The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 12:19:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Association for Cryptozoological and Metaphysical Enlightenment or ACME  (Read 2478 times)
Lord Alacritas
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: October 11, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »

I was inspired by Sepiachord's thunderbird thread to create a more broad thread devoted to the discussion of Cryptozoological and Metaphysical anomaly (I do not intend to step on the toes of the occult society).
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »

With an acronym like ACME, I can't help thinking that this is about dangerous gadgets of the rocket-powered-roller-skates variety. But this probably reflects more on me than on your idea.
Everett R.I. Krowley, III
Snr. Officer

Federal Bountyhunter and Investigations Agent

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:57:02 am »

I'm very interested in this! ^_^  I've long loved cryptozoology

as for the dangerous gadgets and all... considering some of the stuff I've seen on the board... *laugh*
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:48:59 pm »

Don't bother the bunyips.  Please. They are quite shy as it is and if you all start poking about their habitats I am afraid I will never get a good set of observations (or a specimen).

You can tease the tazelwurmen as much as you woudl like, though.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:14:50 pm »

Cryptozoology is definatly a really serious thing. After all, not nearly all creatures on this planet (or any other planet for that matter) is known to mankind. For years they thaught white rino's were a myth.
They still haven't found Nessie, but they also haven't NOT found her. Same goes for Bigfoot. There is the Patterson-Gimlin tape but it's still undescided if it's real or not.
Makes you think.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Lothar Erfinder
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »

If I may recommend a book for enthusiasts of cryptozoolgy, Willy Ley's Exotic Zoology. He's written some other books on "Romantic Zoology", but it's the only one I've read. Some of Charles FOrt's work might also be of interest.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 04:12:11 am »

I agree, its VERY serious... just... Crytozoologists get labeled crazy monster hunters because... well... the most well known cryptids are also known/seen as monsters

Nessie, bigfoot, Mbele.. Mo... >.> the sauropod-like beast in Africa
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:44:43 am »

I agree, its VERY serious... just... Crytozoologists get labeled crazy monster hunters because... well... the most well known cryptids are also known/seen as monsters

Nessie, bigfoot, Mbele.. Mo... >.> the sauropod-like beast in Africa

Mokèlé-mbèmbé, meaning "one who stops the flow of rivers"

Unfortinutely, Cryptozooligists often get blocked by all kinds of people from locals to governments who don't want the myth to be busted. Imagine Nessie being discovered. Tourism will never be the same at Lochness. Huge appartements along the chore, the loch couvered with boats. And if Nessie is found, the whole world would want "a peice".
On the other hand, if the myth is busted, the lochness area will lose most of there income.
I think there should be a global organisation that supports these things. Like a fund, giving money to myths that are busted from the profit of the myths that are confirmed.
Coming back to Nessie: I think there is only one way to find out if the myth is real. Drain the lake, look for the lochness monsters (If there is a Nessie, there has to be more) and put the water back in the lake. Untill then it's just not scientifictly proven. No one would do that, eaven if they could, because of the damage to the local nature it would bring and also to Nessie.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:51:28 am »

I think everyone has had that idea.  to drain the loch

In middle school (6-7-8th grades) I once dreamed of building a submarine for the express purpose of going into the loch
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 10:44:15 am »

I sort of remember there supposingly being a few mega-mamals surviving in Siberia. Dire wolves, cave bears and perhaps mamoths.
 As far as A.C.M.E. goes, I wonder what Bigfoot's rocket-skates would look like....? Would the Yeti use rocket powered ice-skates?

"A.C.M.E., we add rockets to everything!" (old tag line from cartoon network)

Arvis

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 06:28:36 pm »

I have a theory that the reason so few Sasquatch are seen, and no remains are found, is that they have all migrated from the western forests into the technological strip that runs down the west coast of the North American continent. Sasquatch country begins just a short distance northwards and inland from the Bay Area, and runs up through the Pacific Northwest into British Columbia. I suspect that many of those big bearded dudes that tend to hold down sysadmin jobs everywhere out here are, in fact, cunningly disguised Sasquatch. It explains so much, including the predilection for Birkenstock and Teva sandals, the beards, the frequent preference for email over actual speech...
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:03 am »

that is, perhaps, the most amazing theory I've heard XD
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 07:23:17 am »

that is, perhaps, the most amazing theory I've heard XD
Makes perfect sence. It also explains the body odor. Grin
Many bikers also fit the discription, also dockworkers, bouncers, mother-in-laws.
Maybe we've seen more Sasquatch then we know.
I say:"myth confirmed"!
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 07:31:59 am »

eeeh... I'd say Myth Plausible on this one.  only because such people can be considreing human evolutionary throwbacks... or at the least curveballs
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 09:14:31 am »

All jokes aside. So where do we start and what do we need? Bigfoot, Nessie, Kraken? Cameras, hiking equiptment, vehicles?
I still think we should solve the problem mentioned earlier about:"what if we find it?"
Does anyone know how it works with treasures? Does the finder gets to say who gets the artifact and for what price? Or is there a contract before they start looking?
Also, do we capture the specimen on film or physicaly capture it?
I think these are questions to be answered and documented before we start.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:20:59 am »

I am of the mind that as long as I and those important to me knows it exists and I have irrefutable proof that it does, that's fine for me.

If we find Nessie, Bigfoot, etc etc... and we release said irrefutable proof to the world... then all sorts of nasty things will happen.  People will descend wanting to study or worse... to trophy

also, wouldn't the Kraken have already been discovered?  The Giant Squid or Colossal Squid... or do you believe it is something else?  Bigger?  Different species?
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 10:00:27 am »

I am of the mind that as long as I and those important to me knows it exists and I have irrefutable proof that it does, that's fine for me.

If we find Nessie, Bigfoot, etc etc... and we release said irrefutable proof to the world... then all sorts of nasty things will happen.  People will descend wanting to study or worse... to trophy

also, wouldn't the Kraken have already been discovered?  The Giant Squid or Colossal Squid... or do you believe it is something else?  Bigger?  Different species?

Knowing something exist (scientificaly proven) is enough for me to.
I also think people want more to know, that's human nature I guess. Therefore there should be a scenario present, discribing what should happen "if". For positive and negative findings.
For instance: To what extent are tourists alowed? Who is alowed to study? Who's responsible and caretaker?
I'm thinking about something like whalewatching. They have rules and guidelines for that to. Same goes for safari (the picture taking kind, not shooting and killing) A natural park created at the new species habitat is also a possibility.

you're right about the kraken, but is the Giant Squid the same as the ship-attacking, sailor-eating kraken? I believe that they are the same. People just exadurated not about the size but the nature of the Giant Squid. Seeing a huge monster like that immediatly assumes that it is evil. For all we know the Giant Squid is a gentle giant.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 10:07:15 am »

true.  The size of the Kraken and the Giant Squid... I THINK they might be off as the Kraken is, as one can guess, described as VERY large, so it may very well be even larger than the Giant and Colossal.  Does that mean its just a mutant-large member of one of those two (for that matter is the Giant just a adolescent Colossal, or is even the Colossal just an overgrown specimen of Giant?)

Could the Kraken be just the "basketball player" of the Squid world?

Scenarios are a good thing.  Problem is... they can't ever be made third-party objective.  I mean think about it, these are "our" scenarios, as if we went out as a group and did indeed find something, they would be OUR plans... and these plans are skewed towards OUR beliefs and predilections  about what should be done for/with/etc these creatures.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 11:21:14 am »

Whilst searching for a news bit I remember seeing about fifteen years ago, I came across this page.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v21/i1/aborigines.asp

It's not quite what I was searching for but I'm cramped for time as I have to get to work soon. On the other hand it mentions an extinct form of tree wich is close to what I'm looking for since the news bit was about a whole "small" forest of dinosaur era plantlife! I remember seeing footage of the jungle/rainforest but in an effort to keep souvanier hunters and the general public out they were keeping the location of the forest a secret.

Arvis

EDIT: This seems to be close to what I was searching for.
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ASIANOW/australasia/12/15/australia.tree.reut/index.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:30:37 am by Arvis » Logged
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49:43 am »

For instance: To what extent are tourists alowed? Who is alowed to study? Who's responsible and caretaker?
I'm thinking about something like whalewatching. They have rules and guidelines for that to. Same goes for safari (the picture taking kind, not shooting and killing) A natural park created at the new species habitat is also a possibility.

Air Kraken and other crypto-species always appreciate it when tourists are around in their role as finger (er, tentacle) food.  markf
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 11:52:50 am »

One could argue that tourists increase a de-naturalization of the creatures natural habitat, which is detrimental if all we want is proof they exist.  I feel these creatures should be watched, studied from afar, they'd lived this long without human "help" why screw that up now
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 12:16:10 pm »

The lack of recent reports of kraken indicates one of two things to me:

1) they are a sensitive deep-water species who dislike the vibrations created by modern ship's engines and therefore rarely if ever come near the surface anymore.

or 2) they are a clever species who have learned to leave no witnesses.

I know which alternative I prefer.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »

One could argue that tourists increase a de-naturalization of the creatures natural habitat, which is detrimental if all we want is proof they exist.  I feel these creatures should be watched, studied from afar, they'd lived this long without human "help" why screw that up now

That's the sort of dialog needed for the Guidebook for Cryptozoological Investigation and Preservation. The lines bitween tourism/exploitation and preservation/extermination sounds very clear, but in practice it is often a gray area.
Is n't this the same as we humans do right now to whales? The western countries try to preserve and observe the whales, with a little tourism on the side. Some Asian countries hunt whales for there own profit. Who's right, who's wrong? There is always two (or more) sides to a story. I'm not saying that hunting for whales is right, but is trying to preserve the whales right?
One can speculate on how things would have to be arranged if we find a specimen like Nessie or Bigfoot, but one can not for certain know what's best for both mankind and specimen. We can only set up a guidebook in "humanity".
Something in the lines of:"Don't hurt or indanger the Crypto in any way. Attend help if only nessesery for the existence of the species. Preserve the habitat any way possible." But also, rules of extermination if a Crypto is threatening the existance of mankind.
But we can only make these rules after we've found a Nessie or Bigfoot. Then we can anticipate to the knowledge gathered. So it's like looking forward in hindsight.
It's like a circle: you need rules to encounter but you need an encounter to make the rules.
Now we can do two things:
1) sit still and don't do a thing. Nothing happens and nothing will be learned.
2) find a Crypto and see what happens. Always looking back at history to see where we went wrong with previous creatures.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 01:30:11 pm »

You're welcome lol

I personally would be against tourism, prefering a more Secret Saturdays or The Sanctuary slant to keeping cryptids.  Perhaps even so far as Warehouse 13 and Proof... that is bag it, tag it, move it to secure and hidden local
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 05:29:42 pm »

2) find a Crypto and see what happens. Always looking back at history to see where we went wrong with previous creatures.

Like what happened when we found out that Elephant birds were ever so tasty when stuffed with Do-Do dressing. Delicious yes!(but quite finate)
 This message should be sent across enemy lines, pass another pidgion please.

Arvis
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: