The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 07:10:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: attaching leather to metal?  (Read 3290 times)
dteigue
Gunner
United States United States

« on: October 27, 2010, 04:58:20 am »

I am currently attempting to make my own goggles and I was just wondering how to go about attaching the leather eye cups to the metal. Does anyone have any advice for this? Thank you in advance Smiley
Punkables
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:15:27 am »

rivet or possibly stitch?

jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:17:53 pm »

rivets, stitching, or teeny tiny crabs... lots of them, trained to hold the leather in place with their claws...

Grin

rivets: big holes, but fewer of them
stitching: small holes, but a whole bunch of them... and you got to be good at sticking your finger with a needle...

dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:13:15 pm »

haha, as much fun as it sounds to attempt to train teeny tiny crabs, I think that I shall go with the rivets.
Thanks to both of you  Grin
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Corporal Grease - Her Majesty's Own Mars Engineers

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:41:03 pm »

haha, as much fun as it sounds to attempt to train teeny tiny crabs, I think that I shall go with the rivets.

No, you train one of them and the rest learn by their hive mind.  It is a standard technique in leather-cum-metal working circles.  I'd advice mini-trained octopuses.  You only need 25% of the number and so they end up more economical.

If you go down the sewing route.  Don't even try with anything but a leather needle.  Drill holes in the metal, use an awl to make matching holes in the leather and then sew through the holes.
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:02:03 pm »

If the connection point is on the outside then attaching a buckle or rectangular ring to the metal and then attaching the leather to that might be the best way as that's going to put the least stress on the leather to the attachment point. It also makes it easier to replace the strap in the even of wear or damage. It also gives you the opportunity to allow the strap to swivel at the mounting point which should help it to fit better.

Otherwise rivets are the next best solution, although they should be used with washers so that you're clamping the leather to the goggles rather than putting all the load on the hole.

If you do decide to stitch it then make sure that the holes are thoroughly de-burred or you'll wear through the thread very quickly.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 09:37:30 pm »

I generally use either stitching or small pan-head machine screws (brass or steel to taste) with nuts and washers. Mechanically, there is little difference between these and rivets, but they are easier to disassemble if that becomes necessary, they come in quite small sizes, and I often like the appearance of a bunch of little machine screws against the metal and leather, purely as a quirk of personal taste.
dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 12:26:53 am »

I generally use either stitching or small pan-head machine screws (brass or steel to taste) with nuts and washers. Mechanically, there is little difference between these and rivets, but they are easier to disassemble if that becomes necessary, they come in quite small sizes, and I often like the appearance of a bunch of little machine screws against the metal and leather, purely as a quirk of personal taste.

That is a good idea. I am rather fond of the look of screws.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.  Smiley
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 06:32:43 am »

No, you train one of them and the rest learn by their hive mind.  It is a standard technique in leather-cum-metal working circles.  I'd advice mini-trained octopuses.  You only need 25% of the number and so they end up more economical.

If you go down the sewing route.  Don't even try with anything but a leather needle.  Drill holes in the metal, use an awl to make matching holes in the leather and then sew through the holes.
Actually, I have some crabs that learned from watching videos on youtube...whats this about a hive mind?

This thread helped me also, i will add this to my notes so that, in the near(ish) future, when I make my goggles, I will have less research to do and more destruction!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: