The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:02:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airsoft Gunblade? Anybody ever make one?  (Read 3936 times)
hardlec
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Solutions do not need Problems

« on: July 26, 2010, 02:44:49 pm »

I am looking to (slowly) construct an airsoft gunblade. 

There are occasionally airsoft pistols available cheap.

Has anyone tried this before?

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »

http://www.instructables.com/id/Final-fantasy-VIII-Gunblade-replica/

hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:53:14 am »

This particular instructible is a simple display of an impressive project.  It doesn't really show how to make the item.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:44:43 am »

could you be more specific about what you want?

are you looking for a heavy, finely detailed replica for static display? or a sturdy but safe replica for cons and events? do you want the airsoft pistol to still function and fire through the blade?

I made an axe/pistol out of wood and pvc pipe, with the blade from a piece of plywood. the plywood was ground and sanded and then bondo applied to get a smooth finish.

I have made big tools and blades from pink celotex foam with an aluminum duct tape skin, only slightly fragile but sturdy enough to carry and definitely safe to others.

I would make the grip from a piece of wood and the blade from foam, the pistol itself could be almost any gun out there. I have picked up dollar squirt guns that are modeled on a dirty harry style 44 revolver. the gun could be modded from one of those or an airsoft. if you want an airsoft that still fires then a tube would have to be inset on the top of the foam blade and the gun barrel too. real care around the rear grip, since the action inside the frame would be hard to work around when attaching the grip.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 11:18:32 am »

This particular instructible is a simple display of an impressive project.  It doesn't really show how to make the item.

Best I could find in 30 seconds of googling.. Grin
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:34:50 am »

I am looking for a prop I can carry to cons and events, something that will pass casual inspection.
In clear terms:  I want a toy I can play with, but not hurt anyone, especially me. 
I like the "bowie-knife" style blade.  As far as the pistol is concerned, well I am looking for an elegant weapon. although a peacemaker has a certain "style" to it....

I search the instructibles pages regularly.   

Lots of good stuff.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 10:29:25 am »

Something wih a longer barrel would make it easier to attah a blade to.. there are these metal .357 Magnum-styled lighters that might work, assuming the blade bit wasn't too heavy.. Flintlocks might be easier to work with still - the wooden stocks would be great anchor points for a blade..
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:02:34 am »

neat lighter, altho it's pricey, but I guess it's probably a bit expensive to make to begin with.

it's hard to see in there, but the base gun in my howdah is a magnum squirt gun that cost all of a dollar.

I cut off the grip where it met the frame and added a block of wood inside the frame, sticking out the back and shaped so the grip panels fit it.
I added the extra barrels and a few other doo-dads but you could easily glue the barrel to a block of styrofoam or even cut open the front of the gun frame (and cut away the barrel) and simply glue the foam into the frame. like I said before, the styrofoam shapes fairly easily and is pretty strong once you wrap it in some aluminum duct tape.

here is a wrench I made from foam, you can see it before I covered it with the tape and painted it.

the knuckle duster is just glued into place with low temp hot glue, the aluminum tape does most of the holding.
figure $15 for the roll of metal tape, $5 for a 1 inch thich piece of pink celotex insulation and a buck for the squirt gun. sanding sponges and paint another $10 maybe and most of all your outlay is for stuff you can use in a bunch more projects.

once you try your hand at shaping some foam and taping it over, you will want to make replicas of all kinds of cra... stuff.

the only down side is the mess, foam static clings to EVERYTHING. either you sit in front of a shop vacc (and go deaf) or work outside and vacc up afterwards. the basic shapes can be cut out with a bread knife of a hack saw blade or even a coping saw. you can lay out your blade shape in magic marker and the ink will actually dissolve the foam a bit, you can use that effect to do the engraving in the blade. after you cover it in tape you can push down on it with a balled up rag and the soft rag will stretch the tape and force it into the indented foam. you will need to prick of slit the tape to let the airpockets out from under the tape to push it all the way in.  don't make the indents to deep or the tape won't stretch enough and will just split. not a deal breaker but its hard to cut little pieces of tape and lay them in the grooves.
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:42:40 pm »

Is there an airsoft varient of the flintlock pistol?
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 09:39:19 am »

Otto, did you shape the grips yorslef, or did you buy those somewhere?
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 12:38:36 pm »

the grips I made myself. I roughly cut out the frame wood so it fit into the gun and was about the shape I wanted.
I cut a block of wood bigger than the grip and then rounded one end to match the curves of the plastic gun. I then sawed the block down the middle to make the two halves.
I drilled three holes through the wood center frame, one for the screw to hold the two grips in place and two holes to dowel pin them from moving. I just cut two pins from a D nail and holding one grip to one side I drilled one of the holes for the dowel closest to the gun, put the pin in and then drilled the second pin hole. after that I drilled a through hole for the screw.
removing that grip I repeated the process for the other side, except the screw hole was shallow and smaller for the screw to hold into (a wood screw)
I made sure the holes weren't too deep so that they broke through the outside of the grip

once the grips were capable of being screwed on, I assembled them and carefully cut the grips to the shape of the center frame, then rounded them off and finally sanded to a good finish.
then disassembled again to sand the sharp edges a little and to paint and stain the different parts. the screw hole I deepened and used a shorter screw so as not to poke through the far grip.
a variant of this method is to drill a hole through both grips bit slightly offset so each won't hit the other, then a smaller hole in the frame for each grip and a nice screw to hold them down.
that way each screw gets plenty of bite without running into the other screw.

another way to do a quick grip is to shape a solid piece of wood then scribe fake seams in the wood where it meets the metal center. a dremel cutoff wheel can cut a shallow line in the wood easily, and depth isn't critical at all (just eyewash) drill two fake screw holes for the grips and add the screws.
I usually stain the wood grips then mask off that and paint the center section, making sure to get paint into the cuts. you can even rub paint into the grooves first if you stain and seal the grips first and use latex or water based enamel to fill them in, the excess wipes right off the wood and any extra will just antique the finish. let it dry and mask and paint like I said before.

you can see the groove in this one, I haven't painted it yet. need to get back to work on it

this one was just a piece of press board, had to fake the woodgrain.

no lines at all, just stained and finished the whole thing and it looks fine.

the whole center frame is just painted. the gun is one piece of wood, I grooved all around frame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: