The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 19, 2019, 01:05:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And so it begins....  (Read 5390 times)
Mnemoria
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »

Though I have observed that extortion can be enhanced with both carrots and sharp pointy sticks.

Ever conscious of the need to recycle and reuse I have created a new form of motivation based on sharp pointy carrots.

Sirrah, I doff my hat to your ingenuity.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 05:11:26 pm »

Allow me to start by saying there is little wrong in being a social chameleon. The first bite as they say is "with the eye" and some peoples thing, is to be many things. Sure you also have people who are more generally following a trend, this month and years "look".

Again it is important to realise that some peoples culture is one of change, refusing to be pinned down by any one thing (as they see it) always being current, up to date and surfing the bleeding edge of the Zeitgeist.

This becomes unfortunately unstuck when your taking on the visage of a subculture that has idiom behind the image. This is not an elitist thing just a matter of fact. Dress up like a doctor or policeman and expect to be treated as if you have the knowledge that goes with the look.

Asking pertinent questions to those who cannot "blag it" (difficult at the best of times) quickly reveals them to be the social chameleon they are. It is as they say impossible for everyone to know everything about everything and a quick chat usually separates the fibre from the fabric. This is in no way Goggle policeish for 2 main reasons:

1) We all crave meaningful conversation and interaction. Social Chameleonics makes that more difficult to obtain as signs and metaphor mean little.

2) Surfing the bleeding edge is all well and good when your young, but by your mid-thirties the "new look" might be misconstrued as trying to recapture glories past. Classic will out and quality wears well.

I don't consider Elitism to be a pass time where one can enjoy interesting conversation with enthusiastic people. Whilst offering copious opportunities to further knowledge and skill, with a look that will still look good when I hit my 80's year. I call that a life choice.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 03:36:04 am »

I've had a spot of trouble with the factory we've outsourced the decoder rings with, so the next shipment is again delayed.  (Blasted Ruritanian labour unions.)  Apologies to all who have paid their Council Dues and are still awaiting delivery.

Perhaps a member of The Steampunk Mercenary Guild may be of some assistance in resolving a labour dispute. (Though you may find using them to incentivise management may produce fewer martyrs and a faster resolution to the issues)

Since the fall of the Iron Curtain, Ruritanian politics has been a never-ending series of assassinations, defenestrations, and (since they are still about a century behind the rest of civilised Europe) bomb-throwing Anarchists.  Adding the SMG to the mix would be like adding pepper to curry; probably not be noticed at all, or if it is noticed your efforts would be attributed to a splinter group of the Ruritanian Popular Front.

I appreciate the offer, but I believe old-fashioned extortion would be more productive.

Actually, due to the unsettled state of Ruritanian politics, I believe the Ruritanians outsourced the entire job to the Elbonians. I understand the order has been complete for some time now, but that the trucks are up to their doors in the mud, and because of the ongoing border dispute with Probonia, the entire region is closed to foreign airship traffic...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 04:20:13 am »

or if it is noticed your efforts would be attributed to a splinter group of the Ruritanian Popular Front.

Well they are dirty splitters anyway.  everyone knows that the Popular Front for Ruritania are the true patriots and freedom fighters for the proletariat downtrodden and oppressed by the capitalist monkeys in power.  After the revolution honest labour will be rewarded as it should be and the exploitations of the rich shall earn their deserved reward - a final cigarette and a bullet...

Freedom for Ruritania!

(Music)  Ruritania the motherland, home of us all
                       Ruritania she calls to us, to stand free and tall
                           Throw off the chains of slavery
                              Fight back in truth and bravery
                                 For all that we want to see
                                        Ruritania stands free....  (Music ends)

(This was a party political broadcast by the PFfR - the views contained herein may not be representative of the person conveying the message on behalf of the PFfR)
Not to be confused with the "Popular Front of Ruritania" or the "Ruritanian Peoples Front".
 Arvis Allmost sorry.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:35:15 am by Arvis » Logged

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:08 am »

The Ruritanian peasants are revolting  Grin

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 10:27:31 am »

Yes, well, we already knew that. But what you forgot to mention is that they're uprising!

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 12:33:22 pm »

But what you forgot to mention is that they're uprising!
Does that mean that they'll soon be upstanding?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 12:42:58 pm »

We could easily quell them by providing a zeppelin full of stackable patio furniture.
My mate Phil the Easter Islander knows a fella that can get us a job lot at trade prices.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 11:28:52 pm »

I've had a spot of trouble with the factory we've outsourced the decoder rings with, so the next shipment is again delayed.  (Blasted Ruritanian labour unions.)  Apologies to all who have paid their Council Dues and are still awaiting delivery.

Oh, that's right, if I'm not busy enough, go and give me another idea that I just can't leave alone:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26441.msg589325.html#msg589325

Read your post at about noon, and had the thing finished by six.

DARN IT!!!

Wink

Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 09:39:52 am »

Oh, that's right, if I'm not busy enough, go and give me another idea that I just can't leave alone:

DARN IT!!!

Wink

Sir, you are an inspiration to us all!
I tip my hat to you.
NazT
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 10:56:59 am »

DARN IT!!!

Wink
But my good man it wasnt the fact that you had the idea and made it that is causing you strife, it was the fact that you ended the post with the outstanding phrase "Anyone else want one?". Cheesy
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 11:13:46 am »

DARN IT!!!

Wink

Despite the loss of dignity it entails I find myself making "grabby hands" at the new ring.

(The "grabby hands" part being undignified, not the ring itself, mind you.  I want to be perfectly clear on that point.)

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 01:11:38 pm »

Dr what have you started  Grin we'll be building secret lodges next (cunningly disguised as Pubs)
NazT
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 01:44:51 pm »

Dr what have you started  Grin we'll be building secret lodges next (cunningly disguised as Pubs)
Now THAT sir is a top hole Idea!!
Lord Nicholas Horsethorn
Snr. Officer

Anomalographer Royal

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 02:01:41 pm »

I'm sorry, but this idea has been copyrighted by the Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn.

We are, in fact, having a meeting during the Asylum, at Lodge #635/91, the 'Lion and Snake' as it is known to the unsuspecting public.

Lord Nick

...actually just an excuse to mention the Philosophical Rendezvous again...
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 02:38:52 pm »

cunningly subtle  Wink
Nex
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2010, 04:33:03 pm »

We all weren't neo-vics before finding out about steampunk...

Some of us still aren't neo-vics.
 Wink

jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 04:35:22 pm »

We all weren't neo-vics before finding out about steampunk...

Some of us still aren't neo-vics.
 Wink

some of us will never be neo-vics
 Grin

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 01:19:28 pm »

Grin

Wait a minute!! Rampant racism, sexism, child labour, genocidal imperialism & rickets, what's not to love?
Hang on a second there's a poor person over there I'm going to have to beat to death with my walking cane, back it a tick...
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 08:31:40 pm »

Grin

Wait a minute!! Rampant racism, sexism, child labour, genocidal imperialism & rickets, what's not to love?
Hang on a second there's a poor person over there I'm going to have to beat to death with my walking cane, back it a tick...

A gentleman does not use his cane for WALKING! It's a SWAGGERING cane! it goes under your arm, or, if need be, up a peasant's nostril! xD

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: