The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 06:19:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $.79 sticks of dynamite  (Read 12002 times)
eruannu
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 05:27:23 pm »

let me just say I like you get approval.  you could plausably sell the document template on etsy. I would not be a customer (i would make my own but hey)

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.” Nikola Tesla
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 07:39:50 pm »

Hmmm.... thanks, Blain!  Yes, I have looked through those, and several dozen other sources.  The problem is not a dearth of choice, but an embarrassment of riches - how to choose?

I have been working on a series of 'warning signs' (google Victorian Warning Signs and you get a lot of shark warnings, surf warnings, wombat and kangaroo warnings...) and I can't seem to be able to select a font that would work.  I need something businesslike, but Clarendon is far too common.  I need something evocative of the Victorian Era, but Algeria is too artsy and fussy, and the various fonts with heavy bits at top and bottom end up looking more like a wanted poster from Tombstone than a warning sign.

Well, I will keep at it.  Thanks!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 07:50:21 pm »

Nice! But I was hoping for a link to a sale on dynamite...

As was I jringling.  Ah well.....

As far as the discoloration mentioned, it is quite common for the nitroglycerin to leak out after a period of time.  And of course the slightest disturbance can easily set this off.  Thus the instability comment. 

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 08:03:36 pm »

Ah yes dynamite much beloved staple of the Acme Co.

as they say... here's one I wore earlier, again brown pacageing tape around 15mm plastic tubing and a piece of painted string....

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:03:04 pm by Sir A Poiselamppe » Logged

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 09:53:12 pm »

Hahah, I had a stick of 'dynamite' ending up in my hat band as well.. Grin

blain
Deck Hand

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:20 am »

Charles, we're talking about the Victorian period here. Artsy and fussy was the fashion of the day.
Have a look at http://www.robertsharp.co.uk/2008/05/25/pushing-the-envelope/
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 01:46:48 pm »

If you're past the "newbie" stage with your preferred typographic program, around the later nineteenth century and into the early part of the twentieth, designers bent type into all kinds of curves, something my tutors raged at, insisting that type came on metal blocks with squared corners and was never meant to be stretched and pulled like pretzel dough. However, my tutors were very much the product of the hot metal typesetting industry and many of the loveliest designs were drawn by hand for printing by lithography in the era when lithographic stones were still used.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:51 pm »

Hmmm... I think I will go with a Copperplate Gothic.

For things like dynamite sticks and warning signs, even though, yeah, they did like to get all artsy and fussy, I am thinking clear and bold here.

Just a hunch...  although a warning sign in an opaque typeface, with obfuscatorial wording, does strike me as amusing - along the lines of the recent Girl Genius literacy test - something like "EXTRADYNAMIT NOBEL", "Mind the Gap", or "Warning, Eel-Infested Waters" would probably be done in fairly straight-forward and readable style.

Copperplate Gothic does seem to be useful for the period, readable, and not terribly common today.

Cheers!

Chas.
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain

Corporal Grease - Her Majesty's Own Mars Engineers

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:49 am »

Inspired by your dynamite, I created this.

(Anyone coming to Codename: Crimson, please look away)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:33:26 am by Dave the Troll » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:14 am »

"hoher Sprengstoff" does not seem to be a common german expression.
Hochexplosiv should do.

German wikipedia has more information on Amatol than the English one. If you need a translation, I will try to be of any help.

I have found a pic of an authentic label for FP02 (That´s what they called TNT in their terms)
http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/11/17/56/64/16030810.jpg

If you can reproduce it, I would like the file.  Wink

Grenade boxes could be made quite easily:
http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/grenade%20box1.jpg
I just have no idea on how to make the writing.

Another easy to build but hard to write project is this:
http://pl.b5z.net/i/u/6070324/i/WW2_Demolition_Replicas0089.JPG

If anyone can write on wood using a soldering iron or something, look at this:
http://webdoc.gwdg.de/ebook/a/2002/nobelcd/html/einleitung1.htm

Best regards from rainy Germany

The Bullet

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:11:15 pm by The Bullet » Logged

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 11:06:09 am »

"hoher Sprengstoff" does not seem to be a common german expression.

German wikipedia has more information on Amatol than the English one. If you need a translation, I will try to be of any help.

Google translate give "high explosives" as the translation of "hoher Sprengstoff".
Google translates the German wikipedia article to a readable form.  I'd already been there and had a quick read through.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 01:26:14 pm »

Here:

http://lagrandeguerre.cultureforum.net/armes-et-accessoires-armes-blanches-munitions-etc-f41/pains-explosifs-allemand-t4119.htm

are huge Pictures of the original WESTFALIT bar.

Hope this helps.
Eastblock
Officer
Faroe Islands Faroe Islands

Steam Nerd

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 01:37:31 pm »

Google translate give "high explosives" as the translation of "hoher Sprengstoff".

And you trust an online translator?  Wink

It's a word for word translation and there is no such thing as "Hoher Sprengstoff". It would more likely just be labeled "Sprengstoff". IMHO the correct translation of "High Explosive" would be "Hochexplosive Sprengstoff".
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 01:38:04 pm »

I like the underside of this one.

Google gives me "Introduction of the hole before blasting cap pierced with a wooden stick"
Which I take as "Make hole with wooden stick before blasting cap is inserted"

I noticed the picture of the wooden stick on the same page and may make on to have in the crate.

Generally, for what I'm making the general "feel" is more important than accuracy.
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »

This is pretty awesome. I think I want some.

Someone (maybe me?....nah) should make a brass canister to hold the dynamite. You know...because canisters are cool....
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:49 pm »

Yeah, I want to make some more, too. Change the fonts and texts a little.. I would like an EXTRADYNAMIT label, or maybe something else altogether. Maybe a little more fantasy/steampunk rather than copying an actual label. Hmmm..

*puts thinking cap on*

CAUTION: Highly Unstable Phyllosilicate Minerals*

*Also known as Clay
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 06:48:10 am »

CAUTION: Highly Unstable Phyllosilicate Minerals*

*Also known as Clay

THIS.  VERY THIS!!!

Only true nerds/geeks/scientists/my dad would get that, too!  Cops couldnt hassel ya for totin' in public, either...

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 09:04:31 am »

I agree, that is a good idea. Cops wouldnt know what it was they were looking at.
They might take you in for that, though.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 01:13:50 pm »

I suddenly had some ideas...Heheheh Grin

Akumabito, what event do/did you refer to?

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 08:28:15 pm »

I suddenly had some ideas...Heheheh Grin

Akumabito, what event do/did you refer to?

Used my dynamite for EFF Arcen, think the next outing will be EFF Haarzuilens..
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:35 am »

Duly noted Wink

As for the idea in question...I've got a LARP dagger sheath that I'd like to incorporate into my Steampunk get-up, but without a dagger in it and something more dangerous. I figure a nice stick o' dynamite will do just fine Grin
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2010, 08:02:32 pm »

Duly noted Wink

As for the idea in question...I've got a LARP dagger sheath that I'd like to incorporate into my Steampunk get-up, but without a dagger in it and something more dangerous. I figure a nice stick o' dynamite will do just fine Grin

How about a bandolier full of boomsticks? Hmm.. might go for that one myself, actually.. Cheesy
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 09:46:35 am »

Duly noted Wink

How about a bandolier full of boomsticks? Hmm.. might go for that one myself, actually.. Cheesy

Then you HAVE to wear the prospector's hat (wide brim, turned up in the front), and a dusty leather vest!  And grow a beard and knock out three quarters of your teeth...

Hehe...  I may have to try that, for a slightly more...  eccentric, if you will, persona.  Granted, I'm  not phsycially ABLE to grow a PROPER beard (it's all patchy and stuff, never gets really long, either...), and my wife might take issue with me knocking out my teeth!  hehe

I need to make some replica M24s and 39s, something about the potato masher and a nice boobytrap grenade just make me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 11:10:03 am »

Duly noted Wink

It is a cool idea, but for now, I 'only' needed a idea or two for said dagger sheath Smiley
Paul 8v
Officer

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »

I saw this thread title and thought the crazy colonists had started seeling these in Walmart! You can already buy guns in there...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: