The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:32:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS) Crossovers?  (Read 32460 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« on: October 01, 2010, 06:32:32 pm »

Are there other Cowboy Action Shooting (SASS/NCOWS) crossover folks here? 

This is the latest Cowboy Chronicle which folks might find useful for the merchants: http://www.sopdigitaledition.com/thecowboychronicle/#/1/

http://www.sassnet.com/

For those who already crossover, how has your local posse accepted your Steampunk costume features? 

-Karl
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:32:13 pm »

Well, you, Gordon, Rod, me... there are some other crossovers from the AA, but I am not sure if they do CAS as well.

I have had fun with that aspect of things - it meshes well with the character I had already going.  Our posse does have a bit of fun, and since I had a good story for the changes (though they were pretty minor) they seemed to find it amusing.  Considering some of the get-ups we have had in the past, mine were pretty tame.

I just wish I could afford some of the more bizarre examples of period firearms - I would love to get hold of an old M&H, for instance.

Once we get moved back South I expect to look up the group down there. I just hope they are open-minded about that sort of thing.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 08:25:07 pm »

I'd be into it if such a thing existed over here..  Sad

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:16:43 pm »

Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://www.sass-netherlands.com/geschiedenis.html

Enjoy!

Chas.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »

You beat me to the Netherlands CAS.

"I just wish I could afford some of the more bizarre examples of period firearms - I would love to get hold of an old M&H, for instance." 

M&H?

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 05:51:48 am »

Merwin and Hulbert!

They used to be unusual and underappreciated... now they are rare and sought-after!  A pair of those would be just the thing to go with my 1873 Winchester musket.  Yes, I have shot a stage with bayonet fixed!

Cheers!

Chas.
kommander
Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 06:55:14 am »

Quite some time ago I saw pictures of someone doing CAS in a period British officer uniform with appropriate firearms. However I can not find them right now.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 08:07:10 am »

After many agonizing years of reverse engineering, the new Merwin, Hulbert & Company is finally entering production. Check out www.merwinhulbertco.com for a look at the demented magnificence. They expect to start filling pre-orders in November, a new order going in now would have to wait a couple of months after that. There will be Second and Third models, on both Pocket Army and Frontier frames.

All right, I know that technically these are "Modern Firearms", but I plead three excuses for posting this here. 1. These are painstaking reproductions of 1879 and 1882 designs. 2. This fits this thread beautifully. and 3. The aforementioned Demented Magnificence of the whole project. These things are Steampunk as all get out, as well.

The fact that no one at home is interested in the slightest and I was going to burst like a dry boiler from not telling anybody is a private matter of no concern to the Mods.

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Peregrine
Gunner
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:20:01 am »

Wow, interesting looking weapons.  If I had the cash...
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »

Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://www.sass-netherlands.com/geschiedenis.html

Enjoy!

Chas.

Well I'll be darned, never knew about that! Gotta look into it now.. thanks! Grin
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 04:54:28 pm »

I, for one, would love to give that a go.  Grin 'Though I'm sorry to say I'm not too keen on the dress.

It also answers the question of why my club was selling "Cowboy action loads" earlier in the year.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 06:38:36 pm »

After many agonizing years of reverse engineering, the new Merwin, Hulbert & Company is finally entering production. Check out www.merwinhulbertco.com for a look at the demented magnificence.

Nice! Not cheap though. Even a replica LeMatt is several hundred bucks cheaper.. But damn, are they nice looking! My all-time favorite revolver is still the Schofield.. there's just something insanely cool about break-top revolvers. Uberti makes a copy. Also very not cheap, but sooo cool..
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 07:01:46 pm »

Nikolas!  Tell me what your objection is to the dress - after all, this fine gentleman

is at an event - notice the nylon sunshade in the background of this otherwise period snap.

There is much latitude in dress - we have had one individual actually shirtless in a Native American impression in weather that would discourage most folks.  There are several groups in Britain, though they have a bit more difficulty these days, of course.

Check it out - you might find a niche you like.

Cheers!

Chas.
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 08:25:05 am »

I don't participate in SASS per se but I do post often to a board run by a few SASS ladies specifically to chat on costuming.

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 07:14:51 pm »

Merwin and Hulbert!

They used to be unusual and underappreciated... now they are rare and sought-after!  A pair of those would be just the thing to go with my 1873 Winchester musket.  Yes, I have shot a stage with bayonet fixed!

Cheers!

Chas.

OK, I seriously appreciate the history.  My wife is also very fond of the similar S&W top breaks for the same reasons.

S&W Model 2s in .38
(I recently found a 6" barrel for the short one if I can find the pin to go with it.)

I have a Hopkins & Allen .38 S&W for side matches.  Her S&Ws are too small gripped for my hands and I am too stingy to buy one of the new nickled Schofileds in .45 LC.....  The top breaks that I have fired are pretty nice guns and fantastic in reload stages. 
Story
Officer

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 02:00:31 am »

I just wish I could afford some of the more bizarre examples of period firearms - I would love to get hold of an old M&H, for instance.

http://www.horstheld.com/Lemat-25-e.JPG
http://www.horstheld.com/Lemat-25.jpg
I know of some folk converting a Lemat to .38 Special, a la' the Kirst. I'd tried to convinced someone to make an eight shot cylinder in .450 Colt (Fiocchi) but to no avail, right now.

Quite some time ago I saw pictures of someone doing CAS in a period British officer uniform with appropriate firearms. However I can not find them right now.

Colonel Flashy?

Nikolas!  Tell me what your objection is to the dress - after all, this fine gentleman

is at an event -  

Technically, he's at a Cowboy Action Shooting event.  Wink
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:30:40 am by Story » Logged

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 12:22:47 pm »

Dealing with separate powder, wadding, etc for cap & ball pistols/rifles are a royal PITA (since I'm lazy) and it always seemed liked the coolest period guns or their remanufactured modern cartridge model remakes were limited to post-Civil War/late 1800s revolvers, nothing from mid-century.  These days there's been a trend in making what up to now have been only 'load one cartridge component at a time' black powder revolvers and carbines that a also accept a pricey conversion cylinder that can shoot boxes of manufactured black powder (in some cases smokeless) cartridges.  If you were a nefarious person living in a gun-restrictive state with a penchant for using 1800s design revolvers, in the USA anyway, this is one of the easiest ways to bypass FFL requirements, perhaps in some Euroworld places too.  Check out all the rather spiffy post 1850 revolvers at the link, most (not the incorrectly spelled LeMat unfortunately) can be bought with conversion cylinders to shoot black and/or smokeless powder cartridges.  These ought to add a bit a new old design chic to such SASS events, and from a design perspective I would truly like a revolver-based carbine such as the Uberti Remington Revolving Carbine with an 18 inch brass scope and a few boxes of pre-made black powder cartridges.  markf
http://www.fcsutler.com/p58revolvingcarbine.gif
http://www.fcsutler.com/fccwrevolvers.asp

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 01:02:46 pm »

Nikolas!  Tell me what your objection is to the dress - after all, this fine gentleman

is at an event - notice the nylon sunshade in the background of this otherwise period snap.

*snip snip snip*

Cheers!

Chas.

Not exactly dressed like a coybow though, is he?  Wink
Story
Officer

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:34 pm »

If you were a nefarious person living in a gun-restrictive state with a penchant for using 1800s design revolvers, in the USA anyway, this is one of the easiest ways to bypass FFL requirements

This was the logic used by the People's Republic of New Jersey to declare cap &  ball revolvers 'firearms'.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 02:09:03 pm »

Interestingly, cap & ball revolvers are among the only handguns not covered by the UK's handgun ban. I'm certain the adjustments mentioned above are non-starters here, though.
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 02:49:49 pm »

I know SASS has a european presence but I have wondered how or if it is done in the UK, what with the very restrictive gun laws. I happen to live in a place where half of our friends / acquaintances conceal carry but, you know, American South eyeroll.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 03:42:11 pm »

Dealing with separate powder, wadding, etc for cap & ball pistols/rifles are a royal PITA (since I'm lazy) and it always seemed liked the coolest period guns or their remanufactured modern cartridge model remakes were limited to post-Civil War/late 1800s revolvers, nothing from mid-century.  These days there's been a trend in making what up to now have been only 'load one cartridge component at a time' black powder revolvers and carbines that a also accept a pricey conversion cylinder that can shoot boxes of manufactured black powder (in some cases smokeless) cartridges.  If you were a nefarious person living in a gun-restrictive state with a penchant for using 1800s design revolvers, in the USA anyway, this is one of the easiest ways to bypass FFL requirements, perhaps in some Euroworld places too.  Check out all the rather spiffy post 1850 revolvers at the link, most (not the incorrectly spelled LeMat unfortunately) can be bought with conversion cylinders to shoot black and/or smokeless powder cartridges.  These ought to add a bit a new old design chic to such SASS events, and from a design perspective I would truly like a revolver-based carbine such as the Uberti Remington Revolving Carbine with an 18 inch brass scope and a few boxes of pre-made black powder cartridges.  markf
http://www.fcsutler.com/p58revolvingcarbine.gif
http://www.fcsutler.com/fccwrevolvers.asp

Funny huh, how you can have a Remington clone for under $300, but a replacement cylinder costs nearly as much..  Roll Eyes
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 06:53:19 pm »

I usually compete with these nickled 1862 Colt Metropolitans in .36 (.380 rb), or if I am feeling lazy, the .38 S&W (black powder) cartridge conversions in the upper left.  I have a very nice old style Ruger Vaquero .45 and a stainless/brass '92 Rossi Puma; I should probably break down and buy another closed cartridge revolver.  I enjoy the challenge of casting my own rounds, loading my own shells, and handguns that work when they feel like it.  Cap& ball revolvers means that you miss out on a lot of socializing though since you are always loading.

For folks here who are not exactly dressing as standard "cowboys," how are you carrying/staging your pistols?    My wife likes to dress up but hates wearing a gun belt no matter what I make for her. 

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 08:09:28 pm »

You know it would be crap for competition use, but you'd sure get some interesting looks..

My "Curley Bill spin" cowboy holster draw

I want a holster like that for SP costume use... Grin

Now I just need to get 4 matching guns, lol
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 08:29:58 pm »

You know it would be crap for competition use, but you'd sure get some interesting looks..

My "Curley Bill spin" cowboy holster draw

I want a holster like that for SP costume use... Grin

Now I just need to get 4 matching guns, lol

That vid reminded me of Val Kilmer faro table scene in Tombstone (starts at 1:10 on the Youtube). markf
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: