The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 21, 2014, 03:00:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official Facebook page: Brass Goggles

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beamish Museum Christmas Fair - with ice skating !  (Read 4190 times)
Fee
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 20, 2010, 11:07:12 pm »

Beamish Museum (County Durham) is once again having an Edwardian Christmas Fair and a number of people from the Bolton/Embsay trip last weekend expressed an interest in going.  So, here is the tentative plan:

Date:  Sunday 5th December
Time:  10.30am
Place:  Beamish entrance (ticket hall)

As the weather is probably going to be a little too nippy for a punknic in the park I suggest we make use of the tea room, there is also a pub for liquid refreshment should the need arise.  Also for the first time this year they have an ice rink, which will provide us with an opportunity to show off our grace and elegance.......

Over the Winter season the Museum is not actually fully open, the Edwardian Fair centres on the Town, Pit Village & Tramway only, with appropriately reduced admission charges.  Link to the website is here:

http://www.beamish.org.uk/Plan_a_Visit/Events_Programme/Christmas_at_Beamish.aspx

Septabarius Cogge has previously organised a trip to Beamish so is currently looking into logistics with the Museum.  Last time we did have to wear 'visitor' badges so we didn't 'confuse' other visitors Wink and I believe he also managed to organise group discount, but this will obviously depend on numbers attending.

Leave a message if you are interested in joining us.

Thanks,  Fee    Grin
marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

I believe because it is absurb.

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:40 pm »

Well you can count Susanne and I in for this one along with the coglings in tow.Havent been ice skating in years that should be a real hoot .
Tranzient Gallery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:39:07 pm »

well I have been looking at vintage ice skates..... which would mean that i really fancy falling on my posterior causing great amusement to everybody present lol 
I haven't been skating in years and I wasn't the most graceful then.  Grin

Lord Miles Harrington
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:22:36 pm »

This sounds good but for many years we wanted to go to Robin Hoods Bay Victorian weekend and we are or where planning to go this year. So decisions decisions we will have to have a think.

Miles.

Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 02:03:14 pm »

Still waiting to hear back from Beamish. Unfortunately, the person I dealt with last time is on maternity leave, so it's sort of back to square one.

We need at least 15 people to get a group discount, although last time we didn't quite get the number I'd booked for - they still honoured the group discount, however. I've nothing but praise for the staff at the museum; they were all welcoming and friendly.
Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »

Preliminary response from Beamish is positive, but the chap did ask to see what we looked like. I suspect he's probably worried that we're a bunch of hooligans :-)
marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 10:12:29 pm »

When he asked what we looked like generally humaniod in apperance springs to mind .
Callidwyn
Officer

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 06:36:26 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. Will have to see if we are likely to have any plans for then, especially as it's the weekend after my 18th birthday! I'd also have to look out a suitable outfit, hmm...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:39:21 pm by Callidwyn » Logged
geordie
Inactive Users
Swab

England England

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:43:21 pm »

I CANT WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS AT BEAMISH I BE GOING REGULAR WITH MY BEAMISH YEARLY CARD. cAN'T WAIT.  I LOVE BEAMISH
The Governess
Zeppelin Overlord
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:51:12 pm »

wish I could go. Why is everything either up north or down south...Sad

Please post some skating (falling?) photos...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
Lord Nicholas Horsethorn
Snr. Officer

Anomalographer Royal

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 10:47:50 pm »

The Wild Wolds pair are interested in attending!

PS Embsay photos are up on fb

Lord Nick
Tranzient Gallery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 11:26:29 pm »

im liking the embsay photos a lot  Grin 

as for photos us us falling over on the ice im sure there will be many (both falls and photos)!!!
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 01:22:02 am »

Depending on money and how easy it is to get from a East Coast station (its not far by train down to Newcastle), I would be interested.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
Mnemoria
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 12:07:44 pm »

Depending on money and how easy it is to get from a East Coast station (its not far by train down to Newcastle), I would be interested.

There is an hourly direct service leaving Newcastle at two minutes to the hour. Approximately ten minutes walk from the Newcastle rail station. The direct service is 37 minutes to the main entrance at Beamish and should cost no more than £3.70 return. (This being the return fare to Chester le Street, the ultimate destination of that route.
The website http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe?d=Beamish%20Museum may be useful.

Alternatively, it may be that someone travelling from Newcastle or further North may be able to offer transport from the station.
I would have done so, however I have been unable to rearrange a work commitment from that weekend.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 03:19:19 pm »

I know that there is a bus but it being a Sunday I wan't sure if it ran.
Mnemoria
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 04:58:54 pm »

I know that there is a bus but it being a Sunday I wan't sure if it ran.

The timings in my previous post are for that Sunday.
My concern (and reason for checking) was that it is both a Sunday and "Out of Season" both factors that may have complicated the matter.
Indeed there is a seasonal bus from Durham, that appears to run between Easter and the end of September and therefore of no use on this occasion.
Tranzient Gallery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 01:19:52 pm »

Im a bit upset... I have picked up some very very nice vintage Bally ice skates with a mind to be able to skate in style but they are just toooo tight  :'(
they are meant to be a size 7 but more likely a modern size 6 - 6 1/2 narrow fit. If any of you are interested pm me before i list them back up on ebay.   
Fee
Officer

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 10:46:59 am »

Lady Asprin, I may be able to help with a lift from a convenient Metro Station as I'm coming down from Norhtumberland.  Let me check which would be easiest.

Wez, they are fantastic, and I'm a size 6!!  However, I have wide feet so they very probably would not fit  Cry
Zuzu
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 11:00:57 am »

wish I could go. Why is everything either up north or down south...Sad

Please post some skating (falling?) photos...

I was thinking its a bit south LOL...

it sounds wonderful and we have a car but as yet neither my husband or I have costumes (newbie)  so I fear we would stand out like a sore thumb...or sore thumbS as there are two of us...  I am going to ask him about it though and maybe we can attend on our own and find you all... I think its the kind of drive that can be done in a day in the interests of fun... love steampunk.. love christmas.. love Beamish so whats to not love about this event...

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 03:31:00 pm »

Dont worry about not having the right clothes Zuzu its not that important you will be made just as welcome.l .It matters not one bit Looking forward to seeing you there Marcus
Zuzu
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 05:05:53 pm »

Mike has his "Sherlock Holmes" outfit  lol if worst comes to worst he can come in his deerstalker hehe

i will discuss it tonight and add our names if hes in the affirmative by tomorrow night ...
Zuzu
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 06:20:39 pm »

That is an affirmative from us.. so if you are doing a group booking two of us will be attending... please let me know whats needed regarding deposits etc...

ooo my first meet in the diary.. thrilling... at least we both have goggles.. thats a good start lol
Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 11:48:12 pm »

Just got back from a week away, but no further reply from the man at Beamish.

Beamish need a minimum of 15 to make a group booking, but last time I did this, they didn't ask for money up front. If advance payment is required I'll let everyone know.
Fee
Officer

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 01:06:26 pm »

Apologies for my silence but I've been unable to access BG for a few days now, was beginning to worry....

Zuzu, can I just second Marcus Cudworth and say you are very welcome, with or without Steampunk attire.  The more the merrier!  But as pennance you do have to complete a full circuit of the ice rink holding a cup of tea and without holding onto the sides or falling down  Wink

Still no reply from Beamish but Mr Cogge will be chasing this week.

As an addendum, to my original message we are looking into borrowing a room so we can have an indoor punknic.  It'll not be very steampunk but having used it in the past it is perfectly adequate (even has table and chairs) and is in the centre of the Old Town.

Hopefully we'll have more info come the weekend.

Looking forward to this.  A lot.    Grin
Zuzu
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 02:38:49 am »

we will be semi punked I think.. vague hints at almost an effort LOL.. and an indoor punknick sounds fun and economical after £70 of petrol LOL

i will stay tuned to this thread for updates...

( I couldnt get in for days either... thought my steampunk forum days had come to an abrupt end )

(edited to add)
I have now been offered a place at a victorian christmas market on that weekend. I had been trying to get a place but they were fully booked... my friend has had to pull out so is giving me her spot.
Its much needed earnings so I have to bow out of my first meeting. earning is more important than spending this close to Christmas.

Sorry.   Undecided
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:55:57 am by Zuzu » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: