The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 06:56:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh Fortuitous Providence!  (Read 1483 times)
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:37 pm »

For my entire childhood, my father had an antinque pocket watch that he kept in a bell jar display. It was his father's watch, he explained... and it didn't work.  But it was pretty and every once in a while, he'd take it out and polish it.  After some time, perhaps in my 20's, the glass jar broke and my father began hanging the watch on it's chains from a nail in the kitchen doorway.  He used to touch it as he passed it.  But again, he often stated that it didn't work and it would cost too much to repair it.

Well, years later, my father is five years gone and the watch was left to me.  All this time I've opperated under the knowledge that the watch... was broken.

But since getting into SP, I've been wondering just how costly it would be to fix it.  I dug it out of the box it's been lying in for 5 years and gave the stem an experimental twist.

Lo and behold, the watch started to tick!

In my surprise and delight, I wound it fully, set the time and let it run.  It ran for almost exactly 8 hours before it stopped at which point I reset the time and wound it again.

The watch runs beautifully, and keeps time rather well.  I decided to hit google and find out what I could about the watch.

I never heard of Elgin before joining Brass Goggles but of course I've seen the name quite a few times.

I located the Elgin Collectors website and looked up the SN on my watch (yes, I got the SN from the movement, not the case).

Here's what I found

Serial Number   SN Range RunQty Name Year grade size code   jewels Adj/reg/etc.
--------------  -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
       4800164   4799001   3000      1891  74    18s ofg5p     11j

Did this make my day? Abso-floggin'-lutely!

And my dear friends, since you've been kind enough to read my ramblings... I'll share some pictures.  Please forgive the poor photo quality, all I have to work with is a cell phone cam.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Andi
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:57:21 pm »

That's phenomenal.  Congratulations!  Smiley

"What a wee little part of a person's life are his acts and his words! His real life is led in his head, and is known to none but himself."  - Mark Twain
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:04:24 pm »

Should run for longer than 8 hours, sounds as if a slight oiling tune-up is necessary.  Try to find a local watch repair place that will let you look over their shoulder, or learn it yourself.  might be a bit more won than that and need a pin or two replaced.  you'd feel much better knowing anyway wht needs to be done to save for the repair if you had to.  Heirlooms are hard to come by.  Take care of it as only you could. 

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: