The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:59:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two questions about my Elgin  (Read 1459 times)
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« on: October 14, 2010, 02:26:41 am »

First off... jeans.  It's widely held that the small fifth pocket was intended for pocket watches and most info on the net says a pocket watch should be carried there.  But I've seen one or two dissenting opinions that say putting your watch there can break the stem.  Any opinions on this?

Second is slightly more technical.... my watch tends to run just a tiny bit fast.  Over a period of 6 hours or so, it will gain 2-3 minutes.  On the movement I know there is an adjustment bar but I'm afraid to mess with it.  Do I just physically move it to adjust the timing? Or is there a screw that needs turning?

nevermind on this bit, found the answer on the Elgin collectors site.

But still would like to know what you guys think about wearing a pocket watch in the 5th pocket on jeans.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 02:42:57 am by SolarCenturion » Logged

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
watch_guy
Deck Hand

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 03:58:55 am »

I've been carrying watches in the 5th pocket of my jeans for years, and have never run into a broken stem. In fact, in as much time repairing pocket watches, I've only seen one broken stem period, and that was due to years of rust that caused the threads of the crown to seize(the stem broke when I removed the crown-not something that's normally done).

If the bow is loose/worn, and the watch pocket is tight, I've seen the bow pulled off occasionally. The solution to this is to, first of all, buy jeans on which the pocket is plenty big(take a watch with you to try when shopping), and then to grab the watch by the pendant itself rather than the bow(good practice in general). A watchmaker can also tighten up the bow easily through the use of a pair of bow pliers-I do this on most watches I service.

In short, in my opinion, it's simply not an issue.

If your watch is gaining 2-3 minutes in 6 hours, it's badly in need of service(if not more). Normally the rate variation between extremes of the regulator is somewhere between 2 and 5 minutes a day. The regulator is properly used to adjust the watch to account for the user's wearing habits. It should be used to change the rate by seconds a day or even week, not minutes a day.
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22:06 am »

Yes, I don't doubt it needs service. It sat in a glass jar for the first 20 years of my life and then hung a nail by it's chain for the second 20. God only knows how long it sat in that jar before the first time I ever saw it. Considering my father knew nothing about the proper care and service of watches and, in fact, believed the watch to be broken... I'm reasonably certain my grandfather didn't know anything either. So it would not be a stretch to think it's never been serviced since it's original purchase.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »

Most jean pockets are a bit tight for 18s or even 16s pocket watches.  The risks (if the pocket is too tight) is that when you try to pull it out, you'll bend/break the bow.  You shouldn't be pulling it out by the crown itself (if you are, and it's a stem set, odds are you're going to pull out the crown and accidentally set the time.  That's one of the reasons why railroad watches had to be lever set.)

In theory, if you pull on the crown enough, you'll damage the stem or the sleeve, but it would need to be really tight for that to happen.  Bending the bow is likely the worst thing that'll happen.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
watch_guy
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:18:51 am »

Most jean pockets are a bit tight for 18s or even 16s pocket watches. 

There again it comes down to shopping around and trying.

I have some in which a 12 size is a tight fit.

Anymore, I shop specifically with a PW in mind(since I wear one almost every day). I've managed to find several(from different brands) with cavernous watch pockets in which a standard 18 size is no trouble. Even my heavy 5 and 6 oz silver cases(which rarely get worn) fit with no trouble.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: