The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2019, 01:13:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: East Indian Feminine Aesthetic for Steampunk?  (Read 21920 times)
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Blithely combining Comestibles and Combustibles

« on: September 01, 2010, 06:49:04 pm »

I wear saris on a fairly regular basis because they make my happy (all that fabric! No cutting or sewing errors!).  I would like to blend saris or other outfit styles like lenga and choli or salwar kameez with Steampunk, but especially saris.

Has anyone else worked on/with this?  I have ideas in my head, but would love to know what others have created!
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:53:40 am »

I don't have a sari but I use sari fabric in a lot of my works.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Lady Felis
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:39:52 pm »

I too have used sari fabric to make outfits

also i believe members of Sunday Driver http://www.sundaydriver.co.uk/ use 'Indian' clothing styles

Lady Fe

"We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment.
Except for the few we take home to experiment."
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:47:31 pm »

I love saris but always feel a tad self-concious that mine emphasises my most unflattering feature (ie midriff hanging out is not an attractive look!  Smiley )

I did experiment with a sari/corset combo at Wave Gotik Treffen this year
which worked up until the moment I nipped to the loo after lunch! Fortunately I was not too far from the hotel to get changed into a more practical outfit but it is something I want to look into for a future event - I think I need to "cheat" and fix a waistband to part of it, whilst still retaining the draped sari look, so that there is no risk of untucking at inopportune moments.  Smiley
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »

Thank you all for sharing!  The use of the fabric the several outfits is beautiful and the sari-corset combo is really striking!  I had not heard of Sunday Driver and promptly bookmarked their site - thank you!
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »

I love saris but always feel a tad self-concious that mine emphasises my most unflattering feature (ie midriff hanging out is not an attractive look!  Smiley )

which worked up until the moment I nipped to the loo after lunch! Fortunately I was not too far from the hotel to get changed into a more practical outfit but it is something I want to look into for a future event - I think I need to "cheat" and fix a waistband to part of it, whilst still retaining the draped sari look, so that there is no risk of untucking at inopportune moments.  Smiley

Are you tucking the sari into a petticoat or cord around your waist under the corset?  How was the outfit received?
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:18:03 am »

Are you tucking the sari into a petticoat or cord around your waist under the corset?  How was the outfit received?

Yep, i had the sari tucked into the petticoat (and safety-pinned as extra precaution!) then the corset went over that, before finally draping the decorative end over it all.  The problem was that it was slightly difficult to readjust after visiting the loos - difficult to bend down to straighten out the skirt layers when one is corseted! If it came untucked it was impossible to redo without taking corset off, so I think I would need to cheat and stitch it in place.
The outfit received compliments from the few who saw it, before i had to dash back to hotel to change into my emergency outfit!  Smiley
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:08:24 am »

I used a traditional block printed Indian cotton for my safari bustle overskirt. I have some salwar kameez but I have not yet worn them in a steam context.

A Close Up of the fabric:

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Uploaded Lobster
Snr. Officer

Phylum: Arthropoda; Class: Victoriana

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 04:24:48 am »

My airship commodore uses a sari wrapped fish-tail style instead of an underskirt, and a bustled overskirt on top of that. Still loose and blousy about the legs and quite feminine but much more conducive to striding around authoritatively. A bit of fringe on the hanging end of the pallu is a nice touch. I also use gaiters to bind them from ankle to knee--makes the rest even poofier in comparison, which I really like the look of.

A distinct bonus to this style of wrap is that one can use the loo without undressing anything. Just part the folds and take care of the matter at hand.
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 04:39:31 am »

My airship commodore uses a sari wrapped fish-tail style instead of an underskirt, and a bustled overskirt on top of that. Still loose and blousy about the legs and quite feminine but much more conducive to striding around authoritatively. A bit of fringe on the hanging end of the pallu is a nice touch. I also use gaiters to bind them from ankle to knee--makes the rest even poofier in comparison, which I really like the look of.

A distinct bonus to this style of wrap is that one can use the loo without undressing anything. Just part the folds and take care of the matter at hand.

I'm toying with another 'pants' style wrap - the Kaccha drape, where the front pleats get passed between the legs from front hem to back waist - with a corset or fitted vest n blouse on top.  I think I'm liking the 'fishtail' wrap shown in the link a bit better!
amauzume21
Snr. Officer

Captain Helena Isis Danveers of the airship Nut

amauzume
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 07:51:48 am »

Just the thread I looking for!  I was looking ways to spice up my steampunk outfits.  My persona is Helena Danveer an airship outlaw turned legitimate explorer who travels with her scholar partner/lover.  I want her dress oufit and casual outfit to bear ethnic influence because of her chosen 'career'.  I don't have any pictures of her casual outfit (still working the kinks) but casual and dress outfits have the color scheme.  Here's the dress outfit:
The casual outfit has a suede corset the same color as the dress, a short sleveed white blouse and black capris.  Any suggestions would be lovely.  Thanks a million,  Capt. Helena Isis Danvers.

'The beatings will continue until morale improves...'
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 11:35:09 am »

that sounds like a lovely combination.  I do need to have a think at how to work with my sari, shame to have it languishing in my dressing up box!
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 01:59:59 am »

Just the thread I looking for!  I was looking ways to spice up my steampunk outfits.  My persona is Helena Danveer an airship outlaw turned legitimate explorer who travels with her scholar partner/lover.  I want her dress oufit and casual outfit to bear ethnic influence because of her chosen 'career'.  I don't have any pictures of her casual outfit (still working the kinks) but casual and dress outfits have the color scheme.  Here's the dress outfit:
The casual outfit has a suede corset the same color as the dress, a short sleveed white blouse and black capris.  Any suggestions would be lovely.  Thanks a million,  Capt. Helena Isis Danvers.

Hmmm...  embroidered slippers for shoes?  An embroidered kufi-style hat?  Flowing chiffon scarf to play with?  Belt or sash with jingling coins worn loosely at a diagonal over capri trousers?  Looking forward to seeing it!
costumemercenary
Officer

Not a True Steampunk

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 10:56:53 am »

I know belly dancers are a world apart, but you might have some inspiration from looking at the steampunk belly dancer/ harem girl thread.

The Costume Mercenary presents the Dashing yet Practical Steampunk Coat, designed for gentle-person Inventors, sanity-impaired Scientists, Tech-Priests
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 01:09:43 am »

It does indeed seem to be baby steps at present madame. But I have a sneaky suspicion that Steampunk and Bollywood may well be on the verge of a very passionate affair!

http://www.polyvore.com/bollywood_steampunk/set?id=4968525

I didn't initially notice this was two years old, but still it will doubtlessly be a very effective idea and certainly worth developing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:51:51 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
amauzume21
Snr. Officer

Captain Helena Isis Danveers of the airship Nut

amauzume
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 05:27:44 am »

Question about sarees.

I found this luscious green saree on ebay and one of the services they offer is pre-stitching.

What is that, what does it do and should I get it?
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 11:37:15 pm »

I too have used sari fabric to make outfits
also i believe members of Sunday Driver http://www.sundaydriver.co.uk/ use 'Indian' clothing styles

Lady Fe

I can confirm that that sari dress is wonderful. the fabric draped beautifully and the cut worked very well with all the trim parts looking splendid and shiny.

Slippers?!?!?!?! o wow, someone needs to post a picture or link!

A sari pleated skirt onto the bottom of a swiss waist would be lovely and give a corseted look.
i'm going to be trying to post some pictures on the bellydancer thread very soon that i've collected from period sources of costume and theatre books so it might be worth checking up at some point.

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 12:37:27 am »

It does indeed seem to be baby steps at present madame. But I have a sneaky suspicion that Steampunk and Bollywood may well be on the verge of a very passionate affair!

http://www.polyvore.com/bollywood_steampunk/set?id=4968525

I didn't initially notice this was two years old, but still it will doubtlessly be a very effective idea and certainly worth developing.

Oooh!  I like where this is going, style-wise!
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 12:44:01 am »

Question about sarees.

I found this luscious green saree on ebay and one of the services they offer is pre-stitching.

What is that, what does it do and should I get it?

Could be one of two things : 

One, when a sari comes off the loom, it's one long length with the selvage edges being the top and bottom hem so to speak.  Think of a long rectangle/oblong of fabric.  The two 'short' ends will be raw or unfinished.  These need to be given a hem.  Generally, it's fairly simple to turn these two short hems oneself.  The blouse piece, if included, can appear at either short end.  One can leave it on or cut it off.  Might look odd left on if it comes after the decorative/fancy pallu part that is often draped over the shoulder.

Two, they may refer to the 'fall' being stitched or prestitched.  The fall is a long narrow strip of coordinating fabric sewn along the inside bottom edge of the initial, say, one third of the sari to protect the hem from dragging and wear.  Like a lining ruffle on a long skirt.  It's nice to have this done for you. 

Hope this is of help  Smiley
paisley
Swab

paisleypenguin
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 12:19:14 am »

@ vampyresheep.  Your outfit is amazing!  I just found this thread as I too am looking to encorporate sari fabric and east indian styles in to my Steampunk attire.  Specifically for Steamcon III.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 10:30:48 am »

@ vampyresheep.  Your outfit is amazing!  I just found this thread as I too am looking to encorporate sari fabric and east indian styles in to my Steampunk attire.  Specifically for Steamcon III.

Thank you! :-)  I still need to have a rethink about how to make this outfit more practical to wear, been put on the back-burner since a few other projects came up but I do want to make more use of this sari later this year - want more colour in my wardrobe again!!
Radha Narasimhan
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »

My Steampunk persona is a gypsy pirate from India and I also use alot of Indian clothing with my character.  Have done so far- dhoti with kurti and steampunk harness (very easy to wear).  Chaniya choli with corset (very easy to wear).  Sari with bodice.  9 yard sari (draped dhoti style as "pants" with bodice (harder to wear- but my favorite look so far).  Lots of possibilities.  I also used a sari as fabric for a Steampunk Mardi Gras ensemble I made.  Would love to see more Steampunk with curry flavor Wink
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 10:41:06 pm »

My Steampunk persona is a gypsy pirate from India and I also use alot of Indian clothing with my character.  Have done so far- dhoti with kurti and steampunk harness (very easy to wear).  Chaniya choli with corset (very easy to wear).  Sari with bodice.  9 yard sari (draped dhoti style as "pants" with bodice (harder to wear- but my favorite look so far).  Lots of possibilities.  I also used a sari as fabric for a Steampunk Mardi Gras ensemble I made.  Would love to see more Steampunk with curry flavor Wink

I wear lots of saris in the mundane world and plan to work some into my Steampunk outfits.  Would love to see any pictures you care to share  Smiley
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 11:53:25 pm »

a couple of friends of mine have western/japanese attire, it's really interesting how people are combining the different cultures
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

aka Helga Von Flam, Lady Aviatrix Extraordinaire

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 12:29:31 am »

ooh yes! i like Vampyre-sheeps sari dress as does the fella)
i've worn a couple of sarees now, as my sister in law is Indian and wore them to her wedding to my Bro(in South Africa). They are great items to wear, though walking can be a pain!

infact, they'll be there at WOTW doing bar duties and hopefully i can persuade Paddy to wear one of her sarees!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:11:59 pm by r_is_for_rachel » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: