The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 10:31:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Information on Watchmaker?  (Read 923 times)
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« on: July 26, 2010, 03:42:09 pm »

I have just acquired another English fusee pocket watch and I'm trying to find information about the watchmaker who made it.

The plate is signed 'S. H. Haycock - Ramsgate', and the case is hallmarked for London, 1856.

To my untutored eye this looks like a very nice piece of work, but I'm by no means an expert. I've got it running quite strongly and I'm currently fiddling with the regulation. I'll probably take it to my local watchmaker for a full professional servicing as it's just too nice to risk me b*ggering it up.

I have found mention of S H Haycock, but nothing about him or the quality of his timepieces. Can anyone help me?

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

watch_guy
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:40:52 pm »

With a few exceptions, English watches were enough of a cottage industry(with so many obscure makers) that it's difficult to judge the quality of a movement from just the name.

From the date, though, I'd guess it to be a lever fusee. In general, these are pretty decent timepieces-capable of an accuracy of a minute or two a day in good serviced condition(better than that if it has a split bimetallic balance).

Any chance you could post a photo of the movement? That would go a long way toward judging the quality.
Master Tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:01:52 am »

As with the movement itself, I'm afraid the the picture is not of the highest quality but should fulfill its function.

The movement is pretty much 42mm x 12mm.

I had thought that I was getting fairly close with the regulation, but it has become somewhat erratic over the last few days, and seems to lose its beat very easily. Considering what it cost me (pretty much just the value of the case), I've decided it's definitely going to a professional for a servicing.

I'd still like to find something about the maker though - it makes the piece that much more interesting.

Master Tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:58:35 am »

Nobody can help me?

Oh well...

Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:16:14 pm »

You want to see if you can find a copy of a book called "Watch and Clockmakers of the World" by Brian Loomes. It'll likely contain at least a line that references the maker...usually not much more then where they were located and what years they operated in.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Master Tinkerer

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:46:37 pm »

Ah! Thank you, I will certainly look out for that book.

I'm already in communication with Mr Loomes son, Robert, in connection with having the silver and gilt face of another watch restored. Perhaps I should just ask him.  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: