The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 12:07:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Although not "Punk" these guys definitely had the steam  (Read 2366 times)
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« on: March 02, 2007, 10:41:33 am »

Typing around on steam yesterday brought up this article (that I didn't know had been written)

http://www.steamtraction.com/archive/2861/

And this holds a special place in my heart.  Although the article was written 10 years before I was born, I was one of those children playing all around.  Pat Steinkuhl, my great grandfather and the man whose name I am not fit to carry, owned the engine and I remember all of these guys except the 86 year old they talked about.  Guess he was gone by the time I was running around.

But it talks about my great grandfather and several of my uncles.

enjoy!

-Patrick

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Dr.zuzus
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:35:54 pm »

Cool, beautiful little insight. Smiley
TheClockWorkWasteland
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:38:37 pm »

That's very cool.  Thanks for the link.  I remember seeing a steam tractor once at Burning Man; they're amazing!  One thing that I love about them is that they have so much more torque than diesel tractors.  Also, whereas diesel tractors will tend to conk out when they exceed their pull limit, steam engines will just break, sending scalding vapor everywhere.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:39:46 pm »

Does your family still have the engine?  That's quite an heirloom.  Even if your level of knowledge doesn't meet with his, I would be quite proud if I were you to bear the name.

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
Kabuki
Snr. Officer

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 08:05:13 pm »

It's Trevor, the Traction Engine!  Sorry...  Another T.t.T.E. reference...

The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 08:10:33 pm »

It's Trevor, the Traction Engine!  Sorry...  Another T.t.T.E. reference...

E.G.  (that's egad BTB)
and I'm sure Trevor is very useful indeed.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 08:55:56 pm »

well, i had to do some research with the family to figure out where this thing is.

the thing has passed through the family about 6 times since this article.  Unfortunately, these guys are all gone now, but it is still in the family.  Just hasn't been run in a number of years.

after i get a little more experienced with this stuff, i will see if i can't get my grandfather to get it running again.

but caught an interesting quote on another steam-tractor site:

"Today, Leroy regrets that he didn’t spend more time with his dad asking questions about steam. “Dad talked about steam all the time, but during those days I was too busy working. That’s how we are, though. We don’t take the time when we should, and pay attention, and that’s exactly what happened with me. I was old enough to know better, but not smart enough to do better,” he laughs."

Kinda makes sense!

P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:58:01 pm by OHebel Wring » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: