The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:56:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $.79 sticks of dynamite  (Read 12001 times)
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 10:23:54 am »

I saw this thread title and thought the crazy colonists had started seeling these in Walmart! You can already buy guns in there...

Not ALL of The Walmarts sell guns, friend!  In FACT, only two in my area do!  Somethingorothertodo with sales volume, and how able they are TO sell them.

Hell, my LOCAL The Walmart is the ONLY one in my area to sell Paintball gear!

But seriously, the day The Walmart starts selling Dy-No-Mite is the day I head for the hills... 

With a large supply in my trunk!

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
Paul 8v
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 02:45:30 pm »

I saw this thread title and thought the crazy colonists had started seeling these in Walmart! You can already buy guns in there...

Not ALL of The Walmarts sell guns, friend!  In FACT, only two in my area do!  Somethingorothertodo with sales volume, and how able they are TO sell them.

But seriously, the day The Walmart starts selling Dy-No-Mite is the day I head for the hills... 

Too right, you can never have too much dynamite!
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2010, 02:36:09 am »

I'll take a whole briefcase full of them, if you fly them over.  Smiley

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Story
Officer

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »

An unexploded Victorian gunpowder blasting charge has been found near rail tracks in Dorset.

The charge, thought to be 126 years old, was found at Corfe Castle by a railway maintenance worker on Thursday.

It is thought to date from 1884 when railway navvies were constructing a cutting through the chalk rock of the Challow Hill of the Purbeck Hills.

The unexploded charge was made safe by a team of Army bomb disposal experts who removed it from the scene.

Measuring 3in (7.6cm) wide and 1in (2.5cm) deep, the charge was discovered in the chalk rock by a member of the Swanage Railway's track maintenance gang.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-14416413

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 08:38:11 pm »

None of the Walmarts in my area sell guns, and I didn't think any of them did. I'm sure whatever they carry is poorly made 3rd-World copies or cheap export versions anyways, if they're anything like the rest of what they sell there.

Sorry for the thread-jack.
Professor Ambrose Maycock
Gunner

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 09:59:05 pm »

I know I am late to reply but sadly must have missed this posting. The color to me is very accurate for what I have seen of old Dynamite. Growing up on a ranch my grandfather used it a lot , and I remember finding very old sticks once in the barn that were sweating a yellowish goo that when scrapped off and flung on the ground would pop and fiz. We later learned it was the nitroglycerine oozing out. Just thinking back now what me and my brother did with those old sticks as kids playing robbers until my grandfather caught us scares me..  Most was in crate paper brown tubes very rarely red in color. I think that color was a Hollywood add on or something. Then the brand Dynabol came in white paper wrapping with a very bright blue text. Almost comical looking. In the end very nicely made prop.

Regards
Ambrose Maycock
Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 01:43:09 am »

Oh if only there was a way to replace the string with something that would look like a lit fuse. That would be fun!

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 04:29:53 am »

Historical accuracy ?!

"Steam Punk needs historical Accuracy, like an airship needs a Goldfish.,"- Dianna Vick.

Am I wrong for feeling like an airship should have a goldfish or two?

I liked them... they'd be an entertaining prop, a big old T-N-T might be appropriate

Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2011, 11:19:02 am »

uhm, I suggest you flag them somehow so people and "cops" don't go ballistic.   Roll Eyes

Your Hell, is my paradise.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 11:43:50 am »

uhm, I suggest you flag them somehow so people and "cops" don't go ballistic.   Roll Eyes

When you are in character they usually don't hassel you.  And when they do it is usually to check out your cool toys.  As long as you are not threatening people or letting them lie around, they generally could care less.  I have done a number of mock-ups for reenacting from German grenades, to Russian grenades, and even a satchel charge.  The crown jewel of my fake explosives is my aerial training bomb I got at an auction for $25, it is heavy and awesome.  I am considering steampunking it a bit and ditching that awful blue color, but then again the historical value would be ruined. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 12:03:39 pm »

Czarist stick grenade.  Forget the exact designation, just remember coming across it and thinking, wow, that looks so much cooler than the potato masher.  I seem to have lost the cap for the base, it has been awhile since I had it out, so who knows where that disappeared to.   
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:10 pm »

Oh if only there was a way to replace the string with something that would look like a lit fuse. That would be fun!

Easy enough to stitch a little pinch of tinsel to the end.  Smiley

I think ONE should at least say "ACME" with a logo or a roadrunner.

And dried rubber cement
(if you've ever had to scrape it
off the kitchen counter or coffee table
after a 'project' you know it dries very hard)
would be a passable fake Nitro Sweat.

Then again, a black plastic ball with
a fuse and maybe
TNT on the side
would be fun looking in a hat!

I think the dynamite
sticking out of a pocket
like a cartoon villian (or coyote)
would be a good costume accessory.

*Relentless Optimystic *
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 05:44:41 pm »

It definitely is one of the easiest props you could make.. brown packing paper, a tube and some string is pretty much all you need. A little fun with photoshop or even Word and you're good to go! I'd love to see other people's take on the stick-o-boom..

On a related note.. ever noticed how those super-cheap garden torches like these have a black metal canister that kinda resembles the head of a potato-masher grenade?

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »

It definitely is one of the easiest props you could make.. brown packing paper, a tube and some string is pretty much all you need. A little fun with photoshop or even Word and you're good to go! I'd love to see other people's take on the stick-o-boom..

On a related note.. ever noticed how those super-cheap garden torches like these have a black metal canister that kinda resembles the head of a potato-masher grenade?

A bit too big, now if it was thinner....it would be perfect for the Russian cylindrical varieties.  Including the WWI era gas grenade. 
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2011, 06:25:43 pm »

Probably won't do for a reenactor, but good enough for SP work.. Grin
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »

Probably won't do for a reenactor, but good enough for SP work.. Grin
Definitely. 
Crawford Mourne
Deck Hand

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:13 am »

What really sucks is that there's a 90% chance I was put on the government watch list for viewing this thread.
Brilliant work though, on that fake dynamite...that is of absolutely no threat to anyone's homeland security.

Cheers!

Keep treating "Thanks You's" like your social security card number, and I'll enjoy the view.

This is a rat race and maybe it's time you STOPPED.
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2011, 04:23:38 am »

Another comment I wish I could delete.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:41:48 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2011, 04:30:27 am »

Sorry for the political comment, I shouldn't have said that here. Please return to your discussion. 
TVC15
Zeppelin Admiral

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2011, 04:40:04 am »

You could make several of those sticks and tape them around your chest, go to the next party dressed as a suicide bomber instructor. Once you have several people interested, say "Okay, I'm only going to show you this one time..." Grin

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
Zthroo
Gunner

Lt. Paulus Heckenschutze at your service.

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 02:06:38 am »

Excellent work! I think I may have to make some of these. I don't sweep my floors all that often anyway...

Apparatus intemporaliter verto
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2011, 10:26:53 am »

My full time job is a cop; trust me, something like this going to or from an event, wouldn't be pretty.   Cool
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2011, 06:37:37 am »

My full time job is a cop; trust me, something like this going to or from an event, wouldn't be pretty.   Cool

What state?  Because in PA, as long as the context is right it usually is not a bad ending.  (I say usually because a few counties overdo the police work and forget the community, I admit it with a frown as I have considered following my mother (EMT) and cousin (PD) into the Emergency Services)  I had a friend from reenacting who was pulled over for speeding on the PA turnpike with a lot more than a fake stick of dynamite and immediately told the officer what he had.  The officer was delighted just to see it and let him off with a warning for the sheer pleasure of seeing a 60mm mortar and a bazooka.  Now had my friend been totally civilian in his clothes and possessions, I can guarantee the situation would have been a lot worse.  I have to give a lot (but not all) of police credit, they know when a context is a threat.  Steampunk perhaps would be out of context especially if it leans Gothic, no offense to Goths (don't make me post the pictures from high school to say I UNDERSTAND) but there are stereotypes out there and I'd say for good reason given some of the events that have happened.  Will I still be a proud gun owner who wears a black leather trench coat, yes, but I also know when to be smart about it.  
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2011, 07:41:38 am »

I am a patrolman with the Pennsylvania State Capitol Police.   Grin
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2011, 04:29:03 am »

I am a patrolman with the Pennsylvania State Capitol Police.   Grin

Well there you go, I definitely wouldn't carry anything up there.  Haha.  A few miles south in Middletown we get away with a lot more.  Even saw a shotgun carrying guy going down to the river to duck hunt...and I live about 15 blocks from the river. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: