The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 09:02:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help finding material  (Read 679 times)
1helios1
Officer
United States United States

« on: August 24, 2010, 12:41:58 am »

i am working on a prop, and am in need of some plastic disks roughly 4.5 inches in diameter and 2/5ths of an inch high. i would machine it myself, but the diameter is to high for my hobby lathe. i have tried to find something online but have had no luck finding anything that matches the specifications well enough. so i turn to you good people in the hopes that you might have some suggestions about where i might buy such pieces, or how i might go about making them. i thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Reckless Engineer
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:49:00 am »

What swing does your lathe have? If it doesnt fit into the chuck you can friction turn them from sheet. I can hold upto 4 inch in my current chuck but i have friction turned upto 8inch no problem.
Drudwyn
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:10:53 am »

i am working on a prop, and am in need of some plastic disks roughly 4.5 inches in diameter and 2/5ths of an inch high. i would machine it myself, but the diameter is to high for my hobby lathe. i have tried to find something online but have had no luck finding anything that matches the specifications well enough. so i turn to you good people in the hopes that you might have some suggestions about where i might buy such pieces, or how i might go about making them. i thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

http://www.estreetplastics.com/

There's a link in the lower left corner of the page to ask about custom work.
Drudwyn
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:27:05 am »

If you have a table saw, there is also a possible solution there.  I've seen people cut perfect circles from plexi with a table saw.  

About half way through the vid they do a tutorial on cutting plexi rounds on a table saw, but make sure to listen to the whole video if you attempt this:

Dan R technique MOLD ACRYLIC PLEXI MAKE A PARABOLIC MIRROR CUT A CIRCLE SAW

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:30:20 am by Drudwyn » Logged
Reckless Engineer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:46:05 am »

This may be handy if you go down the friction turning rout Wink

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2946.0
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:48:55 am »

If the diameter needs only be roughly 4.5", then a standard CD / DVD is 4.75" in dia, just stack them up and glue them together until you have the right thickness? Probably not what you want but just an idea ...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
1helios1
Officer

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 02:57:03 am »

i am not familiar with all the machining lingo, but the problem is essentialy that the distance from the center of the chuck, to the track, is less than the radius of the piece i need.

i dont have a table saw unfortunately

one of my first methods for trying to create the disks was to cast them using the cover from a cd spindle, sadly the plastic the cover is made from warps to easily. and cds themselves simply wont work, since i am going to need to do a bit of machining on the disks once i have them (drilling a few holes, etc)

i guess in the mean time i shall consider custom work, though i cant say i like the idea.

Thanks for all the replies!
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:52:07 am »

You might want to see if either an online provider, such as Ponoko, or a local shop in your area, can laser-cut the disks. Partly, this depends on what actual material you need, and how accurate the thickness has to be. Also check ShopBot outfits, since CNC routers can cut dang-near anything plastic.
If you have a router, a router-table setup might also work.
1helios1
Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:26:57 am »

i do have a very old router lying around, and i may try something with that.

im fascinated by ponoko, i had never heard of it before, very interesting.
Affian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Steam.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:48:33 am »

They are a laser cutting outfit in Wellington, New Zealand. www.ponoko.com

Baron Nicodemus Ainsworth
ÆON
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: