The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 11:57:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about paint  (Read 811 times)
Miss Match
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: September 07, 2010, 09:26:07 pm »

1) When to use spray paint?
2)How do you get the smell of paint off of whatever you're modding?  (esp. goggles)
3) How to get modelling/spray paint off skin?
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:45:56 pm »

1) Spray paint is generally used to get a smooth, even finish over a relatively large areas quickly. It has the disadvantage that it can tend to fill in fine detail if you're not careful. For model and prop making etc spray cans are generally used mostly for primers and base coats. Using air driven spray equipment (airbrushes etc) will give a much greater degree of control and quality of finish than cans. Also spraying requires good ventilation since the propellants in cans and the paint mist itself can be harmful. In skilled hands spraying can also be used to get very fine control over transparency and tonal graduations for example airbrushes are usually the preferred method of painting flesh tones on prosthetics and 'monster suits' etc.

2) IF you use the appropriate paint for the material then any smell should disappear on its own once the paint has fully cured (this may take a few days). Acrylic paints have virtually no odour wet or dry. The smell of oil paints can hang around a lot longer but they have very limited uses in model making etc.

2) Most paints should wash off skin with soap and water relatively easily with perhaps a bit of scrubbing. It's also a good idea to use gloves and/or barrier cream with any solvent based paint or if removing all traces from your skin is a high priority.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Miss Match
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:26:09 pm »

Also, how do you remove spray paint from plastic?
Thomas MSwift
Officer

@AdmiralSwift
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:11:08 pm »

Minor overspray can be removed (before it's totally dry) with a cotton swab dipped in mineral spirits or paint thinner. This you do in GOOD VENTILATION...solvent vapours are bad to inhale! Lighter fluid (for the liquid-fueled Zippo lighters) is a good paint and goo solvent as well.
  If you want to strip off a whole coat of spray paint, you have two basic options:
 1) Sand it off. This risks loss of your surface detail and takes either electrical power or elbow grease.
 2) Use Easy-Off spray-on oven cleaner. This, once again, needs to be done in a well-vented area, but it will strip the paint off and usually not damage the plastic beneath.

"The realm between planets is filled with the luminiferous ether."
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 05:01:20 am »

I'm given to understand that model railroaders often use warm brake fluid and an old toothbrush to strip factory paint off styrene models. Of course, it will depend on the paint; you should first test it on a non-visible part of the plastic, then on a non-visible part of the paint, and get a new toothbrush for the bathroom...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:24:16 am »

warm? D.O.T 3 through 5 will eat clean through paint. FAST.
 it also eats through plastic. some concrete and skin. REALLY FAST.

temperature doesn't really matter.

brake fluid is serious business.

The more bleak the day. The less I behave as if Everything black can wash away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: