The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 08:25:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy Clockwork Entomology  (Read 973 times)
BeeBeetle
Swab

United States United States

« on: September 07, 2010, 05:51:20 pm »

Lurking in the shadows is only fun for so long. So many very impressive ideas here, it can be overwhelming wow!

I wanted to post up a few pictures of some items we (the hubby and I) have been working on the last couple months. We wanted to take our love for entomology and vintage clocks and create a non-traditional way to display them.

We have upcycled alot of vintage Westclox and Seth Thomas clocks, as well as Hammond and Linden. We do all of the insect spreading as well. So far they are just displays but we are trying to wrap our heads around how to mechanize them, (maybe not to tell time but to do something  Smiley).  Please let me know what you think.

If you like to see more pictures (angles and interiors) you can find them at http://beeisforbeetle.blogspot.com/ or http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeeBeetle.

Since this is my first post, if this is not the best place for them please let me know as well.
- Bee
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:04:07 pm »

Very nice.
Beautiful and interesting.

- Maximilian
Pike
Snr. Officer

Failed the Turing Test

pikestaff
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:22:27 pm »

Very interesting concept, I like it... I think my favorite is the one on the very bottom lower right; I like the colors and the wear and tear on the clock.

"The law of entropy has been losing steam lately..."
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:36:42 pm »

The middle one on the top row is simply stunning!
How do you get your specimens?

I know of some mechanized beetles (scarabs) in a computer game called Myst. I found some footage of it.
It starts at about 0.11 seconds

realRiven - The Gate Room - Test 2
BeeBeetle
Swab

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:48:37 pm »

Thanks for the complements on our work. And the link to Myst. It's been fun to do.

We order the specimens from a few different companies. Insect World, Exo Insect and a few others. The specimens usually arrive with no issues. We try to only order from businesses that insect farm in a responsible and renewable manner.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: