The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:12:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Nickel Plating  (Read 6295 times)
thegreenfaerie13
Officer
United States United States

« on: August 12, 2010, 10:01:49 pm »

Hello to you.  I was hoping to pick your brains and see if you could help me figure out how to remove nickel plating off a brass object.  This weeked, I found a tiny (about 2.5" long and .75 inches across) metal match holder for a dollar.  Initially, I was just going to paint it copper or brass, but upon doing a bit of web research, I found that it is nickel plated brass.  Why paint it when it's just underneath?  Again, more research yeilded some toxic results which I won't be able to do in my appartment, and nickel strippers.  I like the idea of a nickel stripper but not the price.  The least expensive I could find was $60 and that's not including shipping.  So, here's the question: is there an inexpensive and relatively non-toxic way of removing nickel plating from brass?
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:22:06 pm »

Sandpaper, or dremel and a wire brush or drum sanding tool is about the only thing I can come up with.

thegreenfaerie13
Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:47:03 pm »

I thought of that as well.  The ouside has a rough finish to strike the match on and I don't want to loose that ability.

Here is a ebay listing for the exact same match holder that I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MATCH-SAFE-HOLDER-WATER-TIGHT-FISHING-LURE-/380258259997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:27:08 pm »

Sandpaper, or dremel and a wire brush or drum sanding tool is about the only thing I can come up with.

Seconded... 220 wet paper, then switch to 400 wet. Steel wire wheel over the rough area.

sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:34 am »

I have striped plating off with a car battery charger and salt water electrolyte..fill a bowl with salty water attach the object to one terminal and use a lump of metal(a spoon or whatever) for the other... the plating falls off easily. (if its not working try swapping the contacts.)

thegreenfaerie13
Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:48:06 pm »

Hmm, I will try the car battery charger and salt water electrolyte first as I'm worried I'll scratch the metal with the sandpaper route.  As soon as it's done I'll make sure update!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:55:08 pm »

I have striped plating off with a car battery charger and salt water electrolyte..fill a bowl with salty water attach the object to one terminal and use a lump of metal(a spoon or whatever) for the other... the plating falls off easily. (if its not working try swapping the contacts.)

Good suggestion.  Thoroughly clean/degrease it first.  Alcohol should work.  Any oils could cause it to de-plate patchy. 

-Karl
TechDante
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

temporay till i finish my steampunk outfit

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »

i would sudgest trying to find a local workshop that has the facilities and befriending teh owner to see if they will dip the piece for you

Why those snipers couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: