The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 05:03:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Clutch: The Mad Dash OOC  (Read 8695 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:59:19 am »

I hope that it's OK that I went ahead and made this; I suppose that if Cornelia or others object, we could always go back to OOCing in the main thread. Whatever works for everybody.

For now, at any rate, please enter any OOC comments, character descriptions (helpful but probably not necessary unless you want to include it), ideas, etc. in this thread.
------------------------

My Bit:

I decided to call this thing that Brantley's on The Mad Dash; I gave it a regular title to distinguish it from other The Clutch RPs that might develop. If anybody has a better title, let's hear it. Smiley

So, up to this point:
-Brantley entered The Clutch through the front door, but also through a 'tent-flap in time' generated by the 'blackbox' device (that's it's trademark portalization form; the Cigarette Case generates the spherical travelling fields and regularizes the crossover vortices) that was right in front of the front door.

Brantley proceeded to order a drink, inadvertently revealing his tentacle when he retrieves a dropped gold coin; he also is casual about showing or putting away the instruments used for his timetravelling. Brantley also asks what year and what planet it is, is called by his rather irate boss and Fiancee Miss Sally* (its a device that I frequently use to take up otherwise dead space and/or reveal or explain some concepts, and to introduce the next action sequence. other introductions are welcome), and manages to attract and recruit not only several companions but also a pilot/captain with a hovership, on which they all embark and fly to Bath and thence through an inter-dimensional portal.

On the other side of the portal, they encounter 'one of the worlds of glassblowers' and their whimsical Bath Cathedral of blown glass. Brantley warns that the inhabitants of this plane can be 'rather belligerent.' As if to underscore the point, they are suddenly attacked by a crew of (apparently) pirates or privateers, whose captain turns out to be someone that Cornelia knows.

They escape through yet another portal, and the enemy captain is thus separated from his crew, having followed his boarders to the hovership. All of the boarders except himself have been killed by the crew of the hovership. They surround the enemy captain, and Brantley threatens him with his (Brantley's) tentacle, which turns out to be toothed like that of a 'Colossal' (actual species name) squid.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current location:

I intended the current location to be a sort of 'between the dimensions' location, where they can look over and repair the ship, neutralize the opposing captain, and in general get a feel for where they are, etc. Ideas for the next world  we cut through are welcome, as are any and all OOC comments.
-----------------
About my characters:

Miss Sally:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brantley:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:51:08 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 11:19:03 am »

If i may, I'd like to recommend we find ourselves in a somewhat 'floating' world whereby most cities and trade is air based (a-la bioshock infinite I guess) and if an explanation is necessary I'd say that this is because of some sort of cataclysm on the ground (perhaps something caused the soil to become un-arable and a combination of hydroponics, areoponics and aquaponics are now used to grow crops)

Also it would be nice to visit the far east and see some Japanese and Chinese style steampunk

Also
Arthur E. Gatterweld

That's all I'll give for now  Wink

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:43:47 am »

Sounds good! Next stop, perhaps?
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:43:28 am »

The far east and the 'floating' civilization both sound like good options to me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:03:55 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 12:00:12 am »

If that last scene was too graphic, I'll try to rewrite it. it was my intention to introduce a short-lived moment of humor that segued into a moment of horror, but perhaps i went too far...

We can proceed now to either the airborne, or tp the far east world now, if everyone is OK with that...
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 04:06:41 am »

I'm fine with that
Airborne first? Seeing as Cornelia isn't on all that frequently I think this decision should default to one of you guys.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 07:54:46 am »

Pardon my absence today and part of yesterday; we're getting ready for an out-of-town relative to come and stay over next week. Also been re-stringing, rebuilding and testing a basket-case kiddie electric guitar, converting it to 'banjo style' (long story).
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:14:06 pm »

I'm fine with that
Airborne first? Seeing as Cornelia isn't on all that frequently I think this decision should default to one of you guys.

Ahem.
I have work, remember. I cannot be online all of the time as I am trying to make a living, thank you very much.
I say airbourne.
It sounds fun  Cheesy

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:00:26 am »

Fair enough

Sorry if the whole 'great war' setting was pushing the GM boundaries a little, the idea just kinda hit me and I figured it would be a cool thing to do
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:43 am »

No problem on my end. I'll just go ahead and play the city's incidental denizens (the publican -barkeep, etc. as they occur, plus there's some one with whom I 'd like for Brantley to have an 'encounter,' so to speak, after the current scenario runs for a few more posts. Everybody/anybody go ahead with whatever and I'll try to play along, but some warning or layout in advance might be a good idea if it's a major plot element, so I don't make a horrendous 'blooper' or whatever..

Sorry for my relative absence, had a gig (banjo etc.) and an outing, plus folks caught the flu and I almost did. So far as I know, everything's more or less copacetic at the moment...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 06:30:46 am by MWBailey » Logged
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 11:04:35 am »

I was planning of having a decent pint so unless that's a major plot point I have no real developments to happen.

When we hit the far east I might drop a message to Fu Manchu and ask him to make an angry appearance due to something in my past seeing as I have used him in my fluff.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 06:34:22 pm »

I'm not  sure whether he'll come back or not, but we'll see. Sounds like fun!
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:35:29 am »

Sorry I've been absent lately, been trying to get my sleep schedule (or lack thereof) back to normal.

---

I thought I'd try to introduce something...

The assassin was a time traveler, not really sure yet who he was working for. However, his main target may not have been exactly what it seems. If no one minds I'd like to tie this in with going to the Far East later...

(the bio-clockwork trilobite is a tracking/monitoring device of sorts, so it might be 'detectable' in some way.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:37:37 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 06:54:11 am »

Here's hoping it's OK that Brantley found and captured the red-shirted fellow, only to get sprayed and lose him (I hate invulnerable characters).
----------------------

Now that we've gotten a ways along and people are introducing Non-Player or Incidental Characters, I'd like to set the rule for what some have in the past called 'character shields'; basically the rule that characters can only be killed or overtly influenced by their creator's decision to have them do so or be so affected. In other words, lets not kill each others' characters unless permission is given by that character's creator to do so.
Maybe this goes without saying for most of us, but it's a good rule to have in my opinion, just in case of flaring tempers, for example. Smiley
------------------------------------

Hmmm...not to put too fine a point on it, buuut... ... I'd prefer to have the A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y. organization and its various subsidiaries to be unassailable except by Brantley or Miss Sally or the committee members (in other words, by me). There's a reason they're in a far-off dimension and hold themselves so aloof.

I'd also prefer that no one gets to infiltrate the Committee or A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y. or their various subsidiaries without my permission (not likely), as they are characters in their own right and belong to me. They are not a masonic  organization, nor are their members masons secretly or publicly or members of other secret societies outside of the organization itself, mainly because of past plots involving previous organizations and a desire to do their jobs without such impediments.

Now, if you feel you just absolutely have to do a plot with the Committee or AUNTSALLY, PM me and lets talk about it. I'll be flexible to a point, but I will not allow them to be negated (they already are very 'hands off' about the whole thing to begin with) or killed off, or to be changed beyond a certain point. Brantley would  cease to be Brantley without Sally, the organization and the Committee to be at odds with.

No, that does not mean you can just invent a Committee member and go amok and kill them all off, or do a Chinese Mind Control bit and make them all your mind-slaves, or have Lloyds or some other organization do dirty work to them. Neither Lloyds nor any other insurance company or stock or other organization can influence them. Nope, not even 'lf'. (sorry Jim Wink).  they're MINE, MWA HA -- *ahem*. Well, you get the point. Wink. It's essential to the plot, in any case.

No offense is intended toward anyone, masonic or otherwise. I do have my reasons (mainly in terms of plot support and continuity with other projects) both for the rule(s) and for stating it (them) in advance.
---------------------------
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 08:36:28 am »

I totally agree. I won't be introducing any non-member characters and will instead ask people to join for a few posts or whatever.
Later I may bring in the odd non-player character.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 07:09:40 pm »

Sounds good. Smiley

Sorry if I overstepped having the assassin know about Brantley and his connections. Whoever he's working for likely knows very little about the AUNTSALLY organization, other than name and a few of the 'operatives'. (Knowing about Brantley specifically might have to do with other things.)

---

A short character description, might be added to/updated later on.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:44:58 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 09:39:34 pm »

I have no qualms about people knowing about Brantley, A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y., Miss Sally, or the Committee; they're bound to have made more than a few impressions and countless enemies over the centuries, much the same as other such organizations in literature and SF/Fantasy et al.

As I have said several times here and elsewhere, there are other trans-temporal regulative organizations. Thus, of course there would be others whose aims would conflict with and/or work in concert with those of the Committee and A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y. If you want to come up with a competing organization and competing operatives, by all means do so -- just please be sure you enter it in here so the rest of use are aware of it.

Any scorn or respect shown by Brantley or AUNTSALLY or the Committee will be strictly in character (much like the Iscariots' disdain for Hellsing, for example or Hellsing's reverence for the Queen), likewise I would expect the same from others organizations and/or operatives.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:41:28 pm by MWBailey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 11:11:03 pm »

A chtuloid creature has been 'enslaved,' much the same as the creature from the HMAS Badger RP. He has asked Brantley to free him. Brantley will be given instructions for how this is to be done. I thought it might be fun if the group got together on this (sort of a mini treasure hunt, so to speak. Of course, this would necessarily have to be tied in with whatever other plotlines are in play. Any takers?
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 04:07:14 am »

Sounds like fun! Smiley
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:50:22 am »

Sure
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 05:24:58 am »

BNrantley's not through explaining yet; he's trying to boil down the entire history of time travel, AUNTSALLY, Teh Committee, and the Pan-Temporal Martian Wars into a short talk. Feel free to post in between and around, I don't want to hog dialogue. I'll try to keep it brief and navigable... Wink
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 06:13:28 am »

Drop me a message with what the Chinese script needs to translate to and I can get in touch with Manchu.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 04:02:19 am »

Alright, I'll try to get a translation written soon...

Thought I'd write in a 'backup plan' of sorts, just in case you aren't able to contact him.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:05:23 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 04:55:22 am »

The backup plan sounds like a smart idea
If we decide to use the 'man in Macau' I'll just double-character him (as in, play him myself) if it's alright with you guys.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 03:17:25 pm »

fine with me
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: