The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:25:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Children's "scary" movie with spirit-contacting Edison machine?  (Read 2380 times)
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« on: March 02, 2007, 03:19:40 pm »

Here's something that's been niggling at the back of my brain: a movie I saw many years ago.  From what I remember, it was one of those "horror" flicks aimed at younger kids (in the spirit of Escape from Witch Mountain) about some (modern) kids who find this lovely looking device hidden in their house.  The film was not Steampunk by any stretch of the imagination, but this machine--oh the machine!  It was all manner of brass, wood, and glass-tubed goodness, with a "made by Edison" nameplate on it.  When they plugged it in (to AC mains? Yeah...), it opened the portal to the spirit world or some such thing--Matilda-esqe adventures ensue. 

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 09:49:42 pm »

HAHAHAHA!!!!

EDISON YOU ARE THWARTED BY THE ALTERNATING CURRENT GOODNESS OF TESSLA!!!!!!

*hem*

sorry for that outburst.  I have not seen the movie but I would like to, do you have a title?

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
Vermilion
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 09:54:15 pm »

i haven't heard of the movie but it sounds interesting.
I think I remember reading how Edison was working on a machine that would make it possible to communicate with the dead.
I'm sure there is someone on here much more versed in history that knows what I'm talking about and has a better idea of what this unfinished machine was
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:00:03 pm »

Actually, if anyone stays up late listening to the radio...

Coast to Coast AM (http://www.coasttocoastam.com)  featured a segment last night on the edision spirit calling machine.  Though I had to be up for work at 6am, so I'm afraid I missed the segment.  One can listen to it on their website if you're a member of streamlink.
Brigand
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 10:36:01 pm »

Here's something that's been niggling at the back of my brain: a movie I saw many years ago.  From what I remember, it was one of those "horror" flicks aimed at younger kids (in the spirit of Escape from Witch Mountain) about some (modern) kids who find this lovely looking device hidden in their house.  The film was not Steampunk by any stretch of the imagination, but this machine--oh the machine!  It was all manner of brass, wood, and glass-tubed goodness, with a "made by Edison" nameplate on it.  When they plugged it in (to AC mains? Yeah...), it opened the portal to the spirit world or some such thing--Matilda-esqe adventures ensue. 

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Was it Nightworld: Lost Souls perchance..?
Further evidence
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:41:06 pm by Brigand » Logged
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 10:41:13 pm »

I think that's it!  Thanks!  Now, to find a copy of it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: