The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 07:24:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A request for suggestions  (Read 764 times)
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cererean
« on: August 07, 2010, 09:09:20 pm »

Esteemed colleagues, I notice we are living in a new era that is certainly not Steampunk, or even dieselpunk, while not being quite cyberpunk or biopunk - temporally, it's closest probably to atompunk, despite having more in common with the one immediately preceding said era; dieselpunk. We live, it appears, in an inbetween era, a turning point in which we could go in a variety of exciting possible directions. In the future, then, it is likely that people will look back, and, being people, will choose to build an aesthetic - nay, a culture - around what we have done today.

So I come to you with a request - what shall it be named?

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:14:38 pm »

Soon after posting this thread, it occurred to me that, unlike other era's, there is no majoritarian cultural norm to be followed by those in the future. Yes, the general mood of the times is Apocalyptic, punctuated by the occasional sign of goodwill, but a mood alone is only a part. There is no defining Aesthetic; today, one might equally consider tight skinny jeans as much the defining aesthetic as tracksuits.

Therefore, and in light of this, I declare this era... thoroughly mashed. Yes, we have attained mashpunk. No, Mashpunk.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:33:26 pm »

My personal view was always that time followed this line:

1800s-1990 Steampunk (setting)
1990-1950 Dieselpunk (setting)
1951-1960 Atompunk (setting)
1961-1990 Hell on Earth (I cannot think of anything awesome for this era....Digipunk? Or Cyberpunk?) (birth of the movement)
1990-Future Definately Cyberpunk into the future, although we seem to have done away with the neon, flashy lights and chrome and turned more into sleek lines, clean white surfaces and minimalism in our new technology..... (birth of the movement)

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Mr Bellows
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:36:15 pm »

An interesting premise master space pilot, but I feel you have the wrong of it.
WE live in an era where the masses glorify thieves & liars. Where they raise villains to the highest accolades possible while up-standing, intelligent &/or honest people from all walks of life are trodden underfoot or treated as "lesser citizens" because they DARE to be different.
Where the latest stlyle is to wear trousers that sit beneath your buttocks & fall down constantly & to communicate using increasingly unintelligible noises. Surely this shows that should this era ever survive somewhere in the history books of times to come it will show that the "majoritarian cultural norm" as you so eloquently put it is one of overwhelming stupidity or complete apathy & so to get back on topic I would declare this era...."Idiot-punk", or maybe "Dumb-punk" for our continental cousins. Or even (A)pathetic-punk although maybe thats pushing it abit  Wink

In my opinion it ain't the weapon that counts, its the man that wields it that matters
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:45:11 pm »

Mr. Bellows, why sully the proud name of "punk" to describe the Marching Morons?

Besides, there have always been sheep, shepherds, and wolves in human culture.  Distance (in time or space) allows us to see and appreciate the shepherds and wolves, but they are always the minority amongst the sheep.  I do not believe the current age has any greater number or percentage of dummies, although the increase in communication opportunities brings them more attention.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:55:20 pm »

I do not believe the current age has any greater number or percentage of dummies, although the increase in communication opportunities brings them more attention.

I like 'dumb-punk' as a term for our age, since while there may not be more dumbasses in proportion compared to previous times, there are far more opportunities for education now- that are not made use of. Therefore it could be said that the dumbskulls of today are willfully dumb.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Minjoltr
Zeppelin Admiral

Asker of Questions

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:01:08 pm »

I'm only a young wee thing but I think some of the major characteristics of the 80s up to the present day have been the glorification of the Brand, the increasing tendency towards a disposable society and the permeation of digital media into everything it can touch.  I think we're probably early-cyberpunk.  Postmodern, if you believe in it.

The villains have always been the ones who win, as far back as history remembers.  
I don't really see it as apocalyptic, more that civilisation is 'coasting' and has been for some time but has only recently realised that it might be heading for a cliff and is trying desperately to shake off the cramp it has developed and work out how to apply the brakes.

Join Minnie in the IRC.  All of the cool people are doing it - you should too.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:28:15 pm »

Quote from: Mr Bellows
WE live in an era where the masses glorify thieves & liars. Where they raise villains to the highest accolades possible while up-standing, intelligent &/or honest people from all walks of life are trodden underfoot or treated as "lesser citizens" because they DARE to be different.
Where the latest stlyle is to wear trousers that sit beneath your buttocks & fall down constantly & to communicate using increasingly unintelligible noises. Surely this shows that should this era ever survive somewhere in the history books of times to come it will show that the "majoritarian cultural norm" as you so eloquently put it is one of overwhelming stupidity or complete apathy & so to get back on topic I would declare this era...."Idiot-punk", or maybe "Dumb-punk" for our continental cousins. Or even (A)pathetic-punk although maybe thats pushing it a bit.
I must disagree with you there, Mr Bellows. It has been my experience that there is no "style" of wearing clothing - there are instead many different styles. We have a tendency to look back at the past through rose tinted brass goggles, to coin a phrase. Dickens wrote that the Victorian times were a tale of two cities. Today, there are more than two.

I'm only a young wee thing but I think some of the major characteristics of the 80s up to the present day have been the glorification of the Brand, the increasing tendency towards a disposable society and the permeation of digital media into everything it can touch.  I think we're probably early-cyberpunk.  Postmodern, if you believe in it.
I have also noticed the opposite, the moving away from a mass culture. It may be that, rather than there being one brand, we now have a multitude of aesthetics and styles. There's a fightback against the permeation of control - indeed, this is one of the very definitions of punk. Most people want to be different, but are duped into being the same.

All things considered, I would have to dub this Polypunk. The clash between the past, present, future, and alternate, timelines.
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:14:01 pm »

As I remember reading a history book, and talking to my historian at school, we live in one of those 'mediocre eras' which happen every now and then between more hilighted ones, one of them being the Medieval, so I am sorry to announce that this era is the second medieval, or Medievalpunk Tongue

C.C.
Daen_Hammerhand
Swab

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 06:24:59 am »

Where the latest stlyle is to wear trousers.. 

DOWN WITH PANTS! UP WITH UNBIFURCATED GARMENTS! Cheesy

My pro-kilts/mannerrock proselytizing aside..

I submit that the current era be labeled "The Doldrums" or "Listlesspunk"
MatthiasKoenig
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 08:12:09 am »

Where the latest stlyle is to wear trousers that sit beneath your buttocks & fall down constantly & to communicate using increasingly unintelligible noises. Surely this shows that should this era ever survive somewhere in the history books of times to come it will show that the "majoritarian cultural norm" as you so eloquently put it is one of overwhelming stupidity or complete apathy & so to get back on topic I would declare this era...."Idiot-punk", or maybe "Dumb-punk" for our continental cousins. Or even (A)pathetic-punk although maybe thats pushing it abit  Wink

"WE live in an era where the masses glorify thieves & liars. Where they raise villains to the highest accolades possible while up-standing, intelligent &/or honest people from all walks of life are trodden underfoot or treated as "lesser citizens" because they DARE to be different.
Where the latest stlyle is to wear trousers that sit beneath your buttocks & fall down constantly & to communicate using increasingly unintelligible noises. "

If it's all the same to you, good sir, I'm thinking of doing a leaflet bombing campaign in my city, and would like to use this on one of the leaflets.

Destroy the wicked, so the good may prosper.
Elisa Johnstone
Gunner

Meleus flecti quam frangi.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 11:07:01 am »

I rather find the medieval era quite interesting, so I don't think medievalpunk is a good fit.

While I agree the last decade or so has been somewhat unexciting and fraught with an amazing amount of pride in being lazy and other negative choices/behaviors...the teen years of every century for at the last millenium has had a war of world-wide proportations (realtively speaking) where who was allied with whom was rather different from what anyone would have expected.  We could be moving into interesting times all too soon.  Let us not wish for such, lest we get what we wish for.

The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving. ~ United States Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 12:46:58 pm »

Most people want to be different, but are duped into being the same.

Actually Sir most people feel they want to belong.  Just what they belong to is the difference between them.  It is rare that a subculture comes along that actually encourages difference.  Groups tend to "normalise" without trying.  Some of us actively push steampunk and move the goalposts as much as we can to try and avoid normalisation but that is an aside.

Because of the media explosion (internet, broadcast, recorded) the world has become a celebration of celebrity however meaningless that may be.  Even remote tribes might be found with an individual wearing a David Beckham shirt for example.

The current period anachronised would become "media-punk"  (well its a lot kinder than D-listcelebritypunk.)   

BE SPLENDID!
Mr Bellows
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 06:33:09 pm »

"WE live in an era where the masses glorify thieves & liars. Where they raise villains to the highest accolades possible while up-standing, intelligent &/or honest people from all walks of life are trodden underfoot or treated as "lesser citizens" because they DARE to be different.
Where the latest stlyle is to wear trousers that sit beneath your buttocks & fall down constantly & to communicate using increasingly unintelligible noises. "

If it's all the same to you, good sir, I'm thinking of doing a leaflet bombing campaign in my city, and would like to use this on one of the leaflets.

By all means my good Sir, use my words as Ammunition & bomb away good sir, bomb away with my blessings
MatthiasKoenig
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 01:46:21 am »

Many thanks....sent you a PM...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: