The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 04:46:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $.79 sticks of dynamite  (Read 12000 times)
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« on: September 12, 2010, 06:39:10 pm »

A 79 cents broom handle, cut to 10 inch pieces. Brown packaging paper, cut to size so I could feed it to my printer. A few pieces of string, some hot glue and a little tape.. a little crooked, but hey, looks good enough to me.. Smiley

The pics don't show it, but there are 3 lines of text. The first lists the detonation speed, weight and year of manufacture, the second is the large DYNAMITE text, and the third reads "Alfred Nobel & Co Nitroglycerin Company.

The text:

Legba
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Liberté Pour Toutes

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:53:23 pm »

Assez bon!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
Herkimer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 07:27:48 pm »

Very spiffy!

Be sure to leave that out of your carry on luggage though.
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:19:15 pm »

Nice! But I was hoping for a link to a sale on dynamite...

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:21:49 pm »

I bet if you sold them, they would go like a bomb.  Grin

my topper, cloak & cane please Jeeves

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 08:32:04 pm »

Lol, I could toss some up on Etsy, but I think it would violate their rules..
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »

Maybe sell it as a DIY kit?  Like, precut broomstics and printed paper, all they have to do is put it together!  Just a thought...

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:21:53 pm »

this would be much better in my opinion if done on a red paper and then you add discoloration and droplets of yellow clear *glistening* dried(to make easier to handle in real life) stuff to it for having the option of really old left over and highly unstable sticks Cheesy now we need a how to on making a crate to store it in Cheesy:D:D:D

(maybe modgepodge? thickened resin)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:23:41 pm by architect » Logged

greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 04:59:05 am »

I've been wanting to make these for years, mostly after watching the 1999 Mummy.  It was never something I got around to though.  These are fantastic.

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Story
Officer

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:23:25 am »

T'were you in the US, I'd say enjoy the inevitable dog-pile proctological exam by local, state and Federal Law Enforcement.

Perhaps the Netherlands' police are more laid back. How do they feel about those little red muzzle caps on non-guns?

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
DocDodge
Gunner

For many problems, high exploves are the answer.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:09:19 am »

Y'know, some German blackhead aluminum powder, potassium chlorate, sulphur, and a touch of iron oxide would make your 'fake' explosives much more 'useful'. Cheesy

Eccentricity is not insanity or a danger to society, stupidity is.
blain
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:39 am »

I hate to nitpick, but the dynamite font looks a lot like Rockwell, which wasn't created until 1934, nearly 50 years after your dynamite was manufactured.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarendon_(typeface) however was created in 1845.
The Inventor
Snr. Officer

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 10:35:09 pm »

I hate to nitpick, but the dynamite font looks a lot like Rockwell, which wasn't created until 1934, nearly 50 years after your dynamite was manufactured.

Historical accuracy ?!

"Steam Punk needs historical Accuracy, like an airship needs a Goldfish.,"- Dianna Vick.
The Inventor
Snr. Officer

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 10:38:56 pm »

Your sticks are quite nice.
   I agree that a red paper is more iconic, however I've never seen that they were "always red".
Nor have I seen anything on the discoloration of their wrappings over the passage of time. 
   Basically it rocks dude.

As for the USA, and the "issues" you'd have facing you for making / carrying it.
If you're not annoying / menacing / disturbing the peace ( on public land ) they can't touch you.
And if you're on private land, well you can do almost anything. Unless you lived in some crazy
place like New York city or something.

It's not something I'd take on a bus, taxi or plane were I headed to a party. And I'd have it wrapped
with a large clear note explaining this was fake, for entertainment only. After all you can buy stuff like this at costume stores at Halloween !

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 11:17:06 pm »

Strictly for cons / fantasy festivals, etc. Only ever visible when in-costume.. I think it should be ok..

As far as the font goes.. well, if that's the only real criticism, I can live with that.. after all, the 'fuse' is just a piece of rough string, braided and tied together.. and the paper I used for wrapping has the store's logo on the other side, lol! (luckily not visible)
blain
Deck Hand

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:09 pm »

Historical accuracy ?!

"Steam Punk needs historical Accuracy, like an airship needs a Goldfish.,"- Dianna Vick.

I can't help it, I'm a stickler for typefaces.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 03:06:31 pm »

For the sake of accuracy should not the weight and burn speed be in imperial measures not these newfangled centemetric units??

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 03:09:02 pm »

For the sake of accuracy should not the weight and burn speed be in imperial measures not these newfangled centemetric units??

Tssk.. Nobel wasn't born in the Empire or any of its colonies.. Wink
Dr Insidious T BoneHammer
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 03:16:57 pm »

I think that with items like this.... it's best NOT to have it look so authentic.  Sure you could easily get cannon fuse from your local friendly neighborhood armament store but why?  You would be just that much closer to getting into REAL trouble.  It looks awesome and gets the idea across just fine the way it is, maybe a touch campy but that's perfect.   Too much realism might cause folks to get nervous and jerky.  Then again, maybe I'm just paranoid.    

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain

Corporal Grease - Her Majesty's Own Mars Engineers

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »

...and priced at 9/6?
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 03:56:30 pm »

I think that with items like this.... it's best NOT to have it look so authentic.  Sure you could easily get cannon fuse from your local friendly neighborhood armament store but why?  You would be just that much closer to getting into REAL trouble.  It looks awesome and gets the idea across just fine the way it is, maybe a touch campy but that's perfect.   Too much realism might cause folks to get nervous and jerky.  Then again, maybe I'm just paranoid.    

I know.. I have actually decided not to take these to the upcomming festival. I'll take off the paper wrapping and replace it with something else. Maybe make 'm ACME-brand boomsticks or something.. better not to risk any trouble with the law.. Smiley
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 06:29:41 pm »

Absolutely top-hole! Now I know exactly where to come for the sort of thing you need to liven up a dull party or make Aunt Gwendolyn reconsider her plans to prolong her visit. And relatively safe if the  Angry little darlings Angry should get hold of some.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 08:02:24 pm »

I know.. I have actually decided not to take these to the upcomming festival. I'll take off the paper wrapping and replace it with something else. Maybe make 'm ACME-brand boomsticks or something.. better not to risk any trouble with the law.. Smiley

Perhaps "Farmer's All-Purpose Tool:  Gair-N-teed to Remove Gophers, Stumps, and DRASTICLY Reduce the Flight Potential of Alien Spacecraft!"(-From "Spaced Invaders")? 

I also like the Boomstick idea...  heh...  Then you'd be carrying around a "Fistfull of Boomstick!" ha ha ha ha... ha...  ok, why am I the only one laughing?   Embarrassed
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 08:58:41 pm »

Blain - Clarendon would work, but it is dead common these days.  Could you suggest something for a similar application that would be approximately correct, but at the same time be very evocative of the late 19th c.?

I have lots of fonts, but I just can't seem to find something that would look right without looking cartoonish.

Thanks

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
blain
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 10:55:55 am »

Here are a few resources for Victorian fonts.
http://www.fontscape.com/explore?7RW
http://www.p22.com/P22_2004/Frames/browse.html

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: