The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 09:00:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TSF is one week old today. What are you up to now?  (Read 4622 times)
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« on: March 02, 2007, 10:55:59 pm »

'evening all,

Since this is the one week 'birthday' of TSF, I decided I had better write this post while I could still call today Friday.

As you all saw then initially we had a huge influx of new members (obviously), and a flurry of activity and photos/descriptions of all the wonderful projects being worked on out there among us. However over the last few days it seems the level of activity has decreased by just a hair, and I was wondering if we might perhaps have run out of steam(!) a bit, or is it - as I suspect - the case that we have each gone back to the workdesks/computers/sewing machines/what have you to get a bit done on our projects?

It would be interesting to hear if people have been inspired or stimulated by the activities seen here on TSF over the last seven days, and if you have, what are you up to now? Starting new projects, collecting materials, gone to the drawing board, continuing with new energy on your current project, no change?

Personally I have been working a bit on that walking stick for the modern gentleman I threatened to fabricate. Haven't gone very far yet, but the radio design has gotten off the drawing board. Below is a rough but working (sorta/kinda) prototype of the low voltage valve electronics AM radio receiver I intend to shoehorn inside/onto a walking stick. It may look terribly complicated but in reality it is an amazingly simple design, currently with a mere 14 (fourteen) active components. The remaining ones are just the result of the experimental process and conservative design. The 2x 9 pin valve bases seen edgewise doesn't exactly help to reduce the clutter either. Note that some of the large chunks are expected to eventually disappear again.

I have also made a snapshot of the lighted valves as seen in the dark, though this is pushing my camera a bit. The center part isn't really violet but incandescent orange as you would expect. I always gets these strange colours whenever I try to photograph working valves.

Still has some work to do here though before I will have a chance of being able to declare this as a working design.

C.S.

July 19th, 02009: Lab project delayed. Local home 'improvement' stores have apparently stopped carrying any kind of quality DIY materials... Huh
July 15th, 02009: Much progress was made today on clearing out my future laboratory, yet there is a ways to go still.
mr gilbert flint
Officer

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:20:58 pm »

good evening all.i am currently working nights so have trouble with my own little projects.as usual i am working with no budget so my stuff gets done when i can.i currently have a single shot pistol model that i am making from scrapmore of a room clearer than a target pistol. breathing appuratus for mars as inspired by one of the posts on live journal and then on this site. unfortunately looking at the high quality of building that goes on on this site i will have to start again.i have an idea for a steam powered gatling gun that should be fairly simple.and my all time most wanted to do project ever is an electric powered pushbike made to look like an early steam powered motorcycle with a copper flat tank(but that will have to wait till money gets saved).so i will now get back to the grind

MORE STEAM TO YOUR ELBOWS ONE AND ALL.

I'M THE DANDY SKYWAY MAN(almost adam and the ants)
member of the P.I.R.A.T.E.S council
Jake von Slatt
Officer

Brunelian Contraptor

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:40:24 pm »

The center part isn't really violet but incandescent orange as you would expect. I always gets these strange colours whenever I try to photograph working valves.

Digital cameras have an extended range of sensitivity compared to the human eye.  They have IR filters over the CCDs to block infrared, but violet and some non-visible UV will show in pictures where it was not visible to thenaked  eye.

I have this trouble every year when I try to get good shots of our Hallowe'ew decorations.

J.

The Industrial Revolution . . . This time it's personal.
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:47:33 pm »

Digital cameras have an extended range of sensitivity compared to the human eye.  They have IR filters over the CCDs to block infrared, but violet and some non-visible UV will show in pictures where it was not visible to thenaked  eye.

Now that makes perfect sense Mr. vonSlatt, why didn't I think of that? Grin Maybe I can find a way around the problem now I know what is causing it.

So what are you up to these days? Taking a bit of a breater and enjoying a well finished job? (One suspects abuse of Altoids tins...  Wink )

C.S.
hannas_kiwi
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:54:14 pm »

I am collecting materials for my next project: a shape memory alloy elbow actuator study.  I've found a ball joint that will suit me, and am awaiting pricing from the manufacturer.  I've started to calculate thicknesses and angles, as well choose hardware sizes.  My current conundrum is how to best limit supination to ~85 degrees and pronation to ~70 degrees.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:55:54 pm by hannas_kiwi » Logged
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:56:49 pm »

unfortunately looking at the high quality of building that goes on on this site i will have to start again.

No you won't. Wink I intend to post my fabrications regardless of the fit and finish of the end result, and given that I am not a pro fabricator/craftsman, I doubt my handiwork will be fantastic by most people's standard. That should give you something to work down to.  Cheesy

Please keep in mind that much of what you see on here are one off pieces made by individuals with machine shops and years of experience. Much of what they do can be done in a smaller scale by us mere mortals as well, we just have to invest a bit more time and patience into the process.

All this just IMHO. Smiley

C.S.
heresyoftruth
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 12:12:38 am »

I am working on nothing so grand as the rest of you, in all likelihood. I am finishing up a pair of converted welding goggles this week, into sunglasses. I have just two more bits to add to the whole, and I will post up an Instructable, and link it here as I get around to it. I have never owned a pair of goggles before, and had been looking into making some from scratch since January. Converting welding goggles made it all much faster.

I am going in for a tonsillectomy on Wednesday, and the nervous energy is propelling me through cleaning out my entire project workspace as well. I even started a new small decoration for the wall with copper wire soldered onto a bright wooden base with odds and ends from my brass bits drawer. Mostly, I am just fiddling. I am also sorting all my sewing patterns, and have found of dozens upon dozens of patterns I have, I have nothing remotely close to a good vest pattern. That will have to be rectified.

There might be a tapering off, but for me, I am more inspired by exposure to other folks work. That will always drive me to further projects. I am sure my productivity will taper off when I don't have as much nervous energy to burn.

Nothing hides evidence like a stew. -Gus Pratt
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 12:18:42 am »

Thanks to this lovely forum I am now in earnist learning how to machine steampunk objects for real world use, working on a real life steampunk wardrobe, and apparently organizing a regular meet up in the LA area.. 

By the Cogs!!!  (had to try that one out.)

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 01:01:47 am »

At this precise moment I'm at work not working.  Or I should say I'm working on much more important matters, sifting through historical works of the Victorian period and a delicious book criticizing the criticisms of Victorian life by others.

I wouldn't worry about the apparent slowing of the board.  I rather think it is more of a leveling of after an initial burst of activity than a drop.  We've just needed to find our pace.

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
Enoch Tremaine
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 02:44:46 am »

Giving the breadth of threads and the mere abundancy thereof, I'm still a bit amazed that it has only been a week...since I came along right around Humpday as only a Capricorn could.  As for self, I've been reading and chasing down elusive links into an oddily bizarre yet comfortable world.  To say 'I had no freakin idea...' would be putting it lightly.
Jake von Slatt
Officer

Brunelian Contraptor

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 03:55:51 am »

So what are you up to these days? Taking a bit of a breather and enjoying a well finished job? (One suspects abuse of Altoids tins...  Wink )

C.S.

Well, as they say there is no rest for the wicked. And I have been very, very, wicked.  To the tune of more then five pounds gained since I broke my bicycle in late December! 

The manufacturer of this fine stead was quite sympathetic when I called to arrange for a repair.  You see the frame had broken and though I remembered some sort of guarantee I was quite pleasantly surprised when the owner of the factory (Fast Freddie Markham hisself !) said he'd ship me a new frame for a bicycle I purchased in 1992 !

So this weekend I will be putting her back together and hope to be turning in my usually 120 miles a week very soon!

I also hope to get a start on my next project this weekend, I can't say exactly was it is, but it involves . . . . . . brass!

Cheers!

J.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 03:58:18 am by vonSlatt » Logged
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 04:14:06 am »

Funny, I'm working on a very similar cane. I hope to be finished in another week or two, I'm just trying to squeeze it in alongside some web design work, packing up all my books (there are a lot), trying to finish the restoration of a 72 cadillac at work, and a few other projects.

Can't wait to see yours. The radio tube idea is great!

I wouldn't worry about the boards. They've just levelled out a bit. It'll continue to grow exponentially, I'm sure.

-~Doc~-

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
Julius P Shearwind
Officer

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 04:49:29 am »

Mr. Sulphate I dream of having your motiviation. Having gotten so much done so soon after the idea conception is unheard of in my workshop. Embarrassed
Vermilion
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 06:34:52 am »

making more jewelry and working on designs for a steam punk style lamp for my home
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 10:08:15 am »

Dear all,

I am actually surprised that this place has only been around a week.  I just happened upon it about 4 days ago and you all seemed to have relationships built etc., I thought this had been around for AGES.

Being in a temporary living establishment in Germany with the knowledge that I will soon move to LA, my projects are slim to none.  Mostly issues of research and reading.  (I finished the entire sherlock holmes collection last night and am moving to Poe today)

And although you see that there has been a slump, I literally woke up this morning, reached for my laptop and turned it on and saw that last night there had been a BUZZ of activity.

I would much rather people post when they have something to say than to post with nothing.  It is quality not quantity that should be the goal here.

just a thought....

oh, and just a note... I am running into issues with the spellcheck function here on OSX, anyone else experiencing this issue?

-P

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Tinker
Snr. Officer

Edisonade adventurer and maker of gadgets.

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 10:41:44 am »

Ended up working some long shifts this week, which delayed some of my own projects. 

Currently working on a reproduction saxon helmet.  Got all the pieces cut out, and ready to be forged and riveted.  Just waiting on time, mostly. 

Doing some early design work on a compressed air deuling pistol, inspired by the dueling thread.  Hoping to start making the air tank (the daunting/dangerous part so I'm doing it first) sometime late this weekend.  Now I just need to figure out how to mold my own paintballs, full of molybdnum bearing grease, the better to mark up some dandies lace and silk.  For those who've never repacked a bearing, moly grease is about the nastiest, stickiest, most impossible to clean off one's hands substance in existance.  Even 'go-jo' barely seems to touch it.

Keeping my wife well supplied with maille rings to knit.

Getting ready to teach a class this coming tuesday on the construction and use of medieval ropemaking tools.  Perhaps I'll take some photos:  the tools used up until the turn of the century used the same basic principle, and I can make a real good case relating the rise of ropemaking to the rise of the british empire.
Yay british empire!

Andrew the Tinker

phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 03:33:51 pm »

I'm almost finished with the Dagurreotype camera, and have done a couple of images. Getting them to stick around is proving tricky. Pics soon.
WisconsinPlatt
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 01:59:23 am »

Installed my microwave vent hood and under the cabinet lighting...but I had a very Steampunk attitude doing it.

And I went and looked at goggles but found none in person I was happy with so went and bid on a set of THREE just to make my self feel better.  Now I'm not sure if I wan to win auction or not...

Other than that, I am scheming on building up a new server for the house with an Steam-Punky kinda way
teawithsteph
Officer

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 07:08:34 am »

I will totally confess to being very interested in Victoriana but then again that is partly what directly led to my interest in Steampunk.

I am very much enjoying the Steampunk Forum, it is so nice to be connected with people that I read about but am not in other groups with.

Well now I have been in the past week: Drinking Tea, doing simple exercises, finally completely over the flu, taking care of a child with viral pneumonia, doing a bit of gardening, did some painting and finishing of various projects in preparation to clear off my work table, and a ton of stuff I can't recall at the moment.
Kabuki
Snr. Officer

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 07:57:44 am »

Ha!  Forum drama is correct, sir!  I love this place, though...  I don't feel quite steamy enough sometimes, but I'm getting there.  Anyway...

Doing some early design work on a compressed air deuling pistol, inspired by the dueling thread.  Hoping to start making the air tank (the daunting/dangerous part so I'm doing it first) sometime late this weekend.

Hey, Tinker, this might help...  The 1986-1990 Acura Legends were available with Antilock Brakes.  The Accumulator unit is a beautiful, golden, zinc coated sphere, capable of holding a nitrogen charge at 1500PSI.  They are about the size of my fist, which I do realize is slightly subjective, given the lack of familiarity.  Check one out a junk yard.  Newer (90s) units are also possible, but they are a cylindrical tank.

So my projects have progressed a bit this week, and I've decided to begin construction of a walking stick.  Y'all will probably laugh, but I'm using a $6 tapered balaster I purchased at Lowes, and one of the old mortised lockset door knobs I found in my house.  I'll post pics when it's done.  I've also scrounged all of the bricks I need to build my forge.  Though if my wife asks, please refer to it as the "barbecue pit", or she'll be confused.

The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 08:47:43 am »

I have had to split this thread and the 'missing' posts can now be found over in Metaphysical.

Please keep this thread reasonably on topic.  Smiley
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 12:48:48 pm »

good call.

that guy was mildly upset about something.
Tinker
Snr. Officer

Edisonade adventurer and maker of gadgets.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 07:34:48 am »

Hey, Tinker, this might help...  The 1986-1990 Acura Legends were available with Antilock Brakes.  The Accumulator unit is a beautiful, golden, zinc coated sphere, capable of holding a nitrogen charge at 1500PSI.  They are about the size of my fist, which I do realize is slightly subjective, given the lack of familiarity.  Check one out a junk yard.  Newer (90s) units are also possible, but they are a cylindrical tank.

Thanks.  I'm currently working on raising a couple of flanged four inch hemispheres out of 1/16th inch plate, but it's going really slowly.  Much easier to work with larger plates.  At this small scale, I have to anneal after every pass.  I like the idea of riveting them together, and it'll give the right look, but that's only good if it works.  1500 PSI would be quite a safety factor as well.  I'm using Girandoni's valve configuration, more or less, and that's good to 500 PSI, which is still a lot of air.

A.
Mad Salvager
Officer

If it's not Heavy, we don't Want it

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 08:29:47 am »

I've been absolutely inspired by all and am actively incubating turning a 1977 Kawasaki 650 motorcycle into a fully functional steampunk inspired vehicular modulation (everything I put on it will have a purpose, not just for show.) (Have not stopped drooling over those rims) It still will be a gas powered machine though. I hope it will be done by the end of summer, the aerial balloon mechanism is giving me some grief.

Thanks all for the creative kick in my posterior.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: