex,race, mechanical proficiency, or otherwise.
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 07:16:36 am »

I've been an active member of a few "communities" over the years. Still am of some, but what really turned me off the others is the sheer level of elitism and snobbery. One of the things that drew me to SP in the first place being the distinct shortage (although, I'm absolutely certain that it isn't completely devoid). Discussing politics, sexual orientation, religion, race and all that is more than fair enough as they're inflammatory as it is, so yep, you're right.

From experience, this is indeed a great place for noobs as a first-point-of-contact into the movement. Everyone is very welcoming and although there are debated topics, they're debated- as opposed to being argued over childishly. There isn't any obvious one-upmanship and the most skilled people are often the first to offer advice on the simplest of questions.

I'm surprised that it hasn't come up before. It was the first thing I noticed when I first found BrassGoggles and was looking into SP- which made me wonder if the whole thing is quite so riddled with undesirables and shrouded in poseurs and general gits that it actually warranted a "lighter side"! Glad it didn't put me off though. hahaha!

I wanted to add that I just read back my original post and it makes no sense:
"...however, all I have found just concurs with my findings..."
I should say, that my findings confirmed my initial preconceptions.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:20:00 am by Prof_Von_Grumbleflick » Logged
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 07:28:13 am »

It just means that the forum itself is meant to be lighthearted. There used to be a complete blanket ban on discussion of politics, religion, and firearms, because these are all serious and controversial topics. The ban has been loosened, but threads still get closed if it gets too heated, aggressive, or insulting.
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 08:35:27 am »

0_o I always thought the darker side was all the stuff we'd love to forget about our favorite time period...

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 11:50:25 am »

0_o I always thought the darker side was all the stuff we'd love to forget about our favorite time period...

Yes, agreed. There does seem to be a slant towards a more egalitarian and perhaps one could say enlightened recasting of the victorian nastiness. It would take a bold and perhaps obvious roleplayer to invoke the racism, sexism and classism in a portrayal. I also think one would have to be ready for the consequences of that roleplay to be offensive despite it being fictionalized, reflecting of historical truths or complete rubbish which has nothing to do with one's real life ideas or person. Since not everyone is roleplaying along knowing how on stage or off stage one is becomes difficult and problematic.

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »

There was a lot of nasty stuff happening in Victorian England, but I think a lot of it was invisible (or out of sight-out of mind) to the gentry and upper classes who lived in their ivory towers and gaslit streets.
To be fair it's not dissimilar now, I'd guess that with 100 miles of any of us there's going to be a book full of human trafficking, petty crime, prostitution, murder and thuggery.
Expand that to 1000 miles and you'd possibly find countries and communities with archaic practices about voting, repressed females, ostracised and disenfranchised social groups and more than likely some horrible situations too unpleasant to discuss on this fine and fluffy forum.

Just as I only take my favourite sweets from the sweets shops assortment so I'll only pick my favourite parts of history.
It's not that I don't acknowledge they exist, but if I'm looking for a pleasant experience I'm not going to eat them.

But, back on topic.
A new question about the fundamental nature of steampunk.

Why is it that certain objects which contain no steam or punk are inherently steampunk while other objects which are both steam and punk aren't?

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 04:24:27 pm »

Why is it that certain objects which contain no steam or punk are inherently steampunk while other objects which are both steam and punk aren't?

I think, to come up with an answer to that question, I'd need some examples.
quickfire
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 04:42:09 pm »

I think there is some "darker" steampunk I am working on a cross of SP and Lovecraft and it will be a dark persona for sure.  I also think that you don't see a lot of dark or light in steampunk, if we are talking in terms of good and evil.  Because it is practical, and scientific it is more a vast ocean of gray, even the pirates are charming.   
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 05:01:55 pm »

I shall start with the obvious cliché.
A well dressed gent wearing a Bowler hat and Brass goggles.
This contains no steam and no punk, but is the stereotypical steampunk.

A modern Morphy Richards Kettle with a giant red Mohawk would be both steam and punk and yet not steampunk at all.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 05:06:36 pm »

I shall start with the obvious cliché.
A well dressed gent wearing a Bowler hat and Brass goggles.
This contains no steam and no punk, but is the stereotypical steampunk.

A modern Morphy Richards Kettle with a giant red Mohawk would be both steam and punk and yet not steampunk at all.

Well, the bowler and goggles are relevant to the Victorian which comprises a fairly large portion of Steampunk if you relate it to the original writings that first coined the phrase. I think that's a given and not really difficult to explain at all.

However, the kettle is...well...its....not....erm....that's silly. They're not made of brass obviously.
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 12:21:40 am »

is it Fun?

are you da mental?

does steam really have to be hot?

are you a punk if you have a minivan?

would cars be cooler if the gears were on the outside?

Onward ho!
GameraGX
Gunner

Student of Occult Studies

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 12:32:57 am »

is it Fun?

are you da mental?

does steam really have to be hot?

are you a punk if you have a minivan?

would cars be cooler if the gears were on the outside?

yes, debateable, yes, debateable, ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 12:36:47 am »

"Absolutely"... Precicely what I was typing as it came up with the new reply notification! haha!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:42 am »

Actually, this just occurred to me. Given the Victorian basis, consider the fact that for the great majority of the period, people did not, for the most part, travel about on boneshaker pennyfarthing bicycles, nor in steam carriages, nor on giant mechanical spiders or even zeppelins. Trains were the only really commonly seen and used form of mechanical vehicle, and even so most people had little occasion to use them on a regular basis. No, sorry, far and away the most common form of transport was the horse, either riding one or behind one or more in a coach or buggy. Therefore, my question is; Why is there not far more horse related stuff in Steampunk? Horse tack would lend itself just fine to modding, at least as much as clothing does.

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
GameraGX
Gunner

Student of Occult Studies

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 12:42:10 am »

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2009/10/22/steampunk-horse_PUmiU_54.gif steampunk horse ^_^
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: