The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 04:47:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lord Darcy" omnibus 1983 edition by Randall Garrett  (Read 646 times)
Sepiachord
Zeppelin Admiral
Vatican City State Vatican City State

Time Traveling Ethno-Musicologist

sepiachord
« on: October 11, 2010, 07:23:16 am »

Just Read: "Lord Darcy" omnibus 1983 edition by Randall Garrett

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Darcy_%28character%29

I loved this collection.

The setting is an alternate Earth with magic and a long-standing English/French empire, anddespite the story years being the late 1960s/1970s, the overall technology level is Victorian (trains, revolvers, gaslights, but horse-drawn carriages).

What really makes me happy is that magic isn't a spoiler. These aren't tales of a detective solving a mystery merely by waving a magic wand, magic essentially replaces science in the field of forensics.

If you can find this collection (or the 2002 edition which includes 2 stories not in the version I've found) read it with all do haste, especially if you have a fondness for weird Victoriana.

(I haven't read the two Lord Darcy novels written by Michael Kurland after Garrett's passing but I do plan on keeping my eyes open for them.)
Shelley
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:30:37 am »

I read the Lord Darcy stories many years ago and have loved them.  I especially loved "Too Many Magicians." A locked room murder mystery where the magic isn't the cause.  Brilliant stories.
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:25:35 pm »

was recently reprinted by Baen Books in the U.S. circa 2002, so may be more  avalable now

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: