The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:18:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brass Goggles ring  (Read 33269 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 06:46:48 am »

English pewter has come to represent a strictly-controlled alloy, specified by BSEN611-1 and British Standard 5140, consisting mainly of tin (ideally 92%), with the balance made up of antimony and copper. Significantly, it is free of lead and nickel. Although the exact percentages vary between manufacturers, a typical standard for present-day pewter is approximately 91% tin, 7.5% antimony and 1.5% copper.

From the 15th century onwards, the composition of English pewter was carefully protected by the Worshipful Company of Pewterers in London

or

Britannia metal or britannium is a pewter-type alloy favoured for its silvery appearance and smooth surface.

they should melt at a low enough temperature so that glass beads warmed in the mold would survive the casting process to make glass lenses. If you make a wax bas form you could make the strap one size and adjust it on a mandril to fit differant ring sizes. make a mold to make wax casts with the adjustable size,  for using in lost wax casting in lots.

Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 08:20:13 am »

I'd certainly be interested  Grin

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:53 am »

How do you get such amazing detail into such a tiny article!!?Huh You clever dicky!

I'd like one as well...please.

By the way...how does it de-code?

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Victoria The Mistress
Snr. Officer

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 08:40:54 am »

And me!! Herr Doktor you are a genius!!! Kiss

(I'd like a silver AND a gold toned one please,as in one of each, not a hybrid, to compliment my entire wardrobe!)
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 08:43:07 am »

A lovely piece of work but, not being a fan of goggles, I'll pass. Tongue

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 08:59:34 am »

There is a perfectly acceptable altenative to brass which is less toxic, keeps its shine better and can pass for brass. It is called gold.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 09:06:29 am »

Would be happy to get a batch cast - in brass of course.

I have made some brass rings in the past. All I can say is that brass does horrid things to the skin when worn for prolonged periods and there are worries about  metal poisoning to be thought of. If one is going to use brass I would suggest chrome-ing it prior to wearing. Brass also does not keep a very good shine when worn and one would spend a great deal of time trying to keep it from looking like a piece of brown fuzzy metal.

Of course I can cast it in pewter, silver, gold, gold plated pewter or bronze.  We can also lacquer the piece if required.  My comment about brass was a homage to this place I apologise if the tone didn't come across.

I am not sure what you mean about metal poisoning though.  Although some people may react allergically to brass (The same could be said of many other metals) I am not aware of any poisonous effects from brass when worn. Copper and zinc can be a problem if ingested in large quantities but I don't think anyone would intend to eat these.  (There are some issues around zinc fumes and heavy metals used to get crispness in the cast but these relate to foundry workers rather than end users).

Let's have a conversation about the ring at The Asylum Herr Doktor.  We could have a batch in pewter (with an option to gold plate) ready in time for Christmas pressies.

BE SPLENDID!
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 09:10:06 am »

oooo me me me  Smiley

Please  Cool
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:26:24 am by OswaldBastable » Logged

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:37 am »

There is a perfectly acceptable altenative to brass which is less toxic, keeps its shine better and can pass for brass. It is called gold.

Yes, but gold is expensive, my friend.  Have you checked the price lately?
(see www.kitco.com, from what I see most of us are not, shall we say, "at liberty to part freely with money?")

Silver is still a much more viable option, even today being relatively inexpensive.

I don't suppose anyone has considered Precious Metal Clay?  Essentially a clay that looks and molds like porcelain, it is made of ultrafine particles of silver, gold and now even copper and bronze.  The matrix is a water or oil-soluble compound that burns away and around 800-900 Centigrade, the metal powder syntherizes.  The result is a slightly spongy (but not to the eye), yet 100% pure silver metal (Gold is 18kt pure I think).  I'm currently firing my own silver pieces for future projects.

Unfortunately the method is not cheap enough for batches, since the clay is 100%-200% more expensive than the solid metal by weight, so if everybody wants one, it might be cheaper to hire a jeweler to cast properly.

As far as toxicity of brass, I think *some* types of brass contain lead, butI've been told most alloys don't have it. It is included for ductility and softness during machining (like keys)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:27:14 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

NazT
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:47 am »

What a stonkingly good ring!!!  I would like one!!  

[edit]Oopsie where are my manners.... Please.  So sorry.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:18:58 am by NazT » Logged
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 09:26:51 am »

Silver is frowned upon due to toxic effects to members of the were community.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 09:29:43 am »

Silver is frowned upon due to toxic effects to members of the were community.

Oh! Give me a break!  So you are a werewolf? Esquire by day wolf by night?
Lord Nicholas Horsethorn
Snr. Officer

Anomalographer Royal

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 09:31:27 am »

Of course I can cast it in pewter, silver, gold, gold plated pewter or bronze.

Could I be considered for the list please?

Pretty please can I have one in silver? a) to match my other rings and b) because gold reacts strangely with my skin.

Yours pleadingly
Lord Nick
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:05 am »

As far as toxicity of brass, I think *some* types of brass contain lead, butI've been told most alloys don't have it. It is included for ductility and softness during machining (like keys)

Once again unless you actually eat the rings this is not a problem.  Lead is not generally absorbed through the skin* but is a problem in fumes (hence lead txicity amongst foundry workers or people who work with hot lead) or dissolves readily in stomoach acid.  The majority of cases of lead toxicity in children is due to them eating lead.  Of course you can get lead poisoning from fragments of bullets or shrapnel left inside the body so I would strongly urge people not to shoot someone with a brass ring. Grin

*Powdered lead or lead dust can be absorbed particularly following exertion creating acidic conditions on the skin but you would need to be constantly exposed to a lot of lead (e.g. working in a mill where lead is machined).

(Sorry for derailling the thread a little to talk about metal toxicity)

The ring is superb.  It could be produced economically in English pewter (thus legally be exported to the US)  We can patinate and/or gold plate the ring too.  This would be the cheapest and easiest method of reproducing it.  Bronze is an alternative which is popularly used for rings.  This would be more expensive particularly if a range of sizes were required.  It could also be made using cire perdue methods in any precious metal as required.  These would of course be much more expensive.

Of course Herr Doktor might prefer to keep his as a unique one off.

Herr Doktor, why not get your people to call my people.  They can do lunch!   (See you at the weekend Sir)

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:25 am »

I would strongly urge people not to shoot someone with a brass ring. Grin

Man! You took the fun out of the whole thing! That should be a good self-defence alternative... Roll Eyes
Lord Nicholas Horsethorn
Snr. Officer

Anomalographer Royal

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 09:46:38 am »

I would strongly urge people not to shoot someone with a brass ring. Grin

Man! You took the fun out of the whole thing! That should be a good self-defence alternative... Roll Eyes

But will there be an option for a hidden poison compartment? Or perhaps a larger version which doubles as 'brass knuckles'?

Lord Nick
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:51 am »

*snip* so I would strongly urge people not to shoot someone with a brass ring. Grin *snip*

That reminds me of a scene from The Crow, in Gideon's pawn shop, where he loads a shotgun with rings and fires it. Tongue
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 09:54:57 am »

I am a lawyer so the undead and weres show me professional courtesy as a fellow member of the eternally damned.

Herr Doktor, slightly off thread, but have you considered making a cane head? I am sure you would make a first rate knob!

Seriously, there is a lack of steampunk specific cane heads, there are a couple of nice compass heads but nothing especially sculpted, and too many people have to make do with a door knob, or my own choice canal boat tiller pins. A raygun (your signature piece), airship or air kraken would make a nice piece in brass or silver effect, or even cast in resin as mock ivory, and could be used for umbrellas and parasol mods as well as canes. There is a cane making and collector community outside of steampunk who would also be attracted to such a piece.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:04 am »

That reminds me of a scene from The Crow, in Gideon's pawn shop, where he loads a shotgun with rings and fires it. Tongue

Grin  I forgot about that!  That's what I'm talking about.

I'll check on this thread later...it's pretty late over here, I must catch some sleep (and I'll keep the silver cross handy, in case of Esquire werewolves on the loose!), but the way things are going, by tomorrow this thread will become very long indeed  Grin
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2010, 10:10:09 am »

I would also like one….
However, I don't wear rings.
Is there any chance of the same basic shape but as some sort of pin badge.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 10:22:16 am »

Herr Doktor, slightly off thread, but have you considered making a cane head? I am sure you would make a first rate knob!

Oo, er, missus!!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2010, 10:27:28 am »

I would also like one….
However, I don't wear rings.
Is there any chance of the same basic shape but as some sort of pin badge.

You could always wear it on a chain around your neck...
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 10:28:13 am »

But will there be an option for a hidden poison compartment?

If there is the Countess will probably want one, too. Very big on poisoner jewellery is the Countess.(she's not called Countess Cyanide for nothing!). Although she only wears silver.
NazT
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 10:53:07 am »

If there is the Countess will probably want one, too. Very big on poisoner jewellery is the Countess.(she's not called Countess Cyanide for nothing!). Although she only wears silver.
Ah but this could have 2 compartments!!  Cheesy lol
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 11:02:38 am »

Ah but this could have 2 compartments!!  Cheesy lol

One for the poison...and one for the antidote?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: