The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 09:55:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS) Crossovers?  (Read 31958 times)
Poppy Locks
Gunner
England England

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 09:40:40 pm »

I don't participate in SASS per se but I do post often to a board run by a few SASS ladies specifically to chat on costuming.

Ditto Wink And a very useful and entertaining forum it is too!

While I dont do SASS here in the UK I am interested in shooting and firearms and attend a yearly guest shoot at a gun club in the south.  I know they have an "End of Trail" type of event and do some SASS style shoots on an occasional basis.

Next years guest shoot falls on my birthday and so a couple of us have decided to dress for the occassion Wink  When it happens I'll try to share photos!!  Cheesy

Poppy

Grigori Storri
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »

Crossover Heck I did not know there was such a thing lol

Just found this forum and I have been working on my own version of steampunk/mountedSASS style shooting.

Built a motor bike from a Schwinn delmar cruiser and but an engine on it works great for me.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 02:06:23 pm »

Check out the guns in this vid:

$ Millions in Old Guns Found in PA Town! vol 1

:drools:

markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 02:20:51 pm »

Very nice find Aku.  I've been to a similar antique arms sale at the Maryland fairgrounds and seeing all that (mostly blackpower) stuff in the flesh is extremely impressive.  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 02:54:03 pm »

I have a lot of period handguns, including a Lemat, a Forehand & Wadsworth, some S&W "lemon-squeezers," various sizes of black powder Colts, half a dozen SAA in .45 LC, an 1887 Winchester lever shotgun, buffalo guns...the list goes on. One of my first acquisitions was a Harrington & Richardson break-frame revolver, five shot in .38 short. My latest purchase was a "Richards" double barrel shotgun circa 1870, unfortunately not Westley Richards, but a nice old black powder shell gun none the less.
I am a collector, though, not a re-enactor, so I don't participate in SASS events.

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 06:33:23 pm »

http://www.meetup.com/lvsteam/events/36553952/

Apparently there are SP classes and meetups at the SASS national convention this year. 

-Karl
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 08:33:47 pm »

Nice resurrection. This is quite an interesting thread; I've actually been thinking of doing something like this. Or rather, crossing the gunfighter/civil war/airship pirate archetypes into one. If that's possible. I'm certainly going to give it a try. I've been interested in SAS and Cowboy Action for a while now; I'll have to actually get out and get involved somewhere.

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 11:02:36 pm »

I hate wasting the all of the old contributions to a discussion by starting another.

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Florida

If you have clothes, but not all of the required shooting irons, just call your local SASS club.  Most will try and loan you needed guns for the first shoot so that you can try it out.  Many clubs even waive the fee for your first shoot.  You will need hearing protection and goggles.   Roll Eyes

Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 11:10:13 pm »

Wow, how did I miss this? Ahh, I see it is a thread from late last year before I started participating in Brass Goggles. No doubt my interest in SASS (along with SciFi, history, things 19th cent in general, re-enacting, mechanical invention and scientific exploration in the 18th-19th century [being a scientist] spurred my interest in steampunk)

Yes, I have been participating in SASS since 2000 and find it very enjoyable. I usually prefer Gunfighter class, most often with a pair of Vaqueros, but occasionally with a pair of Ruger Old Army revolvers. Although not an authentic repro of a period revolver, they are somewhat close to the Rem 1858. Lots of fun to shoot a pair of them Gunfighter style though, one in each hand firing sequentially..much smoke, fire, flash and bang! I prefer an 1873 repro for a rifle, and a SxS shotgun. One fellow that used to shoot with our local group had an original Win 1910 shotgun in 10ga (there are only originals to my knowledge, although there are repros of the '87). It tended to throw black powder smoke rings on occasion. Most enjoyable watching. I haven't really tried anything particularly notable as steampunk yet in my outfit, but plan to. I have the stuff to do a pretty good Doc in Back to the Future III. I think the 1910 Willson sideshield goggles might be a good addition since one needs glasses anyway.

Have any of you who do SASS tried vintage shotgun shoots, ala The Vintagers Order of Edwardian Gunners? Lots of fun there and truly some spectacular early shotguns and single/double rifles to be seen.

Believe me, there exists no such dilemma as that in which a gentleman is placed when he is forced to reply to a blackguard. ~Edgar Allan Poe
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 11:56:10 pm »

Merwin and Hulbert!

They used to be unusual and underappreciated... now they are rare and sought-after!  A pair of those would be just the thing to go with my 1873 Winchester musket.  Yes, I have shot a stage with bayonet fixed!

Cheers!

Chas.

Well Capt'n check this web site out...... Merwin & Hulbert is back!
I saw their add in a magazine some monmths back.... not cheap but you can get it in several calibers and barrel lengths...

http://www.merwinhulbertco.com/about.php

Allen <><

Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 12:23:52 am »

Amoung some of the beasts I own is an 1879 Riech revolver....

photo borrowed off the web...

Another one I had which I traded to a friend was a Wilkinson Pryse much like this one.... but in 45 Long Colt & longer barrel

I also have a nice Tranter in 38 Long Colt... I'll try and get a photo tonight.....
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 02:38:28 am »

I hate wasting the all of the old contributions to a discussion by starting another.

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Florida

If you have clothes, but not all of the required shooting irons, just call your local SASS club.  Most will try and loan you needed guns for the first shoot so that you can try it out.  Many clubs even waive the fee for your first shoot.  You will need hearing protection and goggles.   Roll Eyes

Thank you kindly, good sir. I see there are groups in Myakka and Arcadia, both of which are close to me. I shall have to investigate these further.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2011, 09:20:01 pm »

Since the gun thread seems to have gone NERF these days, and I would rather not interrupt that line with a real gun question, maybe someone here can help with this project.

I picked this antique "English Bulldog" ( a nice knock off of a British Bulldog which was a knock of of....) a while back.  Cutting down .44 reg/mag brass then resleeving them and grinding down the rims is amazingly tedious.  The antique ammo runs about $20.00 per round(!) but I just caught a break from a visiting gun-bunny: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157287&TERM=.44%20bulldog  Since Buffalo Arms sell .44 Bulldog brass (and .44 Webley) and I already have a .440 rb mold that is supposed to work I seem to be in business. 

What I am looking for now is an Ideal Loading Tool in .44 Bulldog or Webley.

I am not positive that either calibre was made and none have shown up on Ebay or Gunbroker yet but it was a very common gun when these tools were popular.  Has anyone seen one in .44 Bulldog or Webley at a local antique or gun shop?    Can anyone confimr that a loading tool was actually made for these rounds? 
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:47 am »

have you checked your bulldog and made sure it's center fire?  I had one that was rim fire....
check the frame around the rear portion of the frame as these are a cast item they did develop
hairline cracks now and then.....

I have never seen one of these loading/mold setups in that caliber if it is center fire
and the cases fit the chambers you should be able to press soft lead round ball into the
case it may peel off a little lead but that is all right, I have used this method with odd
caliber black powder arms in the past with satisfactory results.....
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2011, 12:49:07 am »

A most interesting historical item, Captain. Not exactly the "Garfield" model, but a close cousin.

I have a few original Win and Lyman loading tool/molds for various US cartridges, but do not recall seeing one in that cartridge. That is not to say they don't exist, but many for pocket pistol cartridges are quite uncommon. I second the idea of using roundballs if you can determine the chamber mouths and bore's correct diameter. I seem to recall many of those early bullets were heeled design, so the case may be a good bit smaller i.d. than is required ext.d. I don't know much specifically about the cartridge but will report back if I find anything to your interest in my cybertravels.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2011, 01:16:10 am »

have you checked your bulldog and made sure it's center fire?  I had one that was rim fire....
check the frame around the rear portion of the frame as these are a cast item they did develop
hairline cracks now and then.....

I have never seen one of these loading/mold setups in that caliber if it is center fire
and the cases fit the chambers you should be able to press soft lead round ball into the
case it may peel off a little lead but that is all right, I have used this method with odd
caliber black powder arms in the past with satisfactory results.....

I cut and ground down one round to confirm that it is center fire.  

At least two gunsmiths have inspected it.  It locks up better than some new revolvers and appears to have either never been fired or less than one box of ammo has gone through it.  The rifling is clean and sharp.  The slight wear pattern on the nickle suggests that it spent most of its life setting in a drawer.  It has no serial number and just a series of improbably small inspection marks (a crown?).   It was one of seven traded in to a local gunshop.  

I cast and load black powder rounds for .38 S&W as well as .45 (long) Colt.  Since .440 rounds are hard to come by I have heard from other folks that they have successfully loaded round balls.  I have this mold for my long rifle.  It would be nice to at least fire this pistol once.  I noticed in a Sherlock Holmes 2 trailer that Watson seemed to be carrying a close cousin to this pistol and in one poster Holmes is holding it.  Yes, I know, many Belgian/English/US revolvers looked a lot alike then.

I did see a tool with mold in Boone, NC that was just marked .44 (for $7.00) but I was not shooting any .44s at that time.  Even just the mold would be good to find.  

Prof Ainsworth Halfmain - Mine is very similar to the one that shot Garfield except that that one did not have a fluted cylinder.  I already have a Philadelphia Derringer so I need to keep an eye out for an inexpensive Carcano.   Cool

It is double action so I could use this in a SASS main match but it would be a real nice upgrade from my little H&R(?) .38 S&W that I carry for side matches.  The H&R just doesn't lock up right and it is beyond the interest of the local gunsmiths.  The bad part is that I am not sure that it worked any better when it was new.   Undecided
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:21:24 am by Captain » Logged
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2011, 03:13:21 am »

Haven't done any shooting in several years, but I am a SASS life member.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
The Mysterious Mr Murphy
Officer

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2011, 09:10:03 am »

Not a member, though I've shot a match or two.

I love Webleys and other top breaks. Missed a chance at a .38 Enfield about 15 years back in excellent issued condition.

Sooner or later a Schofield will be in my collection (repro) just because.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2011, 09:40:56 am »

I cast and load black powder rounds for .38 S&W as well as .45 (long) Colt.  Since .440 rounds are hard to come by I have heard from other folks that they have successfully loaded round balls.  I have this mold for my long rifle.  It would be nice to at least fire this pistol once.  

I did see a tool with mold in Boone, NC that was just marked .44 (for $7.00) but I was not shooting any .44s at that time.  Even just the mold would be good to find.  

I am not certain that the tong tool was ever made for the caliber...  if you come across a slightly smaller caliber such as .44 Colt, and are willing to sacrifice it, you could open it up enough to work.

However, once you have acquired brass, and do not intend to shoot it in a different firearm, one can fill the case 2/3 to 3/4 full of 3-F, a bit of wadding (even crumple Toilet Paper) and seat and crimp a ball on top, and you are good to go and usually never have to size them! . This is the "make do" method for any firearm with difficult-to-locate ammunition. If you choose to use smokeless, perhaps 3 gr of Unique will do nicely under a RB and produce very little pressure.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 06:33:15 am »

I picked this antique "English Bulldog" ( a nice knock off of a British Bulldog which was a knock of of....) a while back.  Cutting down .44 reg/mag brass then resleeving them and grinding down the rims is amazingly tedious.  The antique ammo runs about $20.00 per round(!) but I just caught a break from a visiting gun-bunny: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157287&TERM=.44%20bulldog  Since Buffalo Arms sell .44 Bulldog brass (and .44 Webley) and I already have a .440 rb mold that is supposed to work I seem to be in business. 

What I am looking for now is an Ideal Loading Tool in .44 Bulldog or Webley.

I am not positive that either calibre was made and none have shown up on Ebay or Gunbroker yet but it was a very common gun when these tools were popular.  Has anyone seen one in .44 Bulldog or Webley at a local antique or gun shop?    Can anyone confirm that a loading tool was actually made for these rounds? 

My Star .44 "Bulldog" brass arrived.  It is stamped ".44 Russian" on the bottom and is surprisingly heavy for such a short shell.  They take large pistol primers and a lightly greased .440 round ball fits very snugly with a Lee hand loader.  I used Clean Shot FFFg.  The ammo fired fine. 

Power wise it uses about the same amount of powder as a .38 S&W but the .440 rb weighs 125 gr while the .38 S&W weighs about 146 gr.  Probably not a "bear stopper" although I might look into the original .44 Webley ammo later.  The cylinder length convinces me that this originally shot Webley.  It is satisfying to bring a 120+ year old revolver back to the world of the living. 
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2011, 06:55:44 pm »

Got around to digging around in the armory for some of my toys.......

Here is my 1879 Riech revolver and a secondary British WWI revolver.... a 455 ELBAR m1914...

The Riech revolver is Germanys answer to the old Colt Walker it is massive..... a noval idea was
the side safety wouldn't want a trooper shooting one's self by accident..... this one has been broken
so when time permits I will make a new one.....

During WWI England France & Russia could not build arms fast enough to meet their war needs....

All three turned to America and England and France also supplemented arms with ones ordered
from Spain, the 455 Elbar is an interesting gun in that it is a copy of a Smith Schofield with the addition of a Merwin & hulbert skull crusher......

As I dig through the armory I'll add a few more toys.......  Smiley
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 09:57:26 pm »

A friend of mine just made a deal for a couple of Mosin M91/30s and the guy threw in a Chilean Modelo 1895 with the deal. He didn't want it but offered it to me for $85. How could I pass? Actually, the old rifle is in pretty decent shape mechanically, bore still sharp and mostly shiny (thankfully still in 7x57), stock dinged but sound. Most of the ones I see look like beaters anyway with little bluing and plenty of stock dings, and the few really good ones out there go for big bucks.

The stock cartouche is dated 1902. The seller said he researched the number and didn't think it was shipped to Chile. Who knows, maybe even went to South Africa! .... it sure looks like a Boer War interpretation possibility looms in the future!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:04:37 pm by Prof Ainsworth Halfmain » Logged
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 02:42:52 am »

I noticed a Champion Attitude ad in the magazine linked.

Anyone here have experience with them? I'm always on the look out for excellent, affordable, custom boots.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:14 pm »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-Ful-Vue-INDUSTRIAL-STEAMPUNK-SAFTEY-GLASSES-MACHINE-AGE-GOGGLES/250952817524?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=015&category=69855&cmd=ViewItem

In case anyone else is looking for dual purpose shooting/SP goggles on the cheap.  About a day left.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2011, 01:09:53 am »

Got a pair very much like that for SASS use a few years ago.  Came with a nice tin box holder; I need to find them and get my new 'scrip into them.  I got shatterproof lenses, and the lady who made them up had a terrible time getting them to take the tint.

But I have had fairly good chunks of spalled lead bound off them and off the side shields.  I do most heartily recommend them for saving ones sight.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: