The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:45:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyberpunk fiction  (Read 1602 times)
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« on: March 02, 2007, 01:58:12 pm »

I'm aware that "cyber" is hardly "steampunk", but the common punkness I hope is sufficient to be allowed here.  Wink   So, here are some fragments from short stories set in a cyberpunk environment, inspired by some excellent illustrations by Christian Lorenz Scheurer.

There we men in the streets, carrying saints and crosses and wearing dark hoods as if they dared not glance at what had become of our world. The people called them "monks", which they tell me is an ancient word of which the meaning is now shredded in ignorance. I suppose we are not much alike, they and I, yet I cannot help but long for whatever it is that comforts their soul, living in this world of ours. With my own eyes have I seen the dark recesses of our time; the greed, the degradation---it troubles me. It troubles me and the knowledge that it will never change haunts me at night. And I pray, for something, for someone to tell me that there is another way; that there will be better times. But I know that it will never be so. We are for-ever caught in this ongoing cycle, this unchangeable Law that defines our nature. And no matter how hard I try, I fail to draw comfort from this cognition. Knowing that I cannot change fate does not lay my soul to rest---it frightens me. It frightens me to Death.

Space---a dark, cold, dead vacuum which all its repulsiveness despite, fills the soul with imagination, dreams, and hope. Bright lights sparkle in the night sky, and all throughout the galaxy men reach out for these stars longing to find that they are not alone in the universe. Yet the distance between stars, the vastness of space, cannot compare to that which separates us from one another. We are each alone . . . isolated, prisoners of our skulls, doing our best to reach the souls of others, but our best, our best is never good enough. Can we ever truly know another person? Can we ever really touch someone else?

The hand of her companion softly touched her neck, her shoulder, and reached out for her breast. But she took his hand and lay it to rest on her shoulder, his other hand holding her firmly above her hip. He gazed out into the dark with her, watching the lights of the City sparkling in the blackness of the night that seemed to last so long. She thought the City was beautiful at night: she liked the darkness. It concealed all that was wrong, all that cannot bare the light of day.

His hand slid slowly down, and she let him now. She was supposed to: this was what she was for after all. She let herself fall into his touch, still so gentle now. If only he could remain so gentle. If only he was always so soft, his touch . . .

She was afraid to turn on the lights. And she preferred it so. His body lay still on the bed. He may have been sleeping. She hoped she would be able to bare him children soon. She only had two more months. And she really cared for this one. If only she could give him a son. He wanted a son. If she could give him a son, he might care more for her. He might develop love for her. She needed to bare him a son, and then he would love her.

Should she wake him? Should she wake him and let him use her body again? She walked over to the bed and let herself fall on her knees besides him. She lay her hand on his head. He looked so peaceful asleep, so gentle. Like a child. Like a son.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:09:50 pm »

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I think   The Diamond Age or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer   by Neal Stephenson would be of interest to any Steampunk enthusiasist.
It really stradles the line between cyberpunk and steampunk.
Also, anyone familar with Ken Mcleod? I freaking love him!
I think The Sky Road is an alternative history/future many steampunks would find intriguing.

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
Radio Saturday
Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 03:09:53 pm »

Oh, I loved "The Diamond Age." The book had me enchanted from the exercise machines with caryatids, and it just got better from there. I loved the way it switched from an almost-contemporary setting to a high-tech/cyberpunk setting to a steampunk setting, and the writing was really nice -- smooth and polished. It felt like Stephenson enjoyed writing as much as telling a story, if that makes sense.  Smiley

OBSCURE
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2190763/1/">Anapura</a>
<a href="http://www.radiosaturday.com">Radio Saturday Press</a>
Charleson Mambo
Zeppelin Captain
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Cyberpunk is a Hello Kitty claymore mine.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 07:59:08 am »

Personally I would classify "The Diamond Age" as post-cyberpunk with characters that are steampunks, or at least Neo-Victorians. (Literally Neo-Victorian in this case.)

Charleson Mambo

--
To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.

The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology website: www.accanthology.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: