The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:31:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocketwatch Help  (Read 1011 times)
Xzavier_Heterodyne
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 24, 2010, 12:02:35 pm »

I recently puchased a (currently) non-working mechanical pocketwatch (i purchesd it knowing it did not work, it was £28).

I have had a look inside and the spring appears to have moved, (I thought i noticed a hair in the mechanism, upon examination with my loupe and apai of tweezers it was part of the spring that had unwound?)

I am just wondering if this should be expensive to get repaired? I have already been quoted about £80

I hope this makes sense
Pike
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Failed the Turing Test

pikestaff
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:56:19 pm »

Is it a newer or older pocketwatch?  And which spring are you referring to?

Pictures of the movement would be helpful also... although seeing as you already got a quote I would probably just go with that, assuming said person is knowledgeable and took a look at the watch already.  (Of course, I still want pictures, because I am a geek like that... *cough*)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:10:02 pm by Pike » Logged

"The law of entropy has been losing steam lately..."
Xzavier_Heterodyne
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:50 pm »

Is it a newer or older pocketwatch?
from the design on the outer back cover it appears to be Art Deco, but i could be wrong.

which spring are you referring to?
the main spring? the one that tightens when you wind it

Pictures of the movement would be helpful also... although seeing as you already got a quote I would probably just go with that, assuming said person is knowledgeable and took a look at the watch already.
will try to get pics. I hope they are knowledgeable (i enquired at timpsons, they do watches and shoes ect)

(Of course, I still want pictures, because I am a geek like that... *cough*)
Grin
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:57:40 pm »

80 sounds like a decent price for a general clean and service; they must not have thought there was much wrong with it.  For a simple mechanical lever watch, I tend to see between $50 and $150 for a basic service, depending on where exactly you live.  But make sure you're dealing with an actual watchmaker!  If the place that quoted you doesn't have a watchmaker "on site", you're better off finding a real watchmaker to look at it.  Some places have very interesting definitions of "clean and oil", but if it doesn't involve a complete dis assembly of everything, it isn't a proper job.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Xzavier_Heterodyne
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:51:58 am »

But make sure you're dealing with an actual watchmaker!  If the place that quoted you doesn't have a watchmaker "on site", you're better off finding a real watchmaker to look at it

Thanks Abslomrob, they don't have one on site, I'll look for somewhere that does.
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »

@Abslomrob @Xzavier_heterodyne

I'd have to agree with Rob.
I'd try and find a proper watchmaker.
The price is about right but the place .......... I'm not so sure.
A good way to tell is the waiting time.
The jewellers here have a 2 - 4 month waiting list on mechanical watches - because they have an excellent reputation.

Just my 2p  Smiley

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: