The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 07:58:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS) Crossovers?  (Read 31938 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2013, 01:49:24 am »

Karl - I fixed my shotgun times by getting a '97.  I keep it shouldered, supporting with my strong hand, reaching down to grab shells from my belt - I strongly suggest getting a shotgun belt, or at least slides.  It cuts down on fumbling for shells, and really helps my time.

My '97 is an original, made in 1901; it has a 30 inch barrel, and I keep getting jokes about just pushing the targets over with it  Grin  A lot of the folks I have shot with can't do it the way I do, they just don't have the upper body strength to keep the shotgun up and in line with the targets, but I can be acquiring the next target while my left hand is reaching for shells.

Cheers!

Chas.

You are absolutely right about the shotgun belt or at least a new slider!

One of the things that I like about SASS is that it gives me a reason to own a rabbit eared shotgun.  I just bought a Marine Mossberg 500 (used and cheap) for the boat and plane.  It wasn't until after I brought it home that I realized that I have never fired a pump shotgun  Huh  I appreciate the practicality but otherwise just do not care for them much.  I could maybe see someday getting an 1887 but not sure that it would be faster.  Cooler maybe. 

-Karl
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2013, 04:51:13 am »

Cooler.  Definitely cooler.

Z

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2013, 08:19:51 am »

I don't see how anyone can hit anything, shooting from the hip...unless of course they use The Force.  Also, one handed shooting may look great on the big screen, shooting blanks and caps.  In real life, your wrist will be screaming at you, after you have emptied a few dozen Cal .357 magnum or .45 rounds.  As silly as the show Miami Vice was, it was the first time I ever recalled directors ever depicted holding larger caliber pistols the way we really do--with both hands and looking down the barrel.

I like to fantasize that with enough practice (or a laser site) a person could learn to shoot pistols from the hip especially at close SASS ranges like my current posse' prefers.

For what it's worth, apparently "instinctive aiming" was one of the skills Sir William Stephenson had taught to his agents at Camp X.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2013, 03:47:35 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPHqWTH00kA

This SASS shooter "Jed I. Knight" seems to shoot a lot of the more obscure categories and post videos. 

I would really like a pair of airsoft or BB Peacemakers for lots of backyard practice. 
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2013, 04:47:05 am »

Saw an 1887 the other day on the rack - at a PX - in... stainless.

It hurt my brain.  Brushed stainless wanna-be tactical finish.  Ouch.

Chas.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2013, 06:30:55 am »

Chas.

How much?
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2013, 06:51:39 am »

Chas.

How much?

I know one thing about 1887s-you get what you pay for.  Chiappa SUPPOSEDLY makes some nice ones, and I hear the Cimarron ones are decent.  But if you want real quality, there's this fella named "Coyote Cap."  Run you around $1,300, and there's about a year waiting list.

He takes the I.A.C. knockoffs and makes 'em run RIGHT.

I'm currently saving for one.

AND some reloading gear, because it's been since MARCH since I got to go shoot with them Cheatin' Gamey Bastards...  (what the NC SASS/CAS shooters tend to call themselves)

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2013, 06:35:44 am »

I'm sorry - I disliked it so much on the spot that I didn't notice the price.  It might be posted on the Exchange web site, but more likely not.  In general, they don't like to admit that the Army sells guns to authorized purchasers, for some reason.

Z
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2013, 02:57:40 am »

As I've lived the last ten years in Butte, Montana
I can't let this topic go without mentioning Bob Munden.

My ex and I were fortunate enough to go to his home
when we first arrived in Montana.
He and his wife (also a world record holder at the time - 1991)
were very kind and we had a blast (pun intended) shooting all afternoon
and perusing his photos of all the movie stars he taught to draw.
(Val Kilmer being one of many going all the way back to Sammy Davis Jr. and before)
He and my ex drew and fired trick ricochet shots until dark.

I've been reading with interest.

He was a legendary shooter. And IMO, worth the tribute. RIP.

Please remove if I'm being inappropriate posting about him here - if so, apologies in advance.

Fastest Gun Ever - Bob Munden
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:59:52 am by barb dwyer » Logged

*Relentless Optimystic *
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2013, 03:04:02 pm »

I'm sorry - I disliked it so much on the spot that I didn't notice the price.  It might be posted on the Exchange web site, but more likely not.  In general, they don't like to admit that the Army sells guns to authorized purchasers, for some reason.

Z

I have not seen a stainless one yet.  You might not like the rest of my guns.   Wink  My favorite shotgun is an old rabbit eared Crescent Arms 12ga but it has a long slow barrel.  I am not willing to modify this nice shooting antique so I have been hunting for a spare barrel to cut down to minimum legal and maybe nickel plate since I shoot black powder.  Ideally I want to shoot from the hip effectively since shotgun is eating way too much time on my stages right now. 
Black powder smoke
  Other coaching tips (besides shooting Huckleberry) would be appreciated since I have plateaued. 
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2013, 03:57:09 am »

I can not believe I missed this thread!

Unfortunately I have never participated in SASS but plan to in the future. I have done some quick-draw shooting (Beginners Level) using wax rounds with some good friends at a well known SASS shooters cabin home before. I loved it!

I plan on purchasing a Ruger Vaquero in .45LC sometime next year and a Henry Yellowboy in the some caliber to follow.

Here is a pic of my get up.

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:39 am »

Greetings my Fellow Crossovers -
I really must comment on  "instinct shooting" -
It has been taught and demonstrated for well over century by such notables as (previously mentioned) Bob Munden, Bill Jordan, Ed McGivern, Col Wm Fairbairn, and  Lt Col De Berenger (in his book from 1835) .

Skeet, Trap, and Longbow/flatbow "snapshooting" are all examples . In fact for a time the US Army taught a course using BB guns with the sights removed, and graduates were able to hit 2" targets thrown in the air from 4 meters away. Some were even able to hit thrown aspirin!

with consistant practice, a shooter can become very competent. At one point in my callow youth I was able to consistantly  hit soda cans ( 90% ) at 10 yards shooting a .22 revolver with my elbow braced on my hip.

keep practicing, it will will help considerable when the BP smoke obscures the targets ( as our good Captain has shown! )

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2016, 12:04:17 am »

I've been shooting Cowboy Action for over 15 years.
For the last few years I've been trying to build Steampunk into the sport.
Mainly in my clothing, but also as a category.

I do shoot an 1887 (yes with plastic shells), and am in the process of "Steampunking" it out.  I shall post photos when the prject is complete.

Meanwhile...
My favorite hat:

My other Steampunk Derby

Video

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2016, 08:04:48 am »

Thank you for posting, especially the video. 
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2016, 03:07:57 pm »

Because of the bird's head grip, I've always been partial to the looks of the colt Lightning (the one in Val Kilmer's shoulder holster in Tombstone), but understand that there was a lot of problems with it. Other than the fact that I understand that this was Colt's first double action, I know nothing about it. Any information would be appreciated. Also, if what I have heard about their unreliability is true, are the repros any better?

From what I have been told the only guns available in South Africa that need not go through a lot of red tape and a considerable waiting period are percussion firearms, but for them but, if my information is correct, one needs some kind of explosives certificate. if one is here on a visa, as I am, it is even more difficult.

At the moment I can barely afford a non-firing replica, but unfortunately about the only ones available are versions of the Peacemaker, Walker, Navy/Army, etc.

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2016, 05:55:52 pm »

creagmor,

Uberti in Italy makes a reproduction of the Colt Thunderer/Lightning.
They are Single Action Only, not true replicas of the original DA which were very fragile.

they are cartridge guns, being available in .38 special and .45 Colt. 

I am not familiar with the gun laws in South Africa so I can't comment on those.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2016, 03:44:13 am »

Bird's head conversions may fit some of the Colt percussion revolvers too:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/821208/ruger-grip-frame-birds-head-ruger-new-model-single-six-vaquero-large-frame-stainless-steel

creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2016, 05:52:50 am »

Thank you gentlemen
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2016, 01:15:48 am »

I'd be into it if such a thing existed over here..  Sad

akumabito, There used to be a few clubs in the Netherlands.  I know that they changed the laws a few years ago.

There is still one listed on the European Clubs page: http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=European

Phone: 31-517-592120
E-Mail: lightninganja.sass@gmail.com
Territorial Governor: Wild Ron McCarty
Phone: 31-517-592120
E-Mail: lightninganja.sass@gmail.com
Date of Monthly Match: As Scheduled
Annual Match: Northern Winter Range
Date of Annual Match: November 11, 2011
Contact of Annual Match: Wild Ron McCarty - 31-517-592120
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2016, 01:51:52 am »

OK, The camel's nose is under the tent now.

I have been corresponding with several other Cowboy Action Shooters who are also interested in Steampunk.

Since I am the Territorial Governor of our club, I used my minuscule amount of influence to start an "unofficial" Steampunk category.

So starting this Saturday, we will have an "Unofficial", Steampunk Cowboy (or Cowgirl) category.

Here are the requirements that we came up with for the category. 

Steampunk COWBOY/COWGIRL   
“Steampunk” is defined as “Victorian Science Fiction”.  The Steampunk genre is influenced by period writers such as Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and H.G. Wells, and modern authors such as H.P. Lovecraft.  Shooters are encouraged to combine elements of early Steam driven / mechanical / industrial design into their costuming and to their gear.  “Westernpunk” extends the metaphor to the old west period as exemplified by literature and media such as “The Wild, Wild West”.
Any Main Match revolver.  Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, except Gunfighter.   
May use any SASS–legal main match rifle. 
May use any SASS–legal main match shotgun. 
May use any SASS–legal ammunition. 
Steampunk users are encouraged to add Steampunk “flair” to their main match guns as long as the enhancements do not alter function of safety of the firearms.   These would include adding gears, Cerakote Firearm coatings (http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com), leather enhancements with fantasy elements such as carving, buckles, gauges, switches.  Firearms enhancements do not count as satisfying costuming requirements.
Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below.  All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies. 
•   Goggles (welding or aviation) worn as Eye protection or on hat.
•   Any Victorian head gear constructed of Felt, Straw, cloth or leather.  Including but not limited to: Pith helmets, Military, and leather flight helmets.
•   Pocket watch with Chain, Pendant or Pin watches.
•   Gauntlets / Cuffs
•   Vest, or waistcoat embellished in steampunk motif.
•   Scarf or tie.
•   Knife or tools (screw knives do NOT qualify), tools would include wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers.  Knife or tools all count as one element.  As an example, a shooter could not wear gauntlets with 5 screwdrivers and be considered as satisfying the requirements.
•   Spats or Botas.
•   Period gas masks or plague doctor masks.

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category: Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape.  Men may wear kilts.
Footwear:  Victorian shoes and Boots are required and must be of traditional design.  “Engineer Boots” with deep lugs are permitted.

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2016, 08:50:31 am »

Ah My Dear Rolan -
would that I were closer to Georgia ....
but the drive from NM is too far I fear...

yhs
prof marvel
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »

Ah My Dear Rolan -
would that I were closer to Georgia ....
but the drive from NM is too far I fear...

yhs
prof marvel

prof marvel,

It is my hope that other clubs adopt the category.  That is the way that "Outlaw" grew.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:31 am »

OK, The camel's nose is under the tent now.

I have been corresponding with several other Cowboy Action Shooters who are also interested in Steampunk.

Since I am the Territorial Governor of our club, I used my minuscule amount of influence to start an "unofficial" Steampunk category.

So starting this Saturday, we will have an "Unofficial", Steampunk Cowboy (or Cowgirl) category.

Here are the requirements that we came up with for the category. 

Steampunk COWBOY/COWGIRL   
“Steampunk” is defined as “Victorian Science Fiction”.  The Steampunk genre is influenced by period writers such as Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and H.G. Wells, and modern authors such as H.P. Lovecraft.  Shooters are encouraged to combine elements of early Steam driven / mechanical / industrial design into their costuming and to their gear.  “Westernpunk” extends the metaphor to the old west period as exemplified by literature and media such as “The Wild, Wild West”.
Any Main Match revolver.  Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, except Gunfighter.   
May use any SASS–legal main match rifle. 
May use any SASS–legal main match shotgun. 
May use any SASS–legal ammunition. 
Steampunk users are encouraged to add Steampunk “flair” to their main match guns as long as the enhancements do not alter function of safety of the firearms.   These would include adding gears, Cerakote Firearm coatings (http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com), leather enhancements with fantasy elements such as carving, buckles, gauges, switches.  Firearms enhancements do not count as satisfying costuming requirements.
Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below.  All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies. 
•   Goggles (welding or aviation) worn as Eye protection or on hat.
•   Any Victorian head gear constructed of Felt, Straw, cloth or leather.  Including but not limited to: Pith helmets, Military, and leather flight helmets.
•   Pocket watch with Chain, Pendant or Pin watches.
•   Gauntlets / Cuffs
•   Vest, or waistcoat embellished in steampunk motif.
•   Scarf or tie.
•   Knife or tools (screw knives do NOT qualify), tools would include wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers.  Knife or tools all count as one element.  As an example, a shooter could not wear gauntlets with 5 screwdrivers and be considered as satisfying the requirements.
•   Spats or Botas.
•   Period gas masks or plague doctor masks.

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category: Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape.  Men may wear kilts.
Footwear:  Victorian shoes and Boots are required and must be of traditional design.  “Engineer Boots” with deep lugs are permitted.

Why not Gunfighter?

What about 1 1/2+ pounds of metal armor or a handlebar moustache with a 270+ degree curl added to the five item list? 

You are posting pictures, right? 
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2016, 02:14:34 pm »

Captain, and Professor Marvel,

Yes, I will post pictures, but I have been dressing Steampunk at matches for a long time.

It was sure nice to see Cat Ballou dressed "Steampunk" in the latest copy of "The Cowboy Chronicle"

Here is a video from a recent shoot.  I wrote the stages for the match based on "O Brother where art thou?"

http://vid280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/Rolan_Kraps/Piedmont%20regulators/2016%20January%20O%20Brother%20Where%20Art%20Thou/DSCN4360.mp4

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2017, 04:05:15 pm »

http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5TjAEAbRw4

'Cause we just need more hobbies.    Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: