The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 11:31:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glowing Water?  (Read 10217 times)
Aeryenne Tederich
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Illusionist

« on: August 14, 2010, 05:47:53 am »

(I think this goes here. Does this go here? I'm hoping this goes here.)

Wotcher, all.

Quick little question from the Tederich. This is something of a shot in the dark, but does anybody know of any way to cause water to glow without using a blacklight/UV bulb? I was previously using the very simple, yet very effective, hightlighter-pen-fluid method, but my blacklight exploded on me earlier and I've been left somewhat in the lurch without it - I've ordered a new one, but I have no idea if it will arrive in time for the event I need it for.

I mean, if worst comes to the worst I'll just plop green food colouring in filtered water and leave it at that, but I was very, very fond of the glow. Any help at all (if any is possible in this case, I really have no idea if it can be done) would be greatly appreciated!

Ta!

"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
 - Robert Frost
Kail
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:14:22 am »

i wouldnt suggest this if you are going to drink it, but you could just break open a glow stick and pour the liquid into the water that will glow without any lights for a good 8 hours
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:25:33 pm »

That would also be my suggestion, you can buy some rather large glowsticks. Just keep in mind how much and how long they glow will depend on the temperature.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Aeryenne Tederich
Snr. Officer

The Illusionist

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 01:22:27 pm »

Huh, I never thought of that! The water isn't for drinking purposes, so I'll certainly give it a shot - thank you kindly, gentlemen, it's much appreciated!
cressenttree33
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:46:50 am »

Hi there Im a newb here, but I have been on other sites and they have used hand sanitizer and LED's to make it "glow". Depending on your application they make 3mm and 5mm UV LED's that work just as well as a black light. I was going to use this idea until my cash flow thinned out, so to the back burner it goes for now. I run on sorry, If you have questions I would love to help, just because I cant work on something doesnt mean I cant help others.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:50:15 am »

What causes the hand sanitizer to glow? ArenĀ“t they mostly alcohol?
cressenttree33
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 01:12:53 am »

when light is used on any tinted liquid it will "glow" to a degree Im trying to find the thread on Mandalorian Merc site that will show you guys what i am talking about. The are a starwars costuming group.
Please excuse my bad spelling, Im more used to talking than writing.
cressenttree33
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:29:13 am »

okay this is the idea I was trying to get across. I know that its not perfect but its and idea to start some one off. Just in case its the tube of blue stuff.  My thought was if you use a UV LED and some dye and a small power supply it should make a pretty sweet effect. 

http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=18612.0
Aeryenne Tederich
Snr. Officer

The Illusionist

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 12:21:16 pm »

Thanks for the link, Cressenttree, I'll give it a shot! And as my blacklight hasn't yet been delivered I'd better go and get started with testing both ideas...ta once again ^_Q
Oneiros
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Lord of Glancairn

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 03:26:47 pm »

I used a 5mw green laser once to light up someones drink from about 100 feet away.

What really matters is what you do with what you have. - H. G. Wells
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 10:07:01 pm »

I used a 5mw green laser once to light up someones drink from about 100 feet away.
If the liquid is a bit murky lazers will light it very well as the photons will bounce around inside the fluid between the particles of murk suspended in it Grin
I advise lighting it with lazer light from the top or bottom so as to avoid pointing the beam horizontally and inadvertantly into someone's eyeball.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Kail
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 02:34:04 am »

Glowsticks In A Toilet (The Rave Toilet)
where i got the idea to use glowsiticks from
cressenttree33
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 03:35:54 am »

Let me know how things go and what route you went.  Im curious to see how things went.
Tom90deg
Officer

Goggles, and a pensive look

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 10:02:50 am »

I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but when I modded a nerf gun, I put 3 glowing "rods" on the side. I had them filled with water mixed with a bit of glow-in-the-dark green paint. I used PVC pipes, and stuck UV LEDS on the end, it actually fit right in tightly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It worked pretty well, not sure how big the amount of water you need to light up is though.

No one's anti-Steampunk. Unless, of course, you have a irrational hatred of goggles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: