The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:36:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English to latin translation help  (Read 713 times)
ADyrnes
Deck Hand
Norway Norway

« on: October 22, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »

Hello!
I have been writing on a lyric lately, and I want a part of it to be in latin, as I am very facinated by the language. Unfortunately I have never gotten an opportunity to learn it, just know a tiny bit I've been able to learn of the internet. So I was wondering; are there anyone who know latin fairly well, that would like to do the translation for me? That would be great ; )

Thanks,
ADyrnes
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »

There a couple of books by Henry Beard which translate common modern phrases into Latin (eg Transmitte me sursum Caledoni - "Beam me up Scotty").  Apart from being very funny, they are full of useful information, so they may be of some help.  I don't know what you wish to translate, sometimes "fake" Latin is useful, depending on how serious the context is.  Such as Machina Differencius Babbagensis.

Have fun!
ADyrnes
Deck Hand
Norway Norway

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:09 pm »

Hey, thanks mate. I might look into that book, could be good to learn from as well. It's a fairly serious lyric, so I don't think the fake latin would be that good, or I guess it might work as a contrast Wink
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:07:15 pm »

Post the line you need and I am sure you will get three different approaches, followed by a reasoned discussion of the merits of each offering, a commentary and then a conclusion from the speakers here.

For my part, I haven't used it for about a decade and the last time I really used it was trying to chat up a Swedish girl who spoke no English.  Of all the languages to have in common...  drew a few interested stares, I can tell you. 

Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.
ADyrnes
Deck Hand
Norway Norway

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:35:03 pm »

Thanks mate, yeah I believe people would have lokked at you a bit funny Wink

Here is the vers I would like translated, hope for a as direct translation as possible, but if you change anything a bit when you translate, just let me know what you changed and to what:

People dying of hunger.
Death-numbers rising every day.
We are to blame,
we should stand trial,
we should be shot,
for all this
disruption, destruction
and devastation of wonderful creation.
‘Cause we killed the economy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: