The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 02:03:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk "Day of the Dead" Altar and Sugar Skulls  (Read 8947 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 12:55:06 pm »

Good morning,ladies and gentlemen.
I'm glad this thread was revived! What a splendid kraken!

El Día de los muertos is celebrated in Madrid, thanks to the Mexican embassy and the Instituto Cervantes.
Just to show how things change, look over the Facebook event
 https://www.facebook.com/events/939911909422040/

You'll see this group has even planned to have tea duelling, inspired by our example in Steampunk Madrid.
But Mexican style, which should be interesting.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Aha! I see they're using pan de muerto instead of biscuits for the tea dueling. Very clever twist! Love the giant skulls in the plaza; I had to look close, because initially I thought they were mobile units in a parade (which would be even more awesome).

Thanks, la professora, for the information; I had no idea the tradition had made its way to Spain.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 12:42:36 pm »

El Día de los muertos is celebrated in Madrid, thanks to the Mexican embassy and the Instituto Cervantes.

You'll see this group has even planned to have tea duelling, inspired by our example in Steampunk Madrid.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Aha! I see they're using pan de muerto instead of biscuits for the tea dueling. Very clever twist! Love the giant skulls in the plaza; I had to look close, because initially I thought they were mobile units in a parade (which would be even more awesome).

Thanks, la professora, for the information; I had no idea the tradition had made its way to Spain.

I would have thought that Orejas / Palmieres dunked in hot chocolate or Atole would make a suitable Mexican challenge.  The Atole challenge might be very difficult though.  A much easier challenge would be to use a hot tea made from Yerba Buena (Micromeria douglasii, a type of mint used in tea common in Mexico and the US Southwest), and for the Summer, iced Hibiscus tea (Agua de Jamaica).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atole
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:46:28 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 09:52:56 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Yes indeed! Dña Catrina is a very popular figure for absolutely splendid Halloween costuming in Spain.
https://www.google.es/search?q=the&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=kxU7Vr2GDInyaNrSi8gP#q=Do%C3%B1a+Catrina+costumes+images

Almost all the Mexican tascas and eateries and bars in Madrid had their own altar to the dead during the festivities, but the main one this year was in the Instituto de Cervantes.

Madrid is presently trying to catch its collective breath before the Yule season, celebrated from Christmas to Twelfth Night. Quite the marathon.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 05:58:15 am »

Happy Day of the Dead!

Good day Ladies and Gentlemen... Just reposting here for memory sake, and to remind you that the season is not entirely over! Today November 1 is the Day of the Dead according to ancient Mesoamerican tradition (conflated with Catholic beliefs).

Make sure to commune with the spirits of your dearly departed, and receive them well with food and drink offerings! The Day of the Dead diverges from the theme of scaring the evil spirits away (as in Samhain) and begging door to door (as in All Hallows Eve), and rather concentrates on a "relatives' visit" from the other world....

I remain yours
Adm. J. Wilhelm
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 05:54:54 pm »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=393035.0
has a video showing how to make sugar skulls.  I got the meringue powder and the molds, then watched the video and learned that the skulls don't hold together well if the weather is humid or rainy.

I live in the tropics, it's ALWAYS humid and rainy. 

But I could probably use the molds for ceramic, air-dry, or oven-fired clays.  Or food.  Skull gelatin molds?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 07:10:47 pm »

But I could probably use the molds for ceramic, air-dry, or oven-fired clays.  Or food.  Skull gelatin molds?
Ooh - white chocolate truffles!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2016, 08:25:07 pm »

Happy Day of the Dead!

Good day Ladies and Gentlemen... Just reposting here for memory sake, and to remind you that the season is not entirely over! Today November 1 is the Day of the Dead according to ancient Mesoamerican tradition (conflated with Catholic beliefs).

Make sure to commune with the spirits of your dearly departed, and receive them well with food and drink offerings! The Day of the Dead diverges from the theme of scaring the evil spirits away (as in Samhain) and begging door to door (as in All Hallows Eve), and rather concentrates on a "relatives' visit" from the other world....

I remain yours
Adm. J. Wilhelm

Straight back at you  - Happy Day of the Dead! We're going to mark it by watching The Book of Life again (something to appease our youngest who's a bit grumpy now all the fun and games of Halloween are passed).

Ooh - white chocolate truffles!

Sounds mighty fine to me - with dark chocolate for the eyes, nose and mouth? Actually, our youngest has just been reading about marzipan skulls in a Halloween craft book bought over the weekend. So, next year - we must make time to make sugar, chocolate and marzipan skulls.

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:30:30 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: