The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2019, 07:23:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you prefer being called a "steampunk" or a "steampunker?"
steampunk
steampunker
other (please specify)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk vs. Steampunker  (Read 13545 times)
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« on: July 21, 2007, 04:41:20 am »

This is based entirely on my observations here.

http://fugunews.wordpress.com/

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode." --Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 04:46:57 am »

i am not either, i am a victorian science fiction enthusiast.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 04:49:38 am »

That's only good with............

Hey! on that note what would be a good term for non-steampunk(er)s? How 'bout civilians?
Akael
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 05:17:23 am »

I've always called mainstream types 'danes (as in mun).
Otto Maton
Officer
Canada Canada

Steampunk as Gaeilge? Is GALPUNC mé!

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 06:19:13 am »

Steampunk, for me.

Don't know much people calling themselves "punkers"...

The Gaslamp Orchestra - Steampunk Music Project
http://www.myspace.com/gaslamporchestra

"I'm a Steampunk, darn it! Not a Victorian!

"To put it simply, my friend, simplicity simply isn't steampunk!"
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 06:30:23 am »

I don't like real cats at all, but so far I have found myself borrowing annexing beat jargon I.E. Steamcat/Kitten

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
Vincent Théière
Zeppelin Captain

The skull behind the skin.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 06:49:22 am »

I chose other, I call my style/tastes/whatever steampunk but I try and refrain from giving myself a title like that, too often it ends in wankery.  Not to say everyone who does is bad, it's just not something I'm into.
A. Heron
Officer

Masonic Powerwright

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 10:55:10 am »

I like the term "etherpunk", myself.

Man is a microcosm, or a little world, because he is an extract from all the stars and planets of the whole firmament, from the earth and the elements; and so he is their quintessence.
Paracelsus
wandering_nomad
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:52:40 pm »

I just refer to myself simply as a "Steampunk Enthusiast" whenever I'm describing my interests to someone who doesn't know.

Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A Gentleman.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 01:59:28 pm »

hmm if pushed to answer between Steampunk & Steampunker I should say Steampunk, but either way there doesn't seem to be terribly much difference...
-I suppose I use the name Steampunk because its convenient as people (occasionally) know what I mean.

What about "techno-luddites" as a name?
-on that note does anyone want to buy a paradox-in-a-box only 3d!

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 02:28:15 pm »

I define myself as a refined scoundrel that likes his punk steamy.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Interstellar Machine
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 03:03:40 pm »

I chose other, because the "punk" part is a misnomer and draws the wrong kind of interest. Perhaps something like "Steamer" or "Mechanonaut" would be more a descriptive. Soccer (or football) players at my old high school were called "Sweeds," so maybe something totally off the cuff like "Wafflers."

Then I think about what science fiction or fantasy fans are called . . . that is, science fiction or fantasy fans.
Dog Soldier
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 03:58:03 pm »

I prefer to be addressed at el Magnifico
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 04:43:40 pm »

LOL - "I like waffles"  *waits for it..*

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain of the pirate Airship Aurelia

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 05:15:04 pm »

I call myself a steampunker, for me the punk part is very important so I like to have that connotation involved, the other people in the world, the non-steampunks, I call conformist sheeple as there are no real individuals anymore what with everyone dressing the way the "gap" and other stores tells them and just doing what everyone else does all the time,,,,,,,sorry for the rant, I tend to go off on the wrongs of modern society every once in a while.

"Dammit all, the hydrogen catalysts have gone off again!"

opta ardua pennis astra sequi
Mad Maxine
Zeppelin Captain

I'm the one in the hat.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 06:02:40 pm »

Hah ha! Your "Sheeples" are my "Domestic House Cows."

And on the topic of steampunk, someone called me steampunk about 10 years ago, and I took it as a compliment. In many regards, I'm more of a rivet head, except that I actually know what a rivet is, and how to use one. However, I just call myself "bad-ass" (or B'Dass). Wink

Dedicated to the destruction and repair of objects in the name of curiosity.
Radio Saturday
Officer

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 06:35:44 pm »

For some reason, I use the term "steamkid" or "steamkids," but mostly for myself.

I probably just annoyed the hell out of a bunch of people here, but I didn't mean to.

OBSCURE
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2190763/1/">Anapura</a>
<a href="http://www.radiosaturday.com">Radio Saturday Press</a>
gpalmer
Snr. Officer

Mad Limner and Sometime Bricoleuse

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 09:36:39 pm »

I call myself a steampunker, for me the punk part is very important so I like to have that connotation involved, the other people in the world, the non-steampunks, I call conformist sheeple as there are no real individuals anymore what with everyone dressing the way the "gap" and other stores tells them and just doing what everyone else does all the time,,,,,,,sorry for the rant, I tend to go off on the wrongs of modern society every once in a while.

I find it very perplexing to see people say that there are no real individuals "anymore" in terms of dress.  We probably live in the era that's the most accepting of personal idiosyncracy in terms of appearance, perhaps in all of recorded history.  A really old yearbook will show graduating classes that are nearly identical in terms of style.  Being "strange" in modern society will get us peculiar looks.  In the 19th century, and even for most of the 20th, it could have resulted in much more severe consequences, unless the individual had a great deal of money or status.

And to keep this closer to topic: I prefer steampunk.

Grace D. Palmer

<a href="http://gracedpalmer.necropolisstudios.net"> The Art Of Grace D. Palmer </a>
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 10:44:42 pm »

I'm in the 'other' category...
I'm sort of Astro-nautical-mountaineering-experditionist avec goggles. Cool

But, give it about 18 months, I suspect there will be tabloid headlines screeching of the sinister evils of Steampunk... Sad
skribb
Officer
American Samoa American Samoa

The Antithesis of Normal

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 11:19:22 pm »

It's either way for me. I use "steampunker" myself, but it's just a personal preference. It does not matter whether the last two letters are included in the term when addressing me. Although I tend not to describe myself as anything, I am simply "me".

But all the clocks in the city,
Began to whirr and chime.
O, let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time!
Lurker
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 11:50:47 pm »

Quietly, a voice from the back of the room states:

"A Economist friend of mine said that the resent trend in the world events reflect events from 100 years ago. Both in events and in economics, and while the names of these events have changed the basis of these events have not.

Interesting to say the least. If this is the case and we are just in a new cycle of the same old history, then doesn't that mean that "Steampunks(ers)" are just the modern social cluster of inventors, tinkerers, philosophers, and thinkers?

It's an interesting theory to pursue, but only a theory. Either way I don't really care what others call me as long as it's not "Steamer". That's just wrong."
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 11:59:21 pm »

Either way I don't really care what others call me as long as it's not "Steamer". That's just wrong."
I'd have a problem with "steaming".
teawithsteph
Officer

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 06:50:16 am »

I have not ever had a need to place labels on myself or others. So for me Steampunk/Victorian Science Fiction/NeoVictorianism etc is just one of my interests. It is currently one of the major interests I spend my time on.

I think it interesting those who talk about sheeple or other conformists as lacking individualism. I personally often resemble one of the most boring conformist people around, until someone takes the time to talk to me. In fact so does my best friend. She and I are stay at home mothers to 2 children who have husbands in the tech industry. We both do a variety of crafts and other "typical" activities. However if you were to overhear our conversations we talk about science fiction (we both met our husbands at science fiction conventions) , news articles, interesting technical articles about new discoveries in science, our children, latest books we are reading, medical stuff, new things we discovered doing medical research etc. We think and we read yet to most people we look rather conformist. Don't always judge people by how they dress. I honestly would look at how they react to you if you are dressed differently and use that to form a starting point for conversation. If you are going to be confrontational and judgemental expect to be treated differently.
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 08:41:10 am »

I find it very perplexing to see people say that there are no real individuals "anymore" in terms of dress.  We probably live in the era that's the most accepting of personal idiosyncracy in terms of appearance, perhaps in all of recorded history.  A really old yearbook will show graduating classes that are nearly identical in terms of style.  Being "strange" in modern society will get us peculiar looks.  In the 19th century, and even for most of the 20th, it could have resulted in much more severe consequences, unless the individual had a great deal of money or status.
Thankyou Mlle Palmer, I was just trying to formulate much the same reply myself.

Our dress "rules" now are far more relaxed, and our dress styles far more varied (ignoring class differences) than at any other point in history.

Conformity is not a modern trait, and nor is it a solely human trait.
Aik
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 01:28:22 pm »

I don't actually self-identify as a steampunk, merely appreciate it a great deal, but 'steampunker' sounds utterly bizarre to me.

And saying that all non-steampunks are sheeple ... well, your arrogance and ignorance is pretty damn appalling. Yes, of course there are 'sheeple' - plenty of them - but setting your subculture so high and mighty above the rest is ridiculous.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: