The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 07:01:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixing a dislodged knob...  (Read 892 times)
jringling
Time Traveler
United States United States

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« on: August 17, 2010, 08:45:39 pm »

For some fool reason I was working on my walking stick last night... you know the one with the cool stone doorknob... and the stone part separated from the steel shank... It appears the cavity of the stone was filled with molten lead and the mushroom shaped shaft was placed in it. The lead hardened and the shaft was held in place. While hammering on the cane, the shock crumbled the lead and the knob fell off!

So here are afew questions...

1. How do I heat the stone to melt out the lead? slowly in an oven? Just use a propane torch? or do I drill and chip it out?

2. Once the cavity is clean, how do I reattach the stone to the shaft? Can I melt solder and pour it in the stone? would the stone have to be preheated? Should I just use an epoxy? maybe epoxy putty? Bondo?

Anyone ever do this before?

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:13 pm »

You have to be careful when heating rock - if it's porous and there's any moisture in crack or cavities, this could turn to steam and crack your knob. So take it easy when you're heating it. Chiseling out the lead is also a bad idea - you're likely to just break the whole thing. To melt it, you need to heat it to over 620 degrees F. most ovens won't go that high. Try a blowtorch, but heat the knob evenly and slowly turn up the heat, that should work..

To re-attach it, you can re-use the lead, but I would opt for epoxy I think, depending on the size of the cavity to be filled.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:20:25 pm »

Go for the epoxy putty, it will give you more than one attempt at getting it right.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:58:22 pm »

Or you could try using something like Woods Metal or Rose's Metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood%27s_metal
http://www.tiranti.co.uk/product.asp?Product=1494
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_metal

Visit my Facebook page Jason's Gems Jewellery at jasonsgemsjewellery
or my website Jason's Gems
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 02:17:35 am »

Molten lead, or lead alloy, used to be very commonly used for anchoring fixtures into concrete and masonry by casting in place, but I've never seen much thought given to its removal... I think that the suggestion of using an epoxy (if you use a resin, you may want to consider adding glass fiber or microspheres for toughness and cavity-filling) is a good one to start with. You may want to see if you can wrangle out any loose bits of metal first.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 03:32:20 am »

I endorse JB Weld. Use dremel type rotory tools for lead removal. (and if you do use rotory tools, use some form of dust mask) *I'm sure you knew that already but I thought it worth mentioning*
Goggles of course are a given.

Arvis

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: